What's new

Riding the cap

So, I made a change to my shaving technique a few shaves ago and have found the results to be quite incredible... I started 'riding the cap'.

I had been getting some annoying ingrowns at the bottom of my neck either side of the Adam's apple, something I have always had but it had been quite noticeable the last few weeks, and shaving over them day-after-day doesn't help the healing process. So I stopped shaving for a few days just to give it some recovery time.

When it came time to get back into it, I took notice of the scalloped top edge on the cap of my Merkur 39C and thought that maybe it's there for a reason and it's designed to engage with my face while shaving, so I sought to make sure I felt that top edge through my shaving. The results have been remarkable. My skin feels so much better post shave, even when the stubble comes back the skin on my face still feels smooth. I haven't been doing the 3-pass shaves, just 2-pass, but the results have been so good that I don't need to do a third passes. I always thought I had the angle sorted, and had been getting good results since I used less pressure, but having those annoying ingrowns made me think that maybe I had been sloppy or needed to refine what I'm doing. Obviously, time will tell if I'm doing the right thing, but for now, it seems to be working.

I hope this isn't like one of those 'yeah... derrrrrrrr' moments but like I said, I always thought I had it right. Has anyone else gone through the same thing?

The secret is keeping the blade as close to parallel with the skin as possible. That facilitates a cutting action, rather than a scraping action when the blade is at a steeper angle. That's the reason why injector razors are generally the easiest to get a good shave with. The flatness of the head and the curve of the handle ensure that the blade is at a very shallow angle to the skin.

The secret is keeping the blade as close to parallel with the skin as possible. That facilitates a cutting action, rather than a scraping action when the blade is at a steeper angle. That's the reason why injector razors are generally the easiest to get a good shave with. The flatness of the head and the curve of the handle ensure that the blade is at a very shallow angle to the skin.

I think you've hit the nail on the head re scraping... that is the effect you get at the steeper angle... well put!

Riding the cap gave me the break through I needed when I was struggling with DE shaving a year ago.
As it turned out, worked extremely well with my Feather AS-D2.
So much so it's the only DE razor I will shave with now.

And that lead me on to Injectors. Which as @xxvaleria pointed out, they naturaly shave with a shallow angle.

If you ever try an Artist Club, shavette or a straight - shallow is the way to go.

For me, steep angles mean scraping the skin, which is the direct cause of irritatition.

Excellent. I've found this is also the secret behind getting great shaves with many different designs, particularly the early Gillette open combs like the Old type.

Yep. I discovered the same thing at the beginning of this year (with lots of advice and encouragement). Now they call me . . .

95163294-E8D9-4667-B420-6134E9A0723A.jpeg

Just wanted to comment that what you're saying has been my experience and especially with vintage razors with more than a little blade exposure. Too steep will result in slicing the skin. The blade is already at the correct angle depending on the design.

Excellent. I've found this is also the secret behind getting great shaves with many different designs, particularly the early Gillette open combs like the Old type.
+1
I became aware of and converted to a shallow angle and no pressure when I started using my NEW SC. From there it was a short step to an Old Type and a Canadian Goodwill #164. Every razor shaves better for me with the shallow angle and no pressure. My 1957 Tech gave me a terrific shave this morning. With a Tech you can get away with pressure, but why once you realize you don’t need it.

The biggest takeaway for me is that a good practiced technique can work across many razors and make each of them better.

To all you cap riders, ask yourself why razors have guards and various gaps? If you ride the cap and use an adjustable, do you notice a difference between 1 and 9? If you don't have an adjustable, try shimming your razor with two or three shims and ask yourself the same question.

Gap shouldn't make any difference if you ride the cap - gap only comes into play if the guard touches your face. I'm sure most of you will answer that gap does make a difference. If so, you're not shaving as shallow as you think you are.

In addition, steep shaving, done properly, does in no way "scrape" your face. If scraping is what you experience shaving steep, you're going it wrong, and basing your opinion on it.

Steep angle shaver here, and a two-time Century Club alumni (100 shaves on a single blade). Scraping with a dull blade - I must be mad ;-)

Gap shouldn't make any difference if you ride the cap . . .

Yes, precisely. The only time it makes a difference is in how ‘dangerous’ it is when you’re going around corners and might leave the cap at times. But the best results I’ve had are with the shallowest angle, so yes, gap is mostly irrelevant.

"Riding the cap" may be a little too extreme on some razors, but I do believe there is a sweet spot for most razors that often favors placing the cap on the face, at least somewhat.

The exception would be a razor that was excessively aggressive. Lowering the handle for a steeper angle and lessening the pressure would dampen the aggressiveness on some razors for some shavers on some faces with some fragile types of skin. YMMV. Experimentation is one of the roads to success.

Interesting topic.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
To all you cap riders, ask yourself why razors have guards and various gaps? If you ride the cap and use an adjustable, do you notice a difference between 1 and 9?

I've never used an adjustable DE, but if I understand the mechanics correctly, yes an adjustable would make a difference to a cap rider - the presentation angle of the blade to the face would change.

I think cap riding makes more sense with a closed comb razor (my preferred type of DE). An open toothed comb will go through stubble to some extent, whereas a closed comb would ride on top of stubble, and scrape most of the lather away before the blade gets there. Hardly beneficial.

I'm not saying you're doing it wrong, Rudy, I'm just saying that the others aren't doing it wrong either ;)

Top Bottom