What's new

Ridiculous eBay auction

Yeah, I know. The title could describe practically all eBay auctions.

However, I was searching through the 'bay and came across a razor being sold as a photography prop. It's not BIN, so I can't link to it, but if you're curious search for "RAZOR PHOTOGRAPHY PROP."

The seller says the following: "it's safe to use in your photography studio as long as you don't install razor blades in it."

That seems like a reasonable warning - but then the next caveat is in RED: Warning - This is a fully functional prop without razor blades installed. DO NOT INSTALL RAZOR BLADES IN IT OR IT COULD CAUSE HARM OR BE FATAL TO YOUR SUBJECTS!

A guess a seller has to cover his bases... but "FATAL?" Seriously?

Last edited:
*Note - All other props pictured in the sample images are not included. They can be purchased separately at our eBay store.

Sweet, they even sell kids wonder if you can't put food in them lest they become fatal?

Not so sure if I like the little girl photo subject shaving her leg in the bathtub. That photo may be illegal in some states!

Disclaimer: OP is not responsible for the nature of the photography

It does seem a bit creepy.

Last edited:
Why pay $25 for these when you can buy a Weishi for about $10? At least then you can use it without causing certain death.

Why didn't they make non-functional props?

that is weird, not as weird as the photograph they used but weird none the less.
"Warning - This is a fully functional prop without razor blades installed. DO NOT INSTALL RAZOR BLADES IN IT OR IT COULD CAUSE HARM OR BE FATAL TO YOUR SUBJECTS!" must be like a an adjustable on 9 or something :)

This is because their clients are going to be children. Props for portrait studios. Adults don't take pictures like this. They force their children to do this and frame it and hang it on the wall.

That photo to me looks like they are for want of a better description sexually charging the image and child and in my mind that is wrong and wouldnt want my child posed in a scene like that..

Oh I understand that. In today's society it's easy to perceive exploitation around every corner. Men nowadays shy away from even speaking to children who aren't their own for fear of being seen as a pedophile. I'm just saying consider the target audience for this ad. This seller sells a lot of props, for people who run portrait studios.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Oh I understand that. In today's society it's easy to perceive exploitation around every corner. Men nowadays shy away from even speaking to children who aren't their own for fear of being seen as a pedophile. I'm just saying consider the target audience for this ad. This seller sells a lot of props, for people who run portrait studios.

I agree it's easy to perceive exploitation. So, in a society that easily perceives it, why would you propagate the idea with a shot like that, and a comment like that? If it is "just for photo props" leave it at that, no need for a picture at all, let alone a little girl in a bathtub shaving her legs.
In my humble opinion, "adultization" of children in our society is disgusting. If that crap wasn't done JonBenet Ramsey might be alive today.
Ok, let's assume that a kids picture, instead of an adult HAD to be taken, let's say a professional photographer who is theoretically an artist in subject composition doesn't have the imagination required to be able to see how a razor could be used in a photograph. Why not an upper shoulder shot of a young boy with shaving cream on his face? Certainly the Gillette baby isn't perceived to be an example of potential pedophilia.
Nope. I stand by my original opinion that it is in fact improper.

And why do you ALWAYS seem to come down on the side of E-bay when ANYONE is criticized?

Last edited:
So, in a society that easily perceives it, why would you propagate the idea with a shot like that, and a comment like that?

Your average Joe isn't the person whom the seller would reasonably assume to be opening that ad to look at it. Again, it is the target audience you have to consider.

And I seem always to come down on the side of eBay (or rather, the side of the seller who has something listed on eBay) because the point of view of the seller is most definitely lacking in threads where eBay comes up. Few understand the side of the seller here; where his shoe pinches; what costs, risks, and rules he has to follow.

Top Bottom