What's new

Rick Harrison razor sighting at Wally World!

I secretly wish that DE shaving would stay more of a niche hobby. In the year and a half I've been into this the prices of razors on EBay have continuously gone up.... but it'll also be harder to collect the older razors.

I think you're incorrect that a renaissance in DE popularity would make it harder to collect.

The collector interest and value - aside from an aficionado like the people here - is driven by scarcity.

If Wally World had 3 DE razor choices as a matter of course and multiple DE brand blades then the bottom would drop on eBay prices.

They should have a picture of Olivia on the package instead.

$Olivia-Black-fired-from-Pawn-Stars.jpg

Super, glad to see that good old fashioned DE razors are hopefully coming back in style. I like the late night commercial as well as Rick and of course I'm a big fan of Pawn Stars.

Looks like a Weishi razor.

Yes, it looks exactly like the Weishi I have. Even the case that is shown on the commercial looks like the case mine came with, except for the color. It looks attractive, but I have always been disappointed in the lack of closeness I have ever been able to get from mine.

Hey, it's a clone of a 50s Gillette. Those were pretty mild too.

I'm not sure handing most people a slant with Feathers to start out, now that there's practically no one like "Dad" or "Uncle Harry" to ask questions, is a great strategy.

I'll bet most guys try it with exactly what's in the package. They'll lather with whatever goop they have on hand. So mild isn't a bad place for them.

I hope they have it here, up North! I've been looking for a cheap DE for my six year old (no blades of course!) He loves to shave with me, and right now he uses a butter knife, but I think he would almost die if he could use the real thing just like Dad! I was going to use this as an excuse to buy myself a nice new or vintage razor... but at that price point, if its readily available I might just have to pick one up!

What about a $2 RiMei?

Check out some of these interesting 'drugstore' offerings available in the world market. These are dirt cheap.

Where in the "world" are these "markets"?

I think you're incorrect that a renaissance in DE popularity would make it harder to collect.

The collector interest and value - aside from an aficionado like the people here - is driven by scarcity.

If Wally World had 3 DE razor choices as a matter of course and multiple DE brand blades then the bottom would drop on eBay prices.

^What he said. Additionally, much of the additional interest would be from appliance users, not hobbyists; these are people who would say "a used razor? Eww!".

You get what you pay for and a $20 razor is what you will get

Is it 10x as good as the $2 RiMei? I don't have sufficient experience to compare, but I'm quite enjoying it, just wishing it was slightly less mild.

I actually saw the commercial on TV. I was walking through the room when it came on and it made me stop. They totally lost me when they said the 12 blades were a "one year supply of shaves". There is no DE blade that will last a month of daily shaves.

I just watched the commercial. It claimed one year out of 24 blades ("bonus"), not 12.

I'd get one but then I'd have to pay for a holder or stand to display it, when I want to sell it it could take months sitting on the BST
It's such a specialized market, I'm taking all the risk here!

Chino Hills, CA.
Not in the shaving section though... just a pallet in front of the entrance.
Stopped by Pomona and did not see any.

From the looks of the display, the DE has sold more and been looked at and put down more than the electric "groomer" on the right...

$onetouch.jpg

What about a $2 RiMei?

[...]

Is it 10x as good as the $2 RiMei? I don't have sufficient experience to compare, but I'm quite enjoying it, just wishing it was slightly less mild.

Well. I think I paid $10 for my Weishi 9306-H, and about $3.50 for my RiMei, so my question is whether it's 3X rather than 10X.

In a word, yes. The ReMei is perfectly acceptable. If sentenced to use only the ReMei for a whole year I would get by. But the TTO Weishi is noticeably higher quality.

Be aware that for both I have a sample size of one. n=1 will get you laughed at in any academic setting, so I might be completely wrong.

Both are very mild, forgiving shavers. My beard is not particularly tough, although it is fairly full. And my weathered old face is not particularly sensitive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom