What's new

Rice..

Get the bleep outa here! I'm not buying high end razors from a guy that uses an instant pot for rice! :p

This made me laugh actually because we had such a struggle with that thing before we finally figured out how to use it and not ruin food. The fact that it made perfect rice ticked us off since we can already make perfect rice in a pot. For the longest time we were determined not to just have a rice cooker on the counter and after so much trial and error, we figured out how to finesse it.

Instant pot... Sheesh....

Instant Pot is the cartridge razor of cooking. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thai Jasmine here. Buy from our local asian market in 20 lbs. bags. @flynshave is spot on. Fresh good quality Jasmine rice is so worth it.

I don't have a rice cooker, I cook mine the old fashioned way on the stove top. I rinse the rice. 2:1 watter:rice, pinch of salt, bring to a boil then gently simmer for 15min. Let rest off heat, covered, for another 15 minutes.
This is how we buy do it. Almost idiot prufe, as my wife let's me do it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I like Tilda grand extra long basmati which I cook in an idiot proof rice cooker. The wife likes Royal Umbrella or Peacock rice which she prepares sticky style on the stove top, and then often fries with a lot of garlic and some onion.

td.jpg ru.jpeg pr.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Basmati is my favorite. 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Throw everything into a pot bring to a boil cut back the heat to very very low. Cover and cook for approximately 17 to 18 minutes, that’s it. Fluff with a fork.
That’s about it for me. Jasmine or Basmati, but I use 3c water and 2c rice.

For decades I made rice just as most everyone has described. Then I started trying different liquids (or combinations) instead of just water--my usual go-to now is chicken stock. But . . .

I have also taken a liking to turmeric rice:
Melt some butter in the pot first and let it foam a bit until it juuuuuuuust starts to brown. That brings out the nutty flavor in the butter.
Toss in some chopped onion or shallots. Sweat them until translucent; 2-5 minutes for shallots, maybe 8 min or so for onions.
Toss in the rice and stir to cover in butter and onion goodness.
Add a little diced garlic and let heat through, 2 min at most. Any longer and the garlic may become bitter.
Add your liquid of choice at the recommended 2:1 ratio, along with turmeric powder to suit your preference.
Bring mixture to a low simmer and cook as usual.
Fluff with a fork when done.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
For decades I made rice just as most everyone has described. Then I started trying different liquids (or combinations) instead of just water--my usual go-to now is chicken stock. But . . .

I have also taken a liking to turmeric rice:
Melt some butter in the pot first and let it foam a bit until it juuuuuuuust starts to brown. That brings out the nutty flavor in the butter.
Toss in some chopped onion or shallots. Sweat them until translucent; 2-5 minutes for shallots, maybe 8 min or so for onions.
Toss in the rice and stir to cover in butter and onion goodness.
Add a little diced garlic and let heat through, 2 min at most. Any longer and the garlic may become bitter.
Add your liquid of choice at the recommended 2:1 ratio, along with turmeric powder to suit your preference.
Bring mixture to a low simmer and cook as usual.
Fluff with a fork when done.
Yes on the chicken stock. I also like to add a dash of turmeric or cinnamon. The turmeric turns it yellow for great effect and added health. The cinnamon is just fun.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I grew up in rice country. We ate rice all the time. Nearly all of that had a Doguet's label on the bag, but we also ate a lot of popcorn rice (similar to basmati). I can't even begin to add up how much rice & gravy I've eaten.

Everyone had a Hitachi Chime-O-Matic rice cooker. When I got my own place in college, a Chime-O-Matic was one of the first things I bought. That thing served me (and then us) well for I don't know how long--probably close to 20 years. I was a little heartbroken when it pooped out and I discovered that Hitachi quit making them. We now have an Aroma that does the same job in the same way (and is several years old).

We keep basmati, jasmine, and brown rice in the house. I occasionally get a wild hair and pick up something more exotic.

While I do like to have fun using different liquids and adding different herbs or spices to the rice, a lot of the time I just want a simple, "clean" rice flavor. When I do add something, it can be turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, garlic (fried a little), onions (also browned a little), fennel, or any combination of the above. I've always loved the aroma of cardamom with rice, as well, but we don't tend to keep cardamom around.

It's also good to toast white rice a little before cooking.

Always buy the best rice you can find.

Last year we got a clay rice cooker from Japan. It's handmade and all fired clay. It has been a revelation. I never knew rice could be so good! It's brings out the absolute best flavor imaginable. I literally can't stop eating it!

Wash the rice very well. Until the water is clear or nearly.

Soak the rice for 20 minutes if white rice. Drain and put it in the clay cooker. For each cup of rice add a cup and a hair more of water.

A little salt if desired. Or Bonito flakes if you have any. Quality Mirin, maybe a tablespoon or two per cup of rice.

Put it all on the GAS stove on very low heat. The clay must warm gradually. After 10 or 15 minutes slowly raise the heat but ultimately never more than medium-low.

Watch it and after a few puffs of steam escape let it boil for 3 or 4 minutes. Then turn off the heat and let it steam for at least 20 minutes.

Don't ever under any circumstances ever lift the lid! And don't do this in an electric stove! It'll explode the clay. Only use gentle gas!

After 20 minutes of sitting there gently fluff the rice.

Then hang on to your hat! And bring an empty stomach because you're going to devour the entire pot in one sitting!

Rice doesn't get any better than this! It literally blows people's minds.

For Brown rice soak it in water for 7 hours. Then bring to gentle boil as above. Then let it boil for about 17 minutes. Then turn off heat and let it steam itself for 30 minutes at least.

This works in a cast iron or enameled Dutch oven too!

A miracle! Thank me later.
I have a Japanese Donabe I use for all kinds of things though I've never attempted rice in it . How about a photo of your pot? Is it one of the double lid types?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210527-201643-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20210527-201648-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20210527-201653-01.jpeg

I'm familiar with Donabe for hotpot and soup, etc. This is a little different. Just a single lid, and it works great. Handmade coil pottery. I think it was $80 on AMZN.

You could try it in your Donabe per the recipe above. It'll also work in a Dutch oven on the stove, especially an enameled one (although traditional Korean rice cookers are often bare cast iron).

I highly recommend getting a clay rice cooker, if for no other reason than to be able to use your donabe and cook rice for the same meal.

By the way, the rice recipe I wrote above is the result of much research and Google translate- it's pretty much the average of how rice is or was traditionally cooked in Japan. It works with corner store rice, and make it better than you ever thought possible, but quality rice it'll knock out of the park. It leaves us all nearly speechless.

Once I got used to cooking rice this way I've never gone back to our electric rice cooker. Not even once.

By the way, if you shop for one be sure of the size you're getting. Some are tiny, single serving. Mine is the 5 "gou" or "go", which is a Japanese cup. About right for four or five people and/or leftovers.

I have a Japanese Donabe I use for all kinds of things though I've never attempted rice in it . How about a photo of your pot? Is it one of the double lid types?

Last edited:
View attachment 1273068View attachment 1273069View attachment 1273070

I'm familiar with Donabe for hotpot and soup, etc. This is a little different. Just a single lid, and it works great. Handmade coil pottery. I think it was $80 on AMZN.

You could try it in your Donabe per the recipe above. It'll also work in a Dutch oven on the stove, especially an enameled one (although traditional Korean rice cookers are often bare cast iron).

I highly recommend getting a clay rice cooker, if for no other reason than to be able to use your donabe and cook rice for the same meal.

By the way, the rice recipe I wrote above is the result of much research and Google translate- it's pretty much the average of how rice is or was traditionally cooked in Japan. It works with corner store rice, and make it better than you ever thought possible, but quality rice it'll knock out of the park. It leaves us all nearly speechless.

Once I got used to cooking rice this way I've never gone back to our electric rice cooker. Not even once.

By the way, if you shop for one be sure of the size you're getting. Some are tiny, single serving. Mine is the 5 "gou" or "go", which is a Japanese cup. About right for four or five people and/or leftovers.
Brilliant, thanks.

Brilliant, thanks.

No problem!

Any clay vessel has to be used on a gas flame, never an electric stove.

And you really really have to be careful to use very low heat in the beginning to warm it up slowly and gently and gradually. I can't stress this enough. Low flame for a little while, gradually increasing. Patience!

I actually think the gradual warming of the rice and water is a big part of the flavor.

And something about the clay, as it sits there steaming, gives off radiant heat the way only clay does, and it really makes a difference.

When we got ours I seasoned it according to what I read on the internet with Google translate. I put in a cup of rice and a few cups of water and boiled it for 20 mins. They say this seals the pores.

Also, the first few times we made rice it tasted a bit like the pot. I guess that's the nature of clay. But after three uses it went away and was just divine rice. But the first few pots may be a throwaway so maybe just use cheap rice.

My wife makes just plain rice, nothing in there except sometimes good Mirin. Honestly, this is the best way. Pure, straight rice.

Remember, médium low at the most. I sit there and watch it. After the very first strong puff of steam escapes I let it continue for 3 mins then I turn off the heat and walk away. Wait at least 20 mins to open it and fluff it. I've waited longer and it's all fine.

Trust me regarding the rice to water ratio. Just a little more water than rice but not much. The inside of the cooker has lines in it. One line for rice, the next for the water level.

One key is to really wash the rice. Mash it together a little, gently. And squeeze it in your hand. In the water. Gently enough to not break the grains. This knocks off the starch added for shipping and preservation. It unlocks the real rice underneath.

Once clean and de-starched let it soak for 20 minutes in summer, one hour in winter.

Then cook! Then get ready for the best rice in the world!

Our local Asian market has a big bag of organic Jasmine grown in Thailand for $30 or so. It's quite good. Very light!

Keep us posted regarding how it goes. Good luck! And enjoy!!!

No problem!

Any clay vessel has to be used on a gas flame, never an electric stove.

And you really really have to be careful to use very low heat in the beginning to warm it up slowly and gently and gradually. I can't stress this enough. Low flame for a little while, gradually increasing. Patience!

I actually think the gradual warming of the rice and water is a big part of the flavor.

And something about the clay, as it sits there steaming, gives off radiant heat the way only clay does, and it really makes a difference.

When we got ours I seasoned it according to what I read on the internet with Google translate. I put in a cup of rice and a few cups of water and boiled it for 20 mins. They say this seals the pores.

Also, the first few times we made rice it tasted a bit like the pot. I guess that's the nature of clay. But after three uses it went away and was just divine rice. But the first few pots may be a throwaway so maybe just use cheap rice.

My wife makes just plain rice, nothing in there except sometimes good Mirin. Honestly, this is the best way. Pure, straight rice.

Remember, médium low at the most. I sit there and watch it. After the very first strong puff of steam escapes I let it continue for 3 mins then I turn off the heat and walk away. Wait at least 20 mins to open it and fluff it. I've waited longer and it's all fine.

Trust me regarding the rice to water ratio. Just a little more water than rice but not much. The inside of the cooker has lines in it. One line for rice, the next for the water level.

One key is to really wash the rice. Mash it together a little, gently. And squeeze it in your hand. In the water. Gently enough to not break the grains. This knocks off the starch added for shipping and preservation. It unlocks the real rice underneath.

Once clean and de-starched let it soak for 20 minutes in summer, one hour in winter.

Then cook! Then get ready for the best rice in the world!

Our local Asian market has a big bag of organic Jasmine grown in Thailand for $30 or so. It's quite good. Very light!

Keep us posted regarding how it goes. Good luck! And enjoy!!!
Yeah I should do this, it will certainly look nice sitting on the counter (my current Donabe isn't really the best for rice). I won't be trading in the Instant Pot however.

proxy.php

Indonesian wife so rice is a given - she likes all kinds including brown (yuk) and black (double yuk). The usual choice is Thai jasmine, Royal Umbrella generally. We do have a stash of basmati for curry time. Always cooked in the rice cooker which apparently has AI. Who knew?

Left over rice becomes fried rice for brunch at weekends. Special occasion rice - chicken stock, pandan leaf, lime leaves and white pepper to get nasi kuning, that sounds more exotic than yellow rice which is the translation.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
We eat rice, for sure. Long, short, medium; red, black, white, tan; jasmine, basmati, forbidden, sushi, gobindabhog...

I'm not sure there's a rice we wouldn't have tried a few times. Well, there must be! We keep looking. We are voracious consumers of cookbooks for various national cuisines.

If you haven't read it, a very good and slightly vintage read is "Seductions of Rice" by Naomi Duguid and Jeffery Alford. It's one of their earlier efforts but no less charming for all that.

O.H.

I like all kinds of rice. Most often it's long grain white in gumbos or red beans and rice or brown rice which I LOVE.

Top Bottom