What's new

Rhyme or reason to 1911 mags

1911's can be finicky as all get out.

When I had my Kimber, it would stovepipe round #7 about 80% of the time shooting at the range. Didn't matter the type of ammo, nor the type of magazine. Tried changing springs, ensuring it was well lubed, etc. Nothing helped. Someone even accused me of shooting limp wristed until they went to the range and had it happen to them as well.

Sold the Kimber and now have a Remington R1. Doesn't matter the type of ammo, nor the mags, she'll send every round down range without issue. Even when she's hot and starting to get dirty and dry, she simply wants to please me...

Mags I've used:
KimPro
Wilson Combat
Mec-Gar
Remington factory
Tripp

I currently have Remington Factory, Tripp and Wilson mags. I do have Tripp mag upgrade kits for the Remington mags, just need to take the time to do the work. The Remington and Wilson mags are for range, and Tripp are the only ones I have while carrying.

Part of me thinks that the tolerances were so tight on the Kimber, that as she warmed up, they got even tighter causing issues. I did attempt to put some lapping compound on, and lightly work it. But, still no change. Loved the looks, when she shot she was a tack driver. But, given the stove pipe issues, useless to me.

Top Bottom