What's new

RFB

@GlazedBoker With a Gillette Black blade, I found it incredibly comfortable, plenty efficient & plenty gentle. My upper lip has been completely smooth and irritation free all weekend—I’m seldom 100% on the ATG pass on that spot!
I also have found that the Gillette blacks (7 O'Clock Super Platinum) are great in my #77/88 RFB. I use either that or a Super Max Blue Diamond. Both are superb.

I have been able to find a couple of RFB's over in Europe in the past years. What type of RFB are you looking for? Maybe I can assist in finding you another one.

A17B9E83-1E33-4FC2-BFC0-54619E43D778.jpeg

This is mine pre-broken tooth

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I think after reading these recent posts, I’ll break out an RFB tomorrow. It has been a while. I’ve gotten a lot of great handles since the last time I used one of my #44’s. But I still think the two piece RFB’s shave just a wee bit better than the 3 piece. Decisions, decisions. Well, out of the dozen or so RFB’s and Flat Bottoms in my collection, these two seem to be the ones I alway grab. Thinking about great handles, I just stopped typing for a minute and changed the loose #44 to Charocal Goods Copper Bishop. Yummy. I believe I will have to slot them both in for a guest appearance in the rotation now. Which one would you use first?

C1314895-C5D2-4BC1-9EC9-112F8C44A507.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I think after reading these recent posts, I’ll break out an RFB tomorrow. It has been a while. I’ve gotten a lot of great handles since the last time I used one of my #44’s. But I still think the two piece RFB’s shave just a wee bit better than the 3 piece. Decisions, decisions. Well, out of the dozen or so RFB’s and Flat Bottoms in my collection, these two seem to be the ones I alway grab. Thinking about great handles, I just stopped typing for a minute and changed the loose #44 to Charocal Goods Copper Bishop. Yummy. I believe I will have to slot them both in for a guest appearance in the rotation now. Which one would you use first?

View attachment 1220295

I'd go for the one with the CG Bishop handle. 😍

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

View attachment 1220295
I’m a bit ‘trad’ — the left!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I had to give the Bishop Handled RFB another shot. My first shave was very rushed and i wanted to slow down and enjoy it. Very nice results. Switched from a Polsilver to an Astra SP and it was a much smoother ride. Next up is the #77 two piece in the background.

B3E436F5-4D08-4B0F-89BC-42021A497CD6.jpeg

I didn't realize I had an RFB, but there it was, a ball end-ish one likely from a #44 set. I bought it on a whim on 'bay years ago. It had the two end teeth, on the same side, very slightly bent. The threads on cap are worn so there is some play until you tighten the handle down all the way. The plating is about 95% and the handle is in pretty bad shape. I put this one away at the back of the den and forgot all about it.

Anyway, this thread motivated me to dust it off and give it a try. I bought a Maggard MR11 handle, put it on and took it for a spin today. It is a nice shaver. Very smooth but definitely up a notch from my usual tech. 3 passes and BBS. The razor is so smooth it did very well with a 2-week old blade and Williams as the soap. A little bite here and there if the angle was too steep or there was no residual slickness from the soap, but no nicks. Low irritation as well.

The bent teeth appear to be cosmetic. They are each rotated in and down about 1/2 mm but the angle is such that it effects the parts that protrude out away from the corners of the blade, but not the corners themselves.

Regardless, this old boy has seen a thing or two and is still able to give a very good shave. If it gives a BBS on a worn blade with a bare minimum soap like williams without a blood bath, what more do you need?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I didn't realize I had an RFB, but there it was, a ball end-ish one likely from a #44 set. I bought it on a whim on 'bay years ago. It had the two end teeth, on the same side, very slightly bent. The threads on cap are worn so there is some play until you tighten the handle down all the way. The plating is about 95% and the handle is in pretty bad shape. I put this one away at the back of the den and forgot all about it.

Anyway, this thread motivated me to dust it off and give it a try. I bought a Maggard MR11 handle, put it on and took it for a spin today. It is a nice shaver. Very smooth but definitely up a notch from my usual tech. 3 passes and BBS. The razor is so smooth it did very well with a 2-week old blade and Williams as the soap. A little bite here and there if the angle was too steep or there was no residual slickness from the soap, but no nicks. Low irritation as well.

The bent teeth appear to be cosmetic. They are each rotated in and down about 1/2 mm but the angle is such that it effects the parts that protrude out away from the corners of the blade, but not the corners themselves.

Regardless, this old boy has seen a thing or two and is still able to give a very good shave. If it gives a BBS on a worn blade with a bare minimum soap like williams without a blood bath, what more do you need?
‘What more do you need?’ — pictures, my friend. Pictures!

I want to have one Gillette in my collection and I’m thinking of the RFB. What plate on the Karve is it the closest to? And how efficient is it?

I don’t even know where to find one in great condition.If anyone can point me in the right direction I would highly appreciate it.

thank you

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I want to have one Gillette in my collection and I’m thinking of the RFB. What plate on the Karve is it the closest to? And how efficient is it?

I don’t even know where to find one in great condition.If anyone can point me in the right direction I would highly appreciate it.

thank you
The hunt is sometimes just as satisfying as the shave. Happy hunting!

Top Bottom