What's new

RFB Fang Tab against Goodwill “Angel Razor”

Brit RFB FT #1.jpeg Brit RFB FT #5.jpeg Brit Goodwill #3.jpeg Brit Goodwill #8.jpeg

So we have two contenders, the English RFB Fang Tab #44 & an English Goodwill considered by many as the “Angel Razor”.

Thus far in my new life as a vintage DE user, the RFB is by far my favorite razor. So smooth It feels like there is no blade in it, seriously! Then I try the Goodwill, and right away I notice my technique must be off because I’m not getting feedback like I should. Also it’s not mowing down the stubble like it should I mean c’mon this thing is called the “angel razor” so it should perform like mind blowing stuff, right!?!? Next time I shave I remind myself of technique & angle of attack, this shave is improved from last time but not great.

I shaved with the goodwill for 10 consecutive shaves, yesterday was by far the best shave of the “series” but I really had to work at it and pay attention. I gotta say deep down in my gut..... does it effortlessly shave with a whimsical note of happiness that the RFB does? I can say at this time, there is no comparison, at least on my ugly face. The RFB heavily out weighs the Goodwill, for me, on my face.

But hey am I going to sell my British Goodwill because of this? Heck No, if i’ve Learned anything from all of your posts it’s that things change over time. So I will put this not so common razor in the box and stash it away as my first razor thats not so great right now but is worth saving to hope it is successful later in life:>) And then I might add once I shave with the other 8 razors who are patiently waiting in line for me to use them, this goodwill might be one of my top contenders? Only time will tell!

I guess I need a RFB #77/88 to add to my collection. They are the same razor just different container, right??? Then correct if I am wrong, but I might want to compare American raised flat bottoms as well as German raised flat bottoms!!!

This is when I miss Jeff_H. He was the first to coin the British Goodwill as his "Angel". There is a thread on here where he compares the RFB and Goodwill. I have both and agree with you that the RBF was better.

Then correct if I am wrong, but I might want to compare American raised flat bottoms as well as German raised flat bottoms!!!

Hold the phone....
proxy.php

There is an American RFB????!!!!????

It Does Exist. It Wasn't A Fluke. I Can't Believe I Found Another.

Another English Empire Goodwill set.

Some of you may have read that my wife knocked my beloved English Goodwill off it's stand and bent the center tooth on one side. I was sick and devastated. No razor I had tried shaved like this razor. No mater what blade I used, I could not feel the blade on my face. It cut so smoothly with no razor burn, no irritation and no nicks or cuts unless I was careless or pushing to hard for a BBS in my trouble areas. Just a joy to shave with. The bent tooth didn't effect the shave any, but I was constantly focused on the bent tooth and worried that one accidental drop would break the tooth off. I had to find a replacement.

I had already been casually looking for a spare and had found just one. I bought it, sent it straight to Dave at Restored Razor's and patiently waited. Dave did a marvelous job, but the shave from this razor was not like my favorite. Good, but not great. Beautiful razor, but strike one.

I was lucky enough for my friend in England to find two more. I bought them both. One a regular Goodwill and one made for the French market, which I had long wanted. The razors arrived in perfect shape and I lathered up. One razor used on the right side of my face, another on the left. Such excitement and hope. It only took three strokes on each side of my face to know neither of these were the same as my favorite. Still good shavers, but not the same. I was dejected. Strike two and three. Maybe my favorite was just a fluke. A one in a million combination of cap and baseplate that married just right to shave MY face just the way I like. How many more of these sets could I find? It seemed I might never find a replacement.

A month or more later, I received a message from my friend that she had located two more sets, one of which had the patent numbers that matched my favorite. This was something we hadn't found yet. My hopes were up again. Fast forward to yesterday and my package arrived. I broke the sets out and set up for a shave this morning. New Voshkod blade. My favorite two band Wolf Whiskers custom brush. Super lather of Cremo and TOBS Eaton College, my absolute favorite cream. Anticipation was high. 70 year old English head sitting on a UFO handle from Spain, being driven by a guy in San Antonio Texas. Would I be crushed again?

I knew by the second stroke. This was it. This was so so close. Closer than any that came before. I continued my shave and was continually reinforced by the performance of this head. By the time I had finished my shave I was so confident and so happy that I pushed past DFS and went for perfect BBS. I did get there, but pic the price of a few weepers on my chin... which I would get even with my favorite if I pushed too hard. The final test was my ASB. Would it sting or feel like water on my face. The answer was water, only a faint sting on my chin where I pushed too hard. This was really it. And I still have another one to test drive to see if it performs as well. WOW.

So, I finally have a replacement for the razor I affectionately call "Angel". I can retire her to her case, bent tooth and all, to be saved for special occasions. Now I have one backup and I want one more, for backup backup. But if I never find it, at least I have this one.

I honestly never thought I would find an equal. Pics tomorrow I promise. Too tired tonight. Worked all day then took the wife out for her birthday. I'm full of sushi and ice cream. Her favorites. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. I'm far too wordy I know. It's a flaw I've learned to live with.

All six sets (original front right, new favorite front middle)

View attachment 447163

Original on left, bent tooth and all.

View attachment 447164

Original on Weber Handle, New Favorite on Kaiser handle.

View attachment 447165

My favorite has one unusual feature, you can see the top of the post through the cap. I have not found or seen another with that feature, and I have no idea if that effects the performance in any way.

View attachment 447166

Close up of bent tooth on original.

View attachment 447167

Also it’s not mowing down the stubble like it should I mean c’mon this thing is called the “angel razor” so it should perform like mind blowing stuff, right!?!?
That's not the "angel razor" - that's his rougher, less sophisticated cousin. The angel was "OTHER PATS PENDING" stamped under the baseplate. I have both an angel and a regular English Goodwill like yours and like @Jeff_H, definitely notice a difference in smoothness between the two.

Interesting!...
I knew there were different patents baseplates but didn't know they shaved differendly.
Gotta compare them one day...

That's not the "angel razor" - that's his rougher, less sophisticated cousin. The angel was "OTHER PATS PENDING" stamped under the baseplate. I have both an angel and a regular English Goodwill like yours and like @Jeff_H, definitely notice a difference in smoothness between the two.
Ohhhh OK my misunderstanding on this one guys, I apologize!!

Ok this is how rumors get started, from numbskulls like me..... I THOUGHT there was an American RFB, am I wrong? So just England & Germany?

Man am I messing things up today or what? I’ll just stick to reading posts.

Ohhhh OK my misunderstanding on this one guys, I apologize!!

Ok this is how rumors get started, from numbskulls like me..... I THOUGHT there was an American RFB, am I wrong? So just England & Germany?
No apologies expected or required.

The NEW with the Raised Flat Bottom (RFB) is an English Gillette. There is a German Rothbart RFB, but it shares no lineage with the English version - it isn't even a NEW.

Oh I see it’s a Rotbart not a Gillette, Gotcha! Thanks Rudyt

Last edited:
Top Bottom