What's new

Rex Supply Co Ambassador

I'll weigh in on this topic. I've had my Ambassador for about a month or so and couldn't be more pleased. Fit and finish are flawless, it feels substantial in your hand and is well balanced. I'd read how aggressive it was so my initial setting was 2, then 2.5 and so it went at each blade change up to 3.5 with no issues. I've used Gillette Platinum, KCG and Feather blades, again with no issues. It has become my daily driver which was unexpected as it has dethroned my Rockwell 6S which is, IMHO, one of the finest shaving razors at any price. Absolutely no regrets.

This is going to sound a bit weird .. but I discovered this forum around when our son was born ( April 1st 2020) .. so when the gillette heritage came out i squirreled 2 away as birth year razors as per forums sentimental habits. At the same time, I was getting a bit of anxiety around the imagined eye rolling of a teenager towards the gifting of Walgreens razors in 16 years ( which aren’t really dated ) so when I realized the ambassador does serial numbers ( and reading the reviews), I pinged them they pointed out April is the first month of the P2 quarter and moreover 4664 is the first serial number made for that quarter ( e.g. apr. 1st ) ..so it’s not just a birth quarter razor but a unique birth day razor.

I am actually dying to use it, and may give it a go at some point and resquirrel it away. Somewhat weirdly I am a Gillette P as well due to some magic math of the gillette dating System.

avi

Last edited:
It is.. I purchased my Ambassador from a fellow member who had registered it after purchase. Matt emails me back personally and stated he updated me as the new owner. Great customer service.
Ok because I read the fine print and says "original purchaser" so I hope he'll do that for all and that wasn't just a special thing for you.
Not that I'll need it, but it's nice to have piece of mind of it.

Ok because I read the fine print and says "original purchaser" so I hope he'll do that for all and that wasn't just a special thing for you.
Not that I'll need it, but it's nice to have piece of mind of it.
Agreed,I read the warranty as well. I wasn’t expecting they would do it but figured I would ask.. Pleasant surprise indeed.

I got delivery of my rex today. I'm a long time user of a futur and have been using the fatboy for couple of months now.

I had my first shave with the rex today. I have to say I had my reservations about this razor due to a lot of reviews indicating it had too much blade feel etc, which I usually don't like. But I can say it was an absolutely amazing shave. It did have blade feel but for me this is the only razor that has been able to have that blade feel while feeling extremely smooth at the same time.

Love the rex it may just be my grail razor but time will tell.

I was told by a vendor that they have made a few minor design changes to the razor. One being something about the adjustment mechanism.
I was asking about what serial and date codes he had and right away he said the newest after "revisions".
But he did also say it was minor and if you have the old one it's fine. And if anything does happen rex co. Will fix/replace it.

This is going to sound a bit weird .. but I discovered this forum around when our son was born ( April 1st 2020) .. so when the gillette heritage came out i squirreled 2 away as birth year razors as per forums sentimental habits. At the same time, I was getting a bit of anxiety around the imagined eye rolling of a teenager towards the gifting of Walgreens razors in 16 years ( which aren’t really dated ) so when I realized the ambassador does serial numbers ( and reading the reviews), I pinged them they pointed out April is the first month of the P2 quarter and moreover 4664 is the first serial number made for that quarter ( e.g. apr. 1st ) ..so it’s not just a birth quarter razor but a unique birth day razor.

I am actually dying to use it, and may give it a go at some point and resquirrel it away. Somewhat weirdly I am a Gillette P as well due to some magic math of the gillette dating System.

avi

Great presents! (Even if a teenager may not appreciate them at the time, he will later!) :thumbup: :thumbup:

Well I contacted maggard and heard from Brad himself
He told me all the ones he had were 2020.
But the site says 2019 in stock so who knows.
Hoping it's the latest
I just saw on the rex site that the newest ones are coming in a brushed finish but I'm sure mine isn't that new.
Wonder why they changed the finish?

Mines on the way!!!
Maybe I should have bought it straight from Rex supply?

I've got buyers remorse which came with it's high cost. I prebooked one (N2) series at a discount on another shave forum. When I finally arrived, there was significant uneven blade exposure. One side was mild and the other was aggressive.

Darn my luck that I had to get this lemon in the entire series.

I contacted the company and sent it back. They took a pretty long time waiting for spares and finally mine was sent its way to me after repair.

Apparently they would have done some but the uneven blade feel stayed. It was lesser than before but it was noticable.

I still have the razor as I didn't feel like posting it to BST knowing of the issue.

I didn't contact the company again as I had shifted back to India and the logistic of sending it back and then receiving it again would cost me a bomb.

I find others happy with their copy. Meanwhile just today morning I prebooked a Pearl brass adjustable razor for 1/3 the cost of the Ambassador. It looks very similar to the Rex Ambassador and they claim its 100% brass and CNC milled. I can take my chances with a 75$ razor.

Looks like great copy of the Rex just as beautiful. Please post a review of the razor when you get your hands on it.

Well she came in today and I had my first shave but didn't make a very good decision.
I grabbed a red IP that already had like 7 or more shaves on it haha.
Was a rough feeling shave, hopefully from the blade.
Also just wetted my face with a warm water soak instead of showering first.
But did a quick 1.5 pass and it's a close shave for amount of passes. No irritation.
I'll update more as I use it more.

Anyone have recommendation on after shave care of the razor. I know it's 316l but still can rust. I usually dip my heads in alcohol after rinsing well and blowing the excess water off.
Definitely a different angle than I'm used to.

Edit mine is O3 (2019) which I was worried about but have been assured no other design changes have been made since early 2019 so it's identical to one made yesterday

I've got buyers remorse which came with it's high cost. I prebooked one (N2) series at a discount on another shave forum. When I finally arrived, there was significant uneven blade exposure. One side was mild and the other was aggressive.

Darn my luck that I had to get this lemon in the entire series.

I contacted the company and sent it back. They took a pretty long time waiting for spares and finally mine was sent its way to me after repair.

Apparently they would have done some but the uneven blade feel stayed. It was lesser than before but it was noticable.

I still have the razor as I didn't feel like posting it to BST knowing of the issue.

I didn't contact the company again as I had shifted back to India and the logistic of sending it back and then receiving it again would cost me a bomb.

I find others happy with their copy. Meanwhile just today morning I prebooked a Pearl brass adjustable razor for 1/3 the cost of the Ambassador. It looks very similar to the Rex Ambassador and they claim its 100% brass and CNC milled. I can take my chances with a 75$ razor.

Just checked that Pearl out. This was the first I had heard of it. I was surprised by the 130 gram weight being all brass. It looks very nice. I really wanted to see the blade posts but they kept it closed up on the pictures. I really like the handle knurling and the adjustment dial. The dial has a 195 look to it which I always loved.

Much better shave today with the ambassador!!!
Used a personna lab on second shave on the blade and it was awesome!!!

So far so good!!! Once I got the angle down its been delivering great shaves every time I've used it.
Not using every time because I'm in the middle of retrying all my blades with different razors
2015 I settled on GSB until a couple weeks ago when I returned here after getting but again by the bug.
But finding other blades I didn't agree with are doing way better than I remembered.

Top Bottom