What's new

Rex Envoy - what a razor

Let me start by saying that I tend towards milder razors. For most of my 6 year DE career I used an EJ DE89, and I still love that razor. I have a small assortment I've collected over the years, a birth quarter Super Speed, long and short comb NEWs, and even an Old Type. I also have a Merkur 34c and I really like my 39c slant. But I never really use the NEWs or the Old. I was just uncomfortable with the level of exposure. Well, after several years away, I returned to B&B, and was intrigued by all the new offerings, so I have bitten the bullet and ordered a brass Karve, a RR Game Changer .68 and a Rex Supply Envoy. The GC and the Envoy arrived today. Who knows when the Karve will get here - from what I gather, it'll be a while.
Well, a coin flip decided it, and tonight I loaded a GSB into the Envoy. I was immediately struck by the amount of blade feel. No tugging from the blade, but it was clear that there was a blade in this razor. I can load a Feather into my AS-D2 and have to search for the blade. Not so with the Envoy. So I treated it with great respect. No pressure! I was impressed with the comfortable grip, and I really like the heft. I did a four-pass shave with Cella. WTG, XTG(2), ATG. All very delicately. It was a comfortable performer.
I got a real BBS with this razor, and am very happy with my purchase. Tomorrow, I'll give the Game Changer a try, but I'm going to use the Envoy as a part of my participation in the March Madness Fixed Four lineup. All on all, I am very happy with the Envoy, I just have to get more at ease with the amount of blade exposure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Good man!! Congrats on the great new razors!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Please post a comparative review once you get accustomed to all the new hardware!!

i have an envoy and it is in my rotation.for the price it cant be beat.and as lewisw says it is about the grippiest razor i have ever used.to me it is very smooth and efficient.john

Congrats on the Envoy and GC! I haven't tried either of those but I did just try my brass Karve with SB C plate. I think you're really going to like the Karve once you receive it. I love mine after just one shave.

I've been using the Envoy for almost 2 weeks now.
Having a hard time with it, I find it too aggressive; it bites or just overall uncomfortable at times.
Used Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Yellow, Polsilver, and Merkur.
For now Merkur has been the best fit since it's the dullest blade, but still....... don't know if I'll stick with it or not in the long run.

Is it just me??

Having a hard time with it, I find it too aggressive; it bites or just overall uncomfortable at times.
For now Merkur has been the best fit since it's the dullest blade, but still....... don't know if I'll stick with it or not in the long run.

Is it just me??

That's weird to me. I love the Envoy. Mine is perfectly machined, tolerances are great, no issues whatsoever. Sorry it's not working out for you man.

I found the Envoy pretty aggressive on my first use. I found that this razor had a bigger learning curve than my others but that with slight angle adjustment I was able to get perfectly comfortable and BBS shaves from it.

No complaints on quality and tolerances.

Hmm...was wondering if something was slightly off and one side had great exposure or something. Strange. This is a middle of the road razor for me as far as aggression goes, maybe it’s just on the higher end of aggression for you.

Sell that bad boy and get a new razor!

Is it just me??
I’m sorry it’s not working for you. Unfortunately not every razor is for everyone. If it doesn’t work for you, you can always put it on the buy sell trade section. If you still want to invest in a Rex the Ambassador being an adjustable might be better.

Waiting on some new old stock Polsilver blades made at the Polish factory before being transferred to the P&G Russian plant.
Everyone raves about these, they’ll either make it or break it for the Envoy.

I’ve never tried a Rex Envoy, but my Rex Ambassador is my favorite razor (Envoy is about 3 on Ambassador). For me, the Envoy would be too aggressive and efficient to be a keeper. I use my Ambassador on 2.25 typically. By comparison, I also enjoy my Timeless Ti 0.95 OC and can easily shave daily with it. It’s one of their most aggressive/efficient razors. My advice would be to save up for the Ambassador.

Is it just me??
Check if the contact surface of the top cap is straight. It is a flexible head design which relies on the top cap for support. I had to get a replacement cap for my rex. The replacement cap was better, but not great. I had to level out the high spots. This helped.
20210523_123612.jpg
20210523_130139.jpg

I just picked up a lightly used Envoy in the BST.

Took it for a spin this evening and really enjoyed the shave!

One question I do have… is it normal for the head to be a little loose/wobbly when tighten down without a blade loaded?

Once I load it with a blade, everything is solid and blade alignment is perfect… just surprised me that I wasn’t able to get a tight close without a blade.

thanks

Top Bottom