What's new

Rex b75

My step mother in law gave me this brush years ago when I started wet shaving. I put it in a drawer and forgot about it because it has blue ink or paint spilled on it. Should I try cleaning the blue off with something? If so what?
Or just re-knot it. Or is it not worth the
re-knot?

20190111_162642~2.jpg
20190111_162823~2.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was a nurse. I was ALWAYS scribbling notes on my hand, arm, etc. It erased with alcohol swaps. Could you soak it in alcohol and then use some nice balsam or other hair conditioner?

I was a nurse. I was ALWAYS scribbling notes on my hand, arm, etc. It erased with alcohol swaps. Could you soak it in alcohol and then use some nice balsam or other hair conditioner?

Worth a try. It's not like I'm that worried about it.

If you like a handle, it is worth a re-knot.

I'm very practical about a lot of things. I would try it as is, and if I like the knot, would use it as long as the blue wasn't contagious :) I would also try it for a while to see if the knot broke in more.

When I first looked at it, kept trying to find the spot of blue on the handle before I realized it was actually in the knot.

I'm very practical about a lot of things. I would try it as is, and if I like the knot, would use it as long as the blue wasn't contagious :) I would also try it for a while to see if the knot broke in more.

When I first looked at it, kept trying to find the spot of blue on the handle before I realized it was actually in the knot.

Sorry I should have stated the blue was in the bristles.

Good suggestion. The rubbing alcohol turned blue quite quickly, with a bit of swirling it was bold blue. Refreshed the rubbing alcohol and got quite a bit more out but there is still alot left in there. Maybe I will try lathering with something that usually makes a good white lather and see if it turns blue. If it doesn't bleed into lather it's probably fine to try for a shave or two.
I wonder if it's just Barbicide concentrate that spilled and dried on.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Very nice brush, I would just give it a clean and then use it and see what happens. I don’t think that the blue ink would cause any drama.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I would say not to give up on these old knots. I had one that didn't look like much but was wonderful to use.

I'm soaking it in alcohol till tomorrow morning then I'll wash it and give it a try. The blue keeps coming out when in alcohol but when I put soap on it and made a lather it barely tinted blue.

FarmerTan

I'm soaking it in alcohol till tomorrow morning then I'll wash it and give it a try. The blue keeps coming out when in alcohol but when I put soap on it and made a lather it barely tinted blue.
You know, I was a hairdresser before I became an RN, and back when I started in beauty skool the little old ladies that always game me a nickel or dime tip for a shampoo and set used a blue tinted rinse to cover up the stain caused by their cigarette smoke. Oh, the memories....

If your face is yellow tinged, forget the doctor, just lather up with that brush!

You know, I was a hairdresser before I became an RN, and back when I started in beauty skool the little old ladies that always game me a nickel or dime tip for a shampoo and set used a blue tinted rinse to cover up the stain caused by their cigarette smoke. Oh, the memories....

If your face is yellow tinged, forget the doctor, just lather up with that brush!

That's funny because the I've heard the town barber used to also be the town doctor. I'm not sure how true that is though.

That's funny because the I've heard the town barber used to also be the town doctor. I'm not sure how true that is though.
The red/white pole symbolizes new/used bandages. They are talking from before anesthetics and disinfectants though. Not sure of exact time period.

FarmerTan

Tonsorialist. That's what old time barbers called themselves. Google what the devices for removing swollen tonsils looked like. It's amazing how resilient humans are.

That looks gruesome. I've seen those in museums. And when I took the kids to the antique shops the other day there were a bunch of surgical tools at the one pretty amazing stuff. Some of it I really don't want to know what they used it for.

I used this brush this morning. The blue is still there but didn't seem to bleed out into the lather. The bristle felt nice but didn't lather up very nice and sheds a bit. I do want to try out a good boar hair brush now so next time I order knots to make brushes I will get some. I didn't really like the handle though so I think this one will need to find a new home. I did think about trying to reshape the handle and re knot it for kicks though.

I used this brush this morning. The blue is still there but didn't seem to bleed out into the lather. The bristle felt nice but didn't lather up very nice and sheds a bit. I do want to try out a good boar hair brush now so next time I order knots to make brushes I will get some. I didn't really like the handle though so I think this one will need to find a new home. I did think about trying to reshape the handle and re knot it for kicks though.
LOL, yeah, I didn't like it either, but

I've never had an old boar develop into a good brush with use. One was comfortable at go, but all were what they started as. Might find a collector, or someone that likes the handle.

...I do want to try out a good boar hair brush now so next time I order knots to make brushes I will get some.

Just a suggestion, TGN has very nice boar knots that feel surprisingly good on the skin. I haven’t tried their banded boars but the regular blonde ones are great. I’m in no way affiliated with them, just passing on a recommendation as a happy customer.

Just a suggestion, TGN has very nice boar knots that feel surprisingly good on the skin. I haven’t tried their banded boars but the regular blonde ones are great. I’m in no way affiliated with them, just passing on a recommendation as a happy customer.

I actually ran a PIF in another thread when I decided the handle just dosn't do it for me so it will be headed to a new home tomorrow or Monday.
I will definitely try a boar soon and will probably get from TGN. I will probably get some badger from Maggards though. I want to try there's and I found out I have actually met the owner years ago. Plus I'm from Mi. And have family on the east side of the state so I could stop in and get them there.

Top Bottom