What's new

Rex Ambassador vs Rocnel Sailor (2021 edition)

I disagree. OP titled his post 2021. Only time he mentioned the 20 was in reference to blades. The title specified the comparison re: Rex vs 2021 Sailor and is how I chose to address his questions. I understand how you read it the way you did tho.

The other information I provided in the body of my response to you was primarily to address OPs original questions because i felt like you and I were debating semantics. I at least wanted to address all of OPs questions.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I actually
I am pretty sure the next Sailor will be Titanium. That one might check all of your boxes.

Firstly, you're right. I was referring to the 2021 model. I probably should have worded my post better.

I spoke to Murat, and he said that only a few razors will be made of titanium. Most of 2022's models will be stainless steel. I was going to buy the 2021 model, but it's a pretty small razor (82mm) so I think I'll wait for the 2022 stainless steel version

I disagree. OP titled his post 2021. Only time he mentioned the 20 was in reference to blades. The title specified the comparison re: Rex vs 2021 Sailor and is how I chose to address his questions. I understand how you read it the way you did tho.

The other information I provided in the body of my response to you was primarily to address OPs original questions because i felt like you and I were debating semantics. I at least wanted to address all of OPs questions.

I can only claim dyslexia :blink:. Answered my question about blades as well - thanks!

When you're rockin' with Rocnel you are rockin' with the best.

The only thing that can absolutely supercede and decimate the current line-up of Rocnel Sailors would be a Rocnel Sailor S in Titanium. These razors are really in a class of It's own.

When the Rex was released everyone seemed appalled at the prospect of paying $250 for a razor. Now it looks like a bargain. The Rex is well built, shaves well, and I like the design and ergonomics. I think it looks good and it always gives me a great shave.

The Ti Taiga doubles the price of the Rex but it is Ti and is polished beautifully. The dial can be circumnavigated 2 or 3 times so it comes with all the headroom anyone could want.

The Sailor is a beauty. I love the esthetics and, based on only 2 shaves, I can say that I really like it. It is twice the price of the Rex though.

I have no idea how the Taiga shaves because, I'm embarrassed to say, I haven't tried it yet. It arrived last week and I just haven't gotten around to using it.

At some point I'll compare all three razors but it will be a while. I've got to many damned razors. It may be time for an intervention.
I’m a big adjustable fan so I’m quite jealous of your collection. Bravo!

Thanks for the Taiga correction. I'm thinking of the Gibbs look alike with the different base plates. Which one is that? Coulda sworn it was a Taiga...but, as you can tell, it didn't leave me with a good feeling about it. Ha.

I think the original version had the limited adjustability. The newer ones keep going up.

It's $690 now on their site (the 2020). For a stainless steel razor, adjustable or not. Value is in the eye of the beholder, but this is more than a premium price for any razor.

It's up to the buyer to decide if and how much he is willing to pay, there is plenty in all categories of razors to choose from. I've long forgotten the price of the Rocnel since it gives me such fantastic shaves. And compared to Iwasaki straight razors they are a bargain :001_rolle

Understatement of the year!! Train wreck actually sounds better than what transpired on that razor...:a7:
Train wreck after last minute revisions most definitely. The Janus Prototype on the other hand is a stellar performer and the most comfortable and efficient razor I own. Unfortunately no more of the prototype design will be made, a shame imo. If V2 ever happens I'm in line for one.
IMG_1990.jpeg
Back on topic: Will be looking for one of the titanium Sailors if I can wrangle it.

Back on topic: Will be looking for one of the titanium Sailors if I can wrangle it.
Well rats. Murat says no Ti razor planned. No worries since I may be getting a 2020 Sailor from a fellow forum member. I like the size and weight of it compared to the 2021. I hope I am not sacrificing comfort/efficiency for style.

I own a rex ambassador, taiga adjustable, Rocnel sailor 2018, 2020 and 2021. I never reach for the ambassador and the only reason I have kept it is to attempt to mirror polish it as I want to see if it improves the shave. The sailors are just stunning pieces of art to me that also shave very nicely indeed. The Taiga is also superb and I love it.

I own a rex ambassador, taiga adjustable, Rocnel sailor 2018, 2020 and 2021. I never reach for the ambassador and the only reason I have kept it is to attempt to mirror polish it as I want to see if it improves the shave. The sailors are just stunning pieces of art to me that also shave very nicely indeed. The Taiga is also superb and I love it.
What are your thoughts between the 2020 and 2021 sailor variants? I've heard the 2021 is less smooth on its higher settings than the 2020 version. What are your thoughts between the two razors, if you could only keep one, which would it be? Also have you seen the new rocnel master series which is being teased on Murat's Instagram page? Will you be picking one up?

What are your thoughts between the 2020 and 2021 sailor variants? I've heard the 2021 is less smooth on its higher settings than the 2020 version. What are your thoughts between the two razors, if you could only keep one, which would it be? Also have you seen the new rocnel master series which is being teased on Murat's Instagram page? Will you be picking one up?

I find the 2021 slightly smoother maybe. Not much in it. I don't ever need to go into high settings. I couldn't just keep one lol. Just seen the master series. Looks similar to my 2020 with gold dial.

Rocnel Evolution.jpg

I actually have the Rex and have used it for a few years, and it's a great razor (as far as aggressive, it's well, adjustable), and the "industrial" quality actually appeals to me. In the market for a new adjustable and the Rocnel is on the list, along with the others (Janus excepted) mentioned; already pre-ordered the Muramasa. Probably not the $700 version Rocnel, although affordable for me, because I actually like the 2021 esthetics better, and it's certainly more in line with a justifiable cost for quality. And still holding out for that next level Ti adjustable.... :thumbup:
I'll stick with my Rex! The Rocnel might be more eye appealing, but my guess is the shave will not be a better BBS. Maybe more comfortable, but the Rex does not irritate during or after the shave, and I use it daily now. I actually enjoy the very slight drag, as it results in stretching the skin just ahead of the blade, which in turn gives a closer shave action. I'll keep the extra cash in my pocket, for better soaps, and blades in the future.

Well then idea of plunking down over $300.00 for a Razor is like buy a S.T. Dupont Maxi Jet Torch Lighter verses say a Jetling Jetmaster. Both are single torches, both can light a cigar equally well, the difference is about $250.00+.

Maybe I am wrong but when I use my 60 year old Gillette Slim with good quality blade, I get good quality shave, and my Slim is from B n B Member under $50.00.

Top Bottom