What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

SHAVE REPORT #2

Two day growth. Everything the same except for the soap. I had to go back to my trusty Arko. I had a little reaction to the soap enclosed. I didn't read the ingredients label closely enough and it contains lanolin. I'm allergic to wool and my neck looked like I had been wearing a wool scarf. Of course it faded as the day wore on.

I started with the grain for one pass on a 3 setting. This razor is very efficient and smooth. The second pass I cranked it down to the mildest setting and went ATG. A little problem on my neck, which is usual, but overall very smooth and was surprised at how efficient it was at this low setting. I did some touch-ups with the same setting and rinsed off. I would say I ended up with a DFS with some irritation on my neck.

Tomorrow I will shave again at the lowest setting. This is something I usually can't do and will be the real acid test for this razor for me.

I am still very impressed with this razor.

SHAVE REPORT #2

Two day growth. Everything the same except for the soap. I had to go back to my trusty Arko. I had a little reaction to the soap enclosed. I didn't read the ingredients label closely enough and it contains lanolin. I'm allergic to wool and my neck looked like I had been wearing a wool scarf. Of course it faded as the day wore on.

I started with the grain for one pass on a 3 setting. This razor is very efficient and smooth. The second pass I cranked it down to the mildest setting and went ATG. A little problem on my neck, which is usual, but overall very smooth and was surprised at how efficient it was at this low setting. I did some touch-ups with the same setting and rinsed off. I would say I ended up with a DFS with some irritation on my neck.

Tomorrow I will shave again at the lowest setting. This is something I usually can't do and will be the real acid test for this razor for me.

I am still very impressed with this razor.

Good stuff and a nice, methodical approach to your shaving experience. Well done.... :punk:

Looking forward to JWK1's results; just gave him my info as well. Pretty much have my comparison setup together now. Also sorting out my Parker Variant pass-around ideas.

Unfortunately, my session with the Rex was cut short. After my very first shave last Saturday, I had to go into eye surgery for a detached retina. I had a short, follow-up procedure on Sunday to fix a little spot that needed tending. After trying my best to shave on Monday, I realized that I just can't do it. I'm in pretty rough shape. My wife got the package to the post office this morning. I'm in Boston and Amateriat is in New Jersey, so I think he will have it for the weekend.

I will give what thoughts I can for having only shaved twice with it.

I think there is a lot of depth to this razor. I have a Karve, a Rockwell 6S and three Fatboys. The Rex changes character more than any of these three with setting changes. I tried the Rex at max, "3" and minimum. I took a good look at the razor at the "1" setting, and it reminded me a bit of my Fatip Grande. Pretty healthy blade forward and tiny gap underneath. Really cool, IMO. I could have spent a lot more than a week with this razor to really find what the different settings have to offer.

Would I buy this razor? I don't know. I think I would have an answer for that if I had been able to do the whole week. I will say that it looked very promising. If someone put a gun to my head and told me I could only have one DE razor, this might be it. However, two shaves just don't do much more than wet the appetite.

I'm looking forward to Amateriat's review. Once again, thanks to GlazedBoker for this very generous pass-around. What a great service for our community here at B&B.

Wow, take care of yourself. I've had three detached retinas and those are never fun.
My last one was about 25 years ago and I had to wear the usual eye patch for a month with dilation drops every day. After the doctor told me I could stop taking the dilation drops (finally!), the dilation didn't subside for several weeks. I had to go back to the doctor and have him put some dilation reverse drops in my eye to relax it. My point is, of your pupil doesn't undilate (is that a word) then don't be afraid to ask about it the next day.

Unfortunately, my session with the Rex was cut short. After my very first shave last Saturday, I had to go into eye surgery for a detached retina. I had a short, follow-up procedure on Sunday to fix a little spot that needed tending. After trying my best to shave on Monday, I realized that I just can't do it. I'm in pretty rough shape. My wife got the package to the post office this morning. I'm in Boston and Amateriat is in New Jersey, so I think he will have it for the weekend.

I will give what thoughts I can for having only shaved twice with it.

I think there is a lot of depth to this razor. I have a Karve, a Rockwell 6S and three Fatboys. The Rex changes character more than any of these three with setting changes. I tried the Rex at max, "3" and minimum. I took a good look at the razor at the "1" setting, and it reminded me a bit of my Fatip Grande. Pretty healthy blade forward and tiny gap underneath. Really cool, IMO. I could have spent a lot more than a week with this razor to really find what the different settings have to offer.

Would I buy this razor? I don't know. I think I would have an answer for that if I had been able to do the whole week. I will say that it looked very promising. If someone put a gun to my head and told me I could only have one DE razor, this might be it. However, two shaves just don't do much more than wet the appetite.

I'm looking forward to Amateriat's review. Once again, thanks to GlazedBoker for this very generous pass-around. What a great service for our community here at B&B.

Sorry to hear that my friend. Godspeed and a quick and full recovery. Health is first and foremost. Wet shaving will still be here waiting for you... :thumbup1:

Arrival: Rex Marks the Spot

First, a warm shout-out to JWK1, and fingers crossed for a complete recovery. My sister had a similar incident some years ago, and while hers was a complete recovery, the experience is anything but a cakewalk.

Meanwhile: Today was rather hectic: work is about to be done on the front of our house, wife has her own stuff (artistically and medically speaking) to sort out, and we were just about to take a break and take our cameras to the boardwalk (medium-format film at that: she with her Rolleiflex, me with my inherited Hasselblad), and just as we got in her car the Post Person walked up with two armfuls of stuff for us–mostly for her, but one package for me.

She: "Oh, what's this?"
Me: "Hmm…not sure..."

We head off, take a handful of frames for a half-hour, come back and sort out our respective deliveries. I open my package, then have an "oh, yeah!" moment.

She: "Oh, more shaving stuff?'
Me: "Yeah, but not something I bought…a bunch of guys on this shave site I told you about are doing a pass-around of this razor, which is quite pricey. You'd likely kill me if I actually bought it."

She chuckles at that, but also gives me a look that says: Kill you? Don't be silly. Flay you alive, maybe.

Be that as it may, the mighty Rex arrived intact, with a bunch of other goodies which, while enticing, I'll likely just pass along, and add a few bits of my own when I send the Rex on its way, including a five-blade pack of the Croma Diamants I've been going on about here lately.

The first big shave comes tomorrow morning, but I wanted to give a quick verbal and visual comparison of the Ambassador to Parker's Variant. For starters, I was a bit surprised to see the Rex' handle is not only fatter than the Variant's but a good deal shorter as well; several people have commented on my review of the Variant that they were wishing for a longer-handled version of it, even though I've found the length "just right", together with the weight and balance/heft. In spite of this difference, the Rex feels quite nice in-hand, and the machining of the knurled handle feels quite deep and pronounced: if you manage to get this thing to slide out of your hand, you're more slippery than Houdini.

As someone in this thread commented, the head profile on the Rex is decidedly lower than the Variant's: this isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, and as I would think most of us know by now, it's not what's done so much as how it's done. (NOTE: The Variant in the photos has a blade loaded in it, whereas the Ambassador doesn't.) The Ambassador frankly reeks of precision–from this standpoint you're pretty nearly getting your money's worth in details being sweated. The Variant is damned good in terms of build quality for the money, no doubt, but the Rex sweats just that bit more of detail and polish…they're asking a not-inconsiderable sum for the thing, so they know they have to up the game from simply "pretty darn good."

Tomorrow's shave will likely go as follows: by my lights, I have about two more good shaves from the Croma Diamant loaded in my Variant, so that blade gets transferred to the Rex for the first shave; Classic Shaving's Violet shave soap gets the nod, with initial lathering in a Classic Shaving mug, then lathered up seriously in a 1st-gen Phoenix Artisanal Accoutrements Crown King scuttle (love this thing), using a Yaqi Heavy Metal synthetic brush. Pre-shave prep is a decent shower, using the same conditioner on my beard as for my hair (again, shout to Corey Greenberg for the idea, wherever he is at the moment), post-shave a thorough warm/cold rinse and splash of Humphreys' Citrus Witch Hazel (a warm-weather switchover from Pre de Provence No.63, which I'll start using again well into Auntumn). Second shave will be the same except for loading a fresh Croma in the Rex.

rexandparker01.jpg
rexandparker03.jpg
rexandparker04.jpg
rexandparker05.jpg

Last edited:
6/22/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed) *Note
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (????-????)
2. @Cut Throat (completed) *Note
3. @herbert7890 (completed)
4. @JWK1 (completed)
5. @amateriat (in hand testing)
6. @valthun (on deck)
7. @WarriorMonk (in the hole)
8. @shaversnapper

Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time
9. @BBS-1
10. @MC Shaving
11. @vadim
12. @jldallas
13. @johnwick
14. @Olegausany
15. @ryinzana
16. @pdieten
17. @Zen Shaver
18. @Schinny

*Purchased a Rex.

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

Shave #1: Bang a Gong, Get it On

Shave time, start-to-finish: 15 minutes
Prep/Setup: normal (see previous post)
Gap Setting: 2
Result: DFS/BBS(!)

Well, this one was quick: after loading the used blade from the Variant, a quick eyeballing of the Ambassador led to my setting the gap to 2, which, to extend the baseball metaphor of this thread, led to a line-drive between First and Second:first pass was excellent: somewhat less feedback than the Variant offers, but subjectively much smoother–so much so that I was concerned the setting I chose wasn't as aggressive as the Variant at 1.5. That worry went away during the second pass, which was just about as smooth, and very efficient. Final pass involved a touch of what I call "head-stiction" against the skin, but nothing truly objectionable, while still offering generally smooth strokes; I prefer taking relatively long strokes to a handful of short strokes, especially on the first pass.

The Rex feels really good in the hand, clearly matching the Variant. Balance and heft is great, requiring very little change in technique, which was a big relief, given the aforementioned difference in head profile between these razors. Control was also excellent, the deeply-machined knurling of the handle being even more tactile than the Variant (not that the Parker is at all a slouch in this department). Twirling the Rex to switch edges was rather Samurai-like, even with wet fingers. Finally, two rinses and a splash, plus another ten minutes allowing things to settle, and…whoa.

So, yeah: This is a bit like driving your two-year-old, spec'd-out Miata to a car meet, running into your old pal who made a killing in the market, and he throws you the keys to his Ferrari shooting-brake for a quick run. You know you'll regret it, you just don't know how much before you hit the Start button*. I expected the Rex to be at worst the Variant's equal, and most likely better on one or two counts…at the asking price, anything less would be ridiculous. But the thing is noticeably smoother, bringing even more out of that used Croma blade than I thought was even left. The hype, so far, appears to be real.

Am I set to throw my beloved Variant overboard? Not quite: $250 is a lot for me to swallow. I could cough that amount up at some point in the not-too-distant future, but it's anything but a casual purchase for me. Wife asked me how I liked it, and I couldn't suppress a smile; she ran a hand over my face and nodded approvingly. Doesn't mean she's greenlighting it, but she groks the situation. Besides, I need at least one more shave to draw a reasonably-full bead on this thing (was going for three, but I think a second shave, in two days, will tell the complete tale. Stay tuned.

(* I'm actually riding my Vespa GTS to my local dealer later, who's having a demo-day with Zero's line of electric motorcycles, including their newest sportbike. I'll likely turn down a test-ride, though…I'm not a glutton for that much punishment in one day.) :001_rolle

Last edited:
Just a quick note Gents. There is a promo code for the month. Not much but, it’s a few greenbacks one will save over the full retail of $249+tax. It’s a 15% off code. Just In case someone is teetering on the edge here.... :001_tongu :ihih:

Well, I wouldn't say "teetering" is my current state: "lightly brooding" might be a better fit.

One thing I forgot to mention, but it's sort of a biggie: as anyone here who's tried the Ambassador likely knows, the head conceals the blade's side edges. This is a slightly bigger deal than I expected it to be, as I've occasionally given myself a slight scrape with razors where those ends are exposed, and seems to add to the sense of refinement I'm experiencing with the Rex. This is one helluva rabbit-hole I've slipped down...

Shave #2: Jeepster for your Mug

Shave time, start-to-finish: < 15 minutes
Prep/Setup: normal
Gap Setting: 2.5/3*
Result: DFS/BBS

This shave went slightly faster than last, with a fresh blade loaded and the Rex notched up to 2.5. First pass pretty much the same as the first time; second pass generally good, although a trifle tricky around the chin. (I usually dial my Variant back a half "notch" on the second pass, but decided to keep the initial setting on the Ambassador for all three passes*. Third pass encountered a bit more of the stiction I mentioned on the first shave, leading me to think that the more highly-polished finish on the Rex' cap is the issue for me. Double-rinse and splash, ten-minute rest, and…a near-identical result, with just a wee bit o' stubble on a narrow section of my chin. No nicks/weepers, and the 2.5 setting strikes me as just about as aggressive as I'd likely want unless I skipped shaving for the better part of a week.

One small matter came to the fore this time: With the Variant, when removing the cap to load a blade, you need to be aware of orientation–the cap has a notch on one side, which corresponds to a notch on on side of the razor's head. Replacing the cap the wrong way won't work, whereas the Ambassador's cap is essentially bidirectional: there's no "correct" orientation to be concerned with. The flip side of this, as it were, is that when you replace the cap on the Variant, you need not place pressure on the cap to assure its catching on the razor's screw-down assembly: simply start turning the bottom knob while holding the handle with the fingers of your other hand, and the cap will catch and start moving down. With the Ambassador, you not only need to press down on the cap, but need to make sure it's aligned just-so, otherwise the cap will likely spin off-center as you turn the bottom knob. Obviously, this is something you simply get used to with time, but it was a bit of a surprise to me.

To this end, I think I will give this just one last go on Wednesday before packing it up: I'm curious about how I'd get on with this razor's idiosyncracies on the day-to-day. I'm still enamored with its fit and finish, and how it balances in-hand.

(*Well, it was supposed to stay at 2.5 for all three passes, but by the third pass I'd somehow nudged it to 3 inadvertently. Let's see how things go on the third and last shave.)
rexparkeryaqui06.jpg

some great reviews and nice comparison to the Variant (which in my shower right now). I'm delighted this passaround is still going strong and that people are getting the chance to try this great razor.

Shave #3: The Slider – Finale & Wrap-Up

Shave time, start to finish: 20 minutes
Prep/Setup: normal (replaced Classic Shaving Violet soap for WCS/Dr. Jon's Sakura Musk)
Gap Setting: 2.5
Result: BBS (with some effort)

Well, I'm certainly glad I went with a third (and final) shave with the Rex, since several things have come into sharper relief (ouch, another pun), which leaves me with more, rather than fewer things to ponder. For one thing, it's still a smoother feeling shaver on the first pass than the Variant, and an even match on the second. On that final pass, however, it comes up short–the Variant simply offers an easier glide with less effort, and no second-guessing. And while I did get my true-BBS event this time around, I had to go that extra half-mile to do it…which, frankly, I could do with the Variant. I'm also now a bit less sanguine about the Rex' shorter-but-stubbier handle: I frequently found myself inadvertently nudging the adjustment collar this-way-or-that, mid-shave, breaking my concentration; the Variant, in addition to having a longer handle, has its adjustment dial at the very bottom, and secured by spring friction, assuring that the setting you choose stays put until you're ready to change it. (Gillette, whose classic adjustables had their adjustment collars in the same location as the Ambassador, clearly had a reason for incorporating click-stops.) This same mechanism also makes blade-changes a bit less fussy than on the Ambassador. I still do like the fact that the Rex' head/cap assembly covers the entire width of the blade.

So, there it is. As Mick famously put it, you can't always get what you want…not in a single adjustable razor, anyway. I'll be packing the kit up this afternoon (along with some blades of my own, including the promised pack of Cromas), and sending it off to the next gent on the list. (That's valthun, who for some reason I can't directly PM…can someone lend a hand on this one?)

And, for now, the Variant stays in the picture. (Except for next week, when I'll be in Boston: the Parker A1R gets the nod for that trip.)

rexsakura.jpg

razorbladepacks.jpg

Last edited:
Back To the Variant: It's Still Rock 'n Roll To Me

Shave time, start to finish: 12 minutes
Prep/Setup: normal (once-used blade taken from Rex Ambassador)
Gap Setting: 1.5/1.5/1.0
Result: BBS/DFS

Going back to your regular shave kit after such a comparison is always interesting (and occasionally revelatory), but in this case it was a bit moreso, on account of having precious little time to squeeze a proper shave in. In spite of this, I did my customary three-pass with the Variant set as usual. And, know what? It really is a damned keen shaver. All three passes, however quick, were absolutely drama-free, and handling is wonderful. And that final pass…yes, that clinched it. It just does it that much smoother for me than the Rex, making the gestalt of my routine that much nicer
again, it's not just the what, but the how that makes the difference, and now I see all this with better clarity than before. And the thing is about as adept at gotta-get-it-done express shaves as when I have the luxury if time. I have to give the Boker a high-five for getting this going; we should do this again with another interesting DE. (I'm up for trying a T1.) I'll also have details before long about my Variant pass-around plans. This was definitely fun and educational.

Alright, the package has arrived. I normally go a full week between shaves. But I will make an exception this week and will do my best to do near daily shaves. I think this is the heaviest razor I have ever held.

7/1/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed) *Note
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (????-????)
2. @Cut Throat (completed) *Note
3. @herbert7890 (completed)
4. @JWK1 (completed)
5. @amateriat (completed)
6. @valthun (in hand testing)
7. @WarriorMonk (on deck)
8. @shaversnapper (in the hole)
Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time
9. @BBS-1
10. @MC Shaving
11. @vadim
12. @jldallas
13. @johnwick
14. @Olegausany
15. @ryinzana
16. @pdieten
17. @Zen Shaver
18. @Schinny

*Purchased a Rex.

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

Alright, so I got my first shave in this morning. Like I stated I normally shave once a week, twice if I have a hot date with the wife.

As for the Ambasador, it really is the heaviest razor I have handled. I do like the weight, but it is strange to hold initially. I found a GSB in the packet of blades, so I used that to load up and give a go, since those tend to be my favorite, but I haven't got around to buying more. Lathering up with my Proraso White I took a look at the dial and tried to figure out where I needed to be. As this is my first true adjustable it needed to be just right. So I went with a 5 setting, as this looked to be around the same gap as my Standard Razor. Upon the first stroke I realized that wasn't quite right, so I dialed down to a 3. This was fairly smooth, but trying to find that correct angle while letting the weight do its thing was tricky.

My first shave was not that smooth and I did get a few knicks. Nothing that a swipe of alum couldn't handle. I will be giving it another shave in the morning. Due to the one day shave I am thinking a 1 might be a good gap to have.

Thinking back on this shave and shaves that I have had in the past I keep going back to my Standard Razor as the old reliable. I don't know if it is because it was my first DE and I was able to figure it out, and thus I don't have to think about it, or if my skill is learned to that razor and therefore I have bad form. It is an interesting razor to be certain.

I will keep the GSB as the test blade through this week and keep everyone up to date.

Final thoughts as I wait for @WarriorMonk to contact me with an address. Message has been sent to him today.

While the shave is nice, I have to admit that this is not something I would spend the money on. Overall I got an ok shave. But it took a bit more effort than what I was expecting. While I do like the idea of the adjustable, I don't think that the price is worth it. I may change my mind later if I can find a lower cost adjustable to get the knack for this type of razor.

As for the razor itself, I do like the overall weight and it has a nice feel and there is no fear of it slipping out of my hand. THe handle I think is just a little too short for me. I seem to favor something a little longer as it allows me to find that correct angle a little better.

I found that on a setting of 1 I kept falling off the blade and would have to readjust. I just could keep that sweet spot. But it did work well as the setting for the clean-up.

6 was a great setting for a 4 day old shave. It mowed it down with ease and I only received one little nick on my chin, which has always been a trouble spot for me due to a scar.

I will take pictures of this and my daily shaver once I get the Ambassador cleaned up.

Top Bottom