What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

A weeks worth of growth!? - I'd practically look like I belong on Duck Dynasty if I didn't shave for a week. Ok, so maybe slightly exaggerated, but I grow in pretty darn quick, and would have like 1/2 an inch or more after a week, and I just don't feel 'clean' if I let it start to grow. (I shave maybe 350-355 out of the 360 days in a year).

5/12/19

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed)
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (????-????)
2. @Cut Throat (in hand testing)
3. @herbert7890 (on deck)
4. @JWK1 (in the hole)
5. @amateriat
6. @valthun
7. @WarriorMonk
8. @shaversnapper

Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time
9. @BBS-1
10. @MC Shaving
11. @vadim
12. @jldallas
13. @johnwick
14. @Olegausany
15. @ryinzana

A pm or post here will get you on Gents and Ladies.

Get your shave on people....... :shaving:

I am not part of the pass around since I am in EU, but I have been using the Rex for almost a month now (minus some shaves with other razors for comparison reasons). I hope you do not mind me adding my review here. This is my first review, so I hope I do it justice.

I am relatively new in DE shaving (a bit more than a year). I have normal skin, my hair is probably average in thickness, at least by Mediterranean standards, except for the chin area where it is coarser. My beard is very dense apart from my cheeks, where it is sparser. I am a daily shaver and I tend to favor razors on the mild to mid-aggressive side of the spectrum (34c, GC .68, GC .84, Fatip Gentile and Progress) combined with sharper blades that can take better care of the growth in my chin area. These combinations can provide a very close shave after a 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) with varying need for touch-ups to achieve full BBS, based on razor efficiency and the number of uses of the blade. On a daily basis, I try to achieve the smoothest possible shave that is very close and lasts 10+ hours, while still having enough growth to shave again the next morning.

The Rex is my second adjustable, after the Progress and it quickly surpassed the latter in being my favorite razor. For me, the ability to adjust the aggression of the razor on the fly depending on the pass, specific area of the face, but also face condition is like a revelation. My excellent experience with the Progress led me to purchase the Rex when a local brick and mortar shop imported it from the US, last month.

First things first, the quality of the razor is excellent. Being formally trained in Engineering, I tend to favor such designs. I really appreciate the effort put in designing, manufacturing and, from what I've read, improving the Rex based on feedback (mine is in the O1 serial numbers). The razor is well balanced (not head or handle heavy) and is on the heavy side, which is to be expected due to the adjusting mechanism. As I've learned shaving with a DE razor using a 34c, I tend prefer smaller handles (75-85cm) and the Rex immediately felt very comfortable. I guess though that people who like longer handles will not enjoy it that much. The grip of the handle is great, but I should state that I do not find smooth handles, like the one of the Progress, uncomfortable. Everything is perfectly aligned and smooth. The razor is not polished but I like this "industrial" look. All in all, in my opinion, the manufacturing cost and the small market that the razor addresses, justify the high prize.

Having read that the Rex becomes uncomfortable at higher settings, my first uses were around 2-2.5. That didn't work for me. In my case, the razor becomes efficient enough around 3.5. At that time, I was using one of my otherwise favorite blades, the Personna Platinum, which, unfortunately, didn't prove to be a good pairing for me. I even revisited the blade after having 15 shaves with the Rex but my initial impression didn't change.

It took me about 5 shaves to find out my preferred adjustment. I usually opt for an efficient WTG pass (#4), dropping the setting by 0.5 for each consecutive pass. I also decrease the setting to 2.5 for the ATG pass in the mustache and lower neck areas. All of my shaves with these settings (almost 20 in number) has been super smooth, irritation-free (minus a few nicks due to user error) and very close (BBS to DFS for 12 hours or so) with 3 passes. On rare occasions do I need to do any touch ups, usually after the 4th use of the blade, to achieve BBS. Compared to lower settings, there is some blade feel at 3.5-4, but it is not uncomfortable nor does it feel dangerous. At 1.5-2 it feels like a heavier 34c to me.

The razor is quite maneuverable, despite its weight. It needs the lightest of touches and I managed to get better results using shorter strokes, especially in the XTG and ATG passes. With most of my other razors, I prefer shaving at shallower angles, but for me, the Rex behaves better in the neutral to steeper range (handle closer to the face). It has been reported that it exhibits some drag, but I couldn't detect any when shaving this way, provided I used a blade that matches the razor. Favorite blades so far are on the sharper end of the spectrum, Wilkinson sword, Gillette Nacet and Perma-sharp. I also liked the couple of shaves I had with an Astra SP, but I need to revisit it for a more thorough assessment. Blade pairing is an ongoing process and I am having so much fun testing combinations so far. Apart from the Personna Platinum, I found that the Rapira Platinum Lux were pretty average for me.

All in all, the Rex is a great razor in the higher price range. Obviously, it is a luxury item and I believe that one can get excellent shaves from cheaper razors. That being said, it offers many usable shaving combinations and one can tailor the shave to his/her specific needs. In my limited experience, it is a very smooth, highly efficient razor with very good maneuverability. The fact that it can last a lifetime is an added bonus.

Finally, I would like to thank @GlazedBoker for creating this thread and the pass around, as well as all of you that contributed here. Without your reviews I doubt that I would have made the leap of faith to buy this fantastic razor.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Sotiris

I am not part of the pass around since I am in EU, but I have been using the Rex for almost a month now (minus some shaves with other razors for comparison reasons). I hope you do not mind me adding my review here. This is my first review, so I hope I do it justice.

I am relatively new in DE shaving (a bit more than a year). I have normal skin, my hair is probably average in thickness, at least by Mediterranean standards, except for the chin area where it is coarser. My beard is very dense apart from my cheeks, where it is sparser. I am a daily shaver and I tend to favor razors on the mild to mid-aggressive side of the spectrum (34c, GC .68, GC .84, Fatip Gentile and Progress) combined with sharper blades that can take better care of the growth in my chin area. These combinations can provide a very close shave after a 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) with varying need for touch-ups to achieve full BBS, based on razor efficiency and the number of uses of the blade. On a daily basis, I try to achieve the smoothest possible shave that is very close and lasts 10+ hours, while still having enough growth to shave again the next morning.

The Rex is my second adjustable, after the Progress and it quickly surpassed the latter in being my favorite razor. For me, the ability to adjust the aggression of the razor on the fly depending on the pass, specific area of the face, but also face condition is like a revelation. My excellent experience with the Progress led me to purchase the Rex when a local brick and mortar shop imported it from the US, last month.

First things first, the quality of the razor is excellent. Being formally trained in Engineering, I tend to favor such designs. I really appreciate the effort put in designing, manufacturing and, from what I've read, improving the Rex based on feedback (mine is in the O1 serial numbers). The razor is well balanced (not head or handle heavy) and is on the heavy side, which is to be expected due to the adjusting mechanism. As I've learned shaving with a DE razor using a 34c, I tend prefer smaller handles (75-85cm) and the Rex immediately felt very comfortable. I guess though that people who like longer handles will not enjoy it that much. The grip of the handle is great, but I should state that I do not find smooth handles, like the one of the Progress, uncomfortable. Everything is perfectly aligned and smooth. The razor is not polished but I like this "industrial" look. All in all, in my opinion, the manufacturing cost and the small market that the razor addresses, justify the high prize.

Having read that the Rex becomes uncomfortable at higher settings, my first uses were around 2-2.5. That didn't work for me. In my case, the razor becomes efficient enough around 3.5. At that time, I was using one of my otherwise favorite blades, the Personna Platinum, which, unfortunately, didn't prove to be a good pairing for me. I even revisited the blade after having 15 shaves with the Rex but my initial impression didn't change.

It took me about 5 shaves to find out my preferred adjustment. I usually opt for an efficient WTG pass (#4), dropping the setting by 0.5 for each consecutive pass. I also decrease the setting to 2.5 for the ATG pass in the mustache and lower neck areas. All of my shaves with these settings (almost 20 in number) has been super smooth, irritation-free (minus a few nicks due to user error) and very close (BBS to DFS for 12 hours or so) with 3 passes. On rare occasions do I need to do any touch ups, usually after the 4th use of the blade, to achieve BBS. Compared to lower settings, there is some blade feel at 3.5-4, but it is not uncomfortable nor does it feel dangerous. At 1.5-2 it feels like a heavier 34c to me.

The razor is quite maneuverable, despite its weight. It needs the lightest of touches and I managed to get better results using shorter strokes, especially in the XTG and ATG passes. With most of my other razors, I prefer shaving at shallower angles, but for me, the Rex behaves better in the neutral to steeper range (handle closer to the face). It has been reported that it exhibits some drag, but I couldn't detect any when shaving this way, provided I used a blade that matches the razor. Favorite blades so far are on the sharper end of the spectrum, Wilkinson sword, Gillette Nacet and Perma-sharp. I also liked the couple of shaves I had with an Astra SP, but I need to revisit it for a more thorough assessment. Blade pairing is an ongoing process and I am having so much fun testing combinations so far. Apart from the Personna Platinum, I found that the Rapira Platinum Lux were pretty average for me.

All in all, the Rex is a great razor in the higher price range. Obviously, it is a luxury item and I believe that one can get excellent shaves from cheaper razors. That being said, it offers many usable shaving combinations and one can tailor the shave to his/her specific needs. In my limited experience, it is a very smooth, highly efficient razor with very good maneuverability. The fact that it can last a lifetime is an added bonus.

Finally, I would like to thank @GlazedBoker for creating this thread and the pass around, as well as all of you that contributed here. Without your reviews I doubt that I would have made the leap of faith to buy this fantastic razor.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Sotiris

Excellent write up @Sotiris_A. Good to know that this thread and the many helpful reviews from the members here who have been true Gentlemen and full of class have helped you in making a sound decision. It has also helped those the other way as well in determining whether the high cost of entry was sufficient enough to lay down the $$$. It is a luxury item but, as you so well put it, it is deservedly so for many who have taken the plunge.

Happy shaves....

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Sotiris
great review. I didn't get the opportunity to try many different blades, but found issuses seating the Nacet in it and had a much better experience with a GSB.

Excellent write up @Sotiris_A. Good to know that this thread and the many helpful reviews from the members here who have been true Gentlemen and full of class have helped you in making a sound decision. It has also helped those the other way as well in determining whether the high cost of entry was sufficient enough to lay down the $$$. It is a luxury item but, as you so well put it, it is deservedly so for many who have taken the plunge.

Happy shaves....

Thank you @GlazedBoker ! Indeed, here lies some great wealth of information on the razor. I particularly found very helpful reading the constructive criticism of some members in order to make my decision.

great review. I didn't get the opportunity to try many different blades, but found issuses seating the Nacet in it and had a much better experience with a GSB.

Thank you @emwolf ! I just checked again and the only issue I have with the Nacet in my copy is that there is some minor room for the blade to move. Starting with the cap upside down, I place the blade and then fit the second piece. It aligns properly (but indeed it needs to be checked) and the blade seems to seat in the same way as the others I have used. Thanks for the suggestion on the GSB. Next up for me is the Polsilver SI and I'll try the GSB right after that. :)

I just requested the mailing address for the next participant. I’ll contribute my thoughts tomorrow. Short version is this is a great shaver.

5/29/19

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed) *Note
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
2. @Cut Throat (completed) *Note
3. @herbert7890 (in hand testing)
4. @JWK1 (on deck)
5. @amateriat (in the hole)
6. @valthun
7. @WarriorMonk
8. @shaversnapper

Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time
9. @BBS-1
10. @MC Shaving
11. @vadim
12. @jldallas
13. @johnwick
14. @Olegausany
15. @ryinzana
16. @pdieten

*Purchased a Rex.

Update after 2 shaves with it: I LOVE THIS RAZOR!!!!! Super easy to use, to find angle, etc. For reference, I had 25 razors and sold all, only kept the Blackbird and Timeless 95/68.

For the Rex, I have been using it on 5 Setting and is working great for me. Probably since I'm used to more aggressive razors, others might find 5 too aggressive. I might even try maximum setting WTG on my next shave on Wednesday. I will pm the next person to get their address and will be shipping this on Saturday (to get 4 shaves with it).

I now have the Rex on my buy list.

Update: Just sent the Rex to the following user (JWK1) and sent him a PM with the USPS Tracking Number. Many thanks for all involved for the opportunity to try this great razor. I need it now in my den : ) Will be buying in the next few months.

Hmm…just checked back here after about a month; looks like I'd better lace up my cleats and take some practice swings…

I fact, this comparo should be a bit more interesting than anticipated for me as I've made a few changes over the last four months that have brought the strengths of my Parker Variant in somewhat-higher relief. My technique has also sharpened, so to speak, and my every-other-day shaves have gotten just that extra bit nicer, so from this standpoint the Rex has some serious stuff-strutting to do. But, again, it's great that we've got several modern adjustable to choose from, whereas not that long ago we had one, maybe two?

Last edited:
I’d love to join the Rex tour list.

I am curious to see how it shaves for me. I was very close to purchasing this razor in past. I ended up getting the Karve instead.

Thanks for organizing this @GlazedBoker!

I received the razor from herbert7890. I have been out of town for my son's graduation, so I have not seen the razor until today. Tomorrow will be my first shave. The razor feels great in the hand, looks fantastic and exudes quality, IMO.

I'm approaching this one a little differently. I'm going to try to take this through my three different scenarios that I personally experience.
1. Four or five day growth. I can't remember the last time in my life I had more than five day's growth. I almost always get a great BBS type shave with a very aggressive razor.
2. Two or three day growth. This is tricky for me. I can never get a really close shave without lots of irritation and need a mild razor. Both two or three day's growth shaves the same for me. Maybe the three day is a little easier, but not much.
3. Every day. When I need this I absolutely need a mild razor and have to be very careful not to try to get too close. Two passes with touch-ups and a mild razor is what is usually needed.

So knowing herbert7890 was sending the razor (he was considerate enough to notify me of the shipping date with tracking) on Saturday, I have not shaved since Sunday (graduation day). so tomorrow will be a four day growth shave. I will do this on the highest setting. I will wait two days and shave again, using something milder. I will experiment with different settings on each side of my face. After that, I will use the mildest "1" setting and shave daily until my week is up, or until my face is so raw I can't shave any more. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Tomorrow will be the first shave report. Thank you GlazedBoker for this wonderful opportunity!

I received the razor from herbert7890. I have been out of town for my son's graduation, so I have not seen the razor until today. Tomorrow will be my first shave. The razor feels great in the hand, looks fantastic and exudes quality, IMO.

I'm approaching this one a little differently. I'm going to try to take this through my three different scenarios that I personally experience.
1. Four or five day growth. I can't remember the last time in my life I had more than five day's growth. I almost always get a great BBS type shave with a very aggressive razor.
2. Two or three day growth. This is tricky for me. I can never get a really close shave without lots of irritation and need a mild razor. Both two or three day's growth shaves the same for me. Maybe the three day is a little easier, but not much.
3. Every day. When I need this I absolutely need a mild razor and have to be very careful not to try to get too close. Two passes with touch-ups and a mild razor is what is usually needed.

So knowing herbert7890 was sending the razor (he was considerate enough to notify me of the shipping date with tracking) on Saturday, I have not shaved since Sunday (graduation day). so tomorrow will be a four day growth shave. I will do this on the highest setting. I will wait two days and shave again, using something milder. I will experiment with different settings on each side of my face. After that, I will use the mildest "1" setting and shave daily until my week is up, or until my face is so raw I can't shave any more. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Tomorrow will be the first shave report. Thank you GlazedBoker for this wonderful opportunity!
That sounds like a great approach at this,I think. You've got my attention, for one.

SHAVE REPORT #1

With a four day growth I had my first shave today with the Rex. Just for a change, I used the enclosed "bamboo grapefruit" sample sized shaving soap enclosed. I personally think any quality soap will do just fine and shaving technique trumps everything. That's just me.

Rex Ambassader razor
Plisoft brush
Nacet blade (fresh)
bamboo grapefruit shaving soap

I opened up the blade gap to max. I took a look at it and was fairly impressed. The shave was fantastic. On the max setting, the Rex was as aggressive and efficient as any DE razor I have used to date. Right up there with my ATT H2 and my Karve with F plate. Maybe more so, but I think it's just different in the way it shaves. In any case, what I found was plenty of blade feel (which I like) and very, very smooth for all that blade. I got a little careless because of that smoothness and gave myself a tiny weeper that was gone by the end of the shave. Totally my fault, but a good reminder that you still need to pay attention at this setting. I found it incredibly efficient. It seemed to take more down with each pass compared to my other razors, but I would really need to do an A&B comparison to be sure. In any case, very impressive and as aggressive and efficient a razor as I could possibly desire. I was left with a close shave with no irritation at all. The splash of witch hazel barely registered any sting of a fresh shave. This is as good as it gets for me. Outstanding.

Would I purchase this razor? Much too early to tell. For me, the acid test for an adjustable is how well it does at all settings. I have other razors that do a four day growth just fine. In fact, this is my easiest shave. However, I will say that the way it shaved and handled is as good as it gets for me.

I will shave again in two days (Sat morning). This is where things will get much more challenging for me. We will see how it does at milder settings. I will be looking for a two pass shave with touch-ups without irritation. BBS will not be required. Somewhere between DFS and SAS will be fine, hopefully leaning toward DFS.

I'm very impressed so far.

6/14/19

Group One:

1. @ShavePastor (completed) *Note
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
2. @Cut Throat (completed) *Note
3. @herbert7890 (completed)
4. @JWK1 (in hand testing)
5. @amateriat (on deck)
6. @valthun (in the hole)
7. @WarriorMonk
8. @shaversnapper

Reserve List:
1. @ram57
2. @Chef Glenn
3. @SolidSnake03
4. @DCP
5. @cgr86
6. @Parallax
7. @Badger in the Sun
8. @‘Bout Time
9. @BBS-1
10. @MC Shaving
11. @vadim
12. @jldallas
13. @johnwick
14. @Olegausany
15. @ryinzana
16. @pdieten
17. @Zen Shaver

*Purchased a Rex.

@JWK1 will have the Rex for a couple of extra days as the razor was at his residence while he was away. If anyone on the list needs to readjust or would like to get moved down on the list for vacation, work or for whatever reason, please send me a pm and we can adjust the list accordingly.

Top Bottom