What's new

REX Ambassador review and adjustables in general

Very good research, I really appreciate your vested interest . I too did a little research on Gillette and still love learning.

Thanks, it was confusing but think I figured it out. The Lab Blues unfortunately aren’t a match for me and my beard. It’s a shame, really wanted them to be a fit. I still haven’t tried them with all of my razors yet.

I'll probably never try a Rex or a Rockwell Model T, they just seem way too expensive for what they are to me. I've certainly spent more than I should on DE razors, and will probably continue to do so, but for me, $100 for a single razor is a limit I'm unlikely to cross.

One thing that I'm curious about is comparing the value of vintage Gillette adjustables vs modern adjustables. I suspect that the discussion may depend on your opinion of TTOs, since that's what the Gillettes are, but it seems to me that they're a better value than modern adjustable razors. Depending on condition, I've bought Fat Boys for about $40 (though not in auctions labeled "Fat Boy", because they draw more attention), and have seen very good condition FBs go for less than $100. Slim adjustables tend to go for less; I can often get a fair to pretty good condition user for about $25.

I had my first FB shave today, with a new Rapira Platinum Lux, on a 7 setting -- I started on 5, and it felt milder than I wanted. 7 may have a been too much, but it may also be that I'm just not used to it yet. Anyway, where I'm going is that Vintage Gillette adjustable razors seem well built, and can be had very affordably (with some hunting) in comparison modern adjustable razors. I like my Rockwell 6s, which is considered an adjustable although the big draw for me was the all stainless steel construction, but even with a military discount, I paid about twice as much for it new as I did for that used FB (it's an F4). I needed to clean it up a bit , but it cleaned up pretty well.

I don't have any other modern adjustable razors to compare with, because they either really haven't appealed to me, or they cost over $100 (Mergress), but I'm interested in whether other agree or disagree with my assessment.

Completely subjective. You can pick up a used Parker Variant for as little as $30. Is it as solidly built as a Fatboy or Slim. No. But many prefer its shave. Does that make it a better value or not?? The answer probably lies depending on the shave you prefer.
I'll probably never try a Rex or a Rockwell Model T, they just seem way too expensive for what they are to me. I've certainly spent more than I should on DE razors, and will probably continue to do so, but for me, $100 for a single razor is a limit I'm unlikely to cross.

One thing that I'm curious about is comparing the value of vintage Gillette adjustables vs modern adjustables. I suspect that the discussion may depend on your opinion of TTOs, since that's what the Gillettes are, but it seems to me that they're a better value than modern adjustable razors. Depending on condition, I've bought Fat Boys for about $40 (though not in auctions labeled "Fat Boy", because they draw more attention), and have seen very good condition FBs go for less than $100. Slim adjustables tend to go for less; I can often get a fair to pretty good condition user for about $25.

I had my first FB shave today, with a new Rapira Platinum Lux, on a 7 setting -- I started on 5, and it felt milder than I wanted. 7 may have a been too much, but it may also be that I'm just not used to it yet. Anyway, where I'm going is that Vintage Gillette adjustable razors seem well built, and can be had very affordably (with some hunting) in comparison modern adjustable razors. I like my Rockwell 6s, which is considered an adjustable although the big draw for me was the all stainless steel construction, but even with a military discount, I paid about twice as much for it new as I did for that used FB (it's an F4). I needed to clean it up a bit , but it cleaned up pretty well.

I don't have any other modern adjustable razors to compare with, because they either really haven't appealed to me, or they cost over $100 (Mergress), but I'm interested in whether other agree or disagree with my assessment.

I am waiting on the Rex but can say my Variant can get me to BBS in just 2 passes whereas my Fatboy takes 3 passes.

Like the Gillette Fatboy, Slim and SA, I start on a higher setting on the first passes and finish with one of the lowest settings against the grain. I redialed/calibrated my Variant to + as the lowest setting after affixing a Merkur top cap to it as it is now more aggressive per setting but smoother/more maneuverable at the same time.

Although the Variant is more efficient for me, the Fatboy is a much better built razor and will be still used by someone long after I’m gone and what’s left of the Variant is spare parts. I love my Variant but if I had to choose to keep one, any one of my Gillettes would win out. I personally feel the Gillettes are beautiful, iconic, historic razors and are built to last.

Heck, I’m at a point where I can get BBS with anything in 3 passes now. Personally, my RAD has nothing to do with trying to find the best or most efficient razor, I look for other things in a razor such as innovation, materials, history and or possible future value and build quality.

As far as non-adjustables, my Fendrihan Mark II is the only other 2 pass BBS razor I have, but also would never choose that over my 3 pass Timeless.

Point taken about being subjective. The Parker Variant didn't appeal to me very much due to having a 4-inch handle, which is over 1/2 inch longer than I like, but that doesn't make it a bad razor.

Off topic, but I came very close to buying a Parker 87R before reading that they're considered quite mild -- it's a very attractive, well built, short handled razor. If it were a bit more aggressive, the 87R might have been a perfect balance of features and price for me.

Although the Variant is more efficient for me, the Fatboy is a much better built razor and will be still used by someone long after I’m gone and what’s left of the Variant is spare parts. I love my Variant but if I had to choose to keep one, any one of my Gillettes would win out. I personally feel the Gillettes are beautiful, iconic, historic razors and are built to last.

Heck, I’m at a point where I can get BBS with anything in 3 passes now. Personally, my RAD has nothing to do with trying to find the best or most efficient razor, I look for other things in a razor such as innovation, materials, history and or possible future value and build quality..

I guess that's where we part ways. I never reached for the Fatboy.when I owned one so its iconic status and build quality didn't mean much. I kept my vintage Progress, which I do reach for, and with the $ from the Fatboy bought two or three SE razors which are simply more enjoyable for me than the Fatboy ever was. Future value I could not care less, I'm a shaving enthusiast not a collector/investor.. And my MMOC is its equal in build and historical importance (the first commercially successful TTO) for what that's worth.

Last edited:
I guess that's where we part ways. I never reached for the Fatboy.when I owned one so its iconic status and build quality didn't mean much. I kept my vintage Progress, which I do reach for, and with the $ from the Fatboy bought two or three SE razors which are simply more enjoyable for me than the Fatboy ever was. And my MMOC is its equal in build and historical importance for what that's worth.

I agree with what you said earlier, very subjective. Everyone wants different things with their razors. I started out DE shaving 6 years ago very happy with my Edwin Jagger. It was only after my father died that I wanted to find 2 razors he used, a Fatboy and a 50s flare tip Super Speed. This began my RAD.

My father hated carts and moved on to Norelcos during the early 80s. The razor he bought me when I started shaving was a Norelco. The Norelco destroyed my neck so I eventually got an Atra. I got the EJ after he told me his old razors were long gone.

To my father, his razors were like screwdrivers, only tools and he wasn’t nostalgic. He even commented to me he was puzzled that I would want use old technology and couldn’t believe that DE blades were still being produced for safety razors.

I feel differently than my father and started kits for my boys containing my favorite razors for when they begin shaving. I want to pass that on to them. I cut myself at age 4 with his Super Speed, my mom gave him hell for leaving a blade in it. Would’ve loved to have that damn thing.

I literally bought a 1971 R3 Black Beauty NOS, brand new in the packaging for $200 and I recently started using that and cannot believe how smooth the shaves I am getting with it. Seems like a toss up between the REX and the BB. I love the lighter handle on the BB. I also do use in between click settings just as if it had an infinite band like the REX. Yes vintage adjustables are great shavers, that is why the modern ones tend to copy them or improve on them somewhat. I still believe adjustables do take away from technique but nevertheless, they are still good razors. All depends what you are after. I can get very good shaves from the Merkur 34c but I do like trying out different gear now. I didn't before. I stuck with a tech for 10 years and ended up getting worse shaves because my hair grew coarser and I had changed from shower shaving to over the sink so everything had to change, including my blades and even the soap!

I have or have owned most of the DE razors mentioned. I didn't like the Rockwood 6, very bulky. I like the shave of the Futur but that to is bulky. When comparing a Gillette FatBoy to the Rex is like comparing a Mercedes to a Ford. The Gillette is very good for a mass produced razor. It has stood the test of time. The Rex has better tolerances and it holds the blade firmer. As for the Rex's weight, its not the weight of the razor, its the balance. I learned that first hand with straight razors. The settings are not uniform on razors so there is experimenting that needs to be done. Lastly, the blade is also a major part of the equation. The Rex holds the blade with no clatter and it is equal on both sides.

I think that Merkur razors will cover your every needs. A Merkur Progress is an amazing adjustable razor. I know people think that a 200 dollar plus razor will give a great shave, sure a 200 dollar razor will be of great craftsmanship but as far as the shave goes it won't be better than a lower end razor. So it's like wrist watches. A Rolex will be of great craftsmanship but a 100 dollar Seiko will tell time just as good

I think that Merkur razors will cover your every needs. A Merkur Progress is an amazing adjustable razor. I know people think that a 200 dollar plus razor will give a great shave, sure a 200 dollar razor will be of great craftsmanship but as far as the shave goes it won't be better than a lower end razor. So it's like wrist watches. A Rolex will be of great craftsmanship but a 100 dollar Seiko will tell time just as good

you don't even need to spend 100 dollars on a Seiko either. i own this and it tells time perfectly fine and looks great for only $10
https://www.amazon.com/CASIO-F91W-1-Casual-Sport-Watch/dp/B00006I551

The belief that the more money a consumer item costs insures it will be superior for one's need is a common attitude. It's largely untrue. There are many exceptions, but I have found much of the time "less is more."

It's more important to do one's homework before buying, make a sensible selection, and then to maintain the item carefully during ownership. That's the most efficient way to buy and to use.

you do get what you pay for MOST of the time. thats what people miss.

anyway, i love the REX, its dethroned all my other razors. i use it at 1.5 and its the smoothest razor ive shaved with. i used to shave in the shower because of the steam allowing it to get BBS nick-free shaves but with this razor, i can shave over the sink and get just as good of a shave. ive tried this in the shower and it is unbelievable.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm definitely not in the it must be better because it costs more camp. I'd put a simple Fatip Mk2 up against any DE for smoothness and efficiency.

Last edited:
Since you have both, try your Progress top cap on your Variant sometime. Fits like a glove. Smoother, more agressive per setting and gets under the nose better than the stock Variant cap. Looks nice too. Found out by accident after a busted Variant cap. I call it my ”Vargress”

Now that is interesting. Haven't had a peep of trouble with my "all-original" Variant so far, and it shaves so well as-is I can't say I'm tempted to try this, but it's cool to know I could.

I did try the Rex as part of the Pass-Around, and while I think it's a fantastic razor in terms of fit and finish, in my experience it did not ace the Variant by any significant margin–certainly not enough for me to consider switching. And in some ways, the Variant is easier for me to work with in terms of stuff like blade changes (faster and less-fussy), and an adjustment knob that doesn't get knocked off my chosen setting mid-shave (which for me was an issue with the Rex). These aren't universal dealbreakers, and a good number of people here love the Rex to pieces. Shaving is something of a contact sport, and no two guys go by the exact same playbook. :001_smile

And the Variant? I wrote about it here: Parker Variant: Long(ish)-term Review

I also had to deal with hard-water shaving, and thought I'd simply have to suck it up and deal. But then this happened: My Ultimate Wetshaving Upgrade?

The Variant is an awesome razor for sure. People are put off by the Zamac head but what most people don’t know is the thread is brass and this is where most of those Zamac issues occur. If you don’t bang them around, it should last decades.

In fact, I did not know this about the Variant's thread: makes me feel even better about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom