What's new

REX Ambassador review and adjustables in general

I learned to shave when I was 14 on a Super 109, which I still have. I love adjustables, however they get pretty pricey.
My current adjustable lineup:
Fatboy
Slim
Toggle
Super
Eclipse Red Ring (somewhat adjustable)
Rockwell 6c
Merkur Futur
Merkur Progress
Parker Variant
Q Shave Parthenon
and someday the Rockwell Model T

And the ones who CAN afford it, probably will buy it just for the heck of it even if it sucks, just to have it because they have 500 razors and 40 Paladin brushes (you know who you are!), or because they want to try something new.

as lots of people on this forum who are desperate for that holy grail razor that will give them the best shave of their life.

All in all, the razor is just TOO EXPENSIVE for the masses and it is marketed to the masses. I believe that is the problem.

I disagree with every statement you make here.

My top shaver is my pre-war Tech. Every shave I have with it is a good one. I got the thing for $34.00.

I didn’t buy my Timeless because I was looking for a “Holy Grail” razor. I bought it to own a well crafted, beautiful piece. Some people think the Timeless is the most efficient razor they have ever owned and sell off their other razors, others just enjoy them and tweak their technique and some just sell them off if it doesn’t fit their idea of a perfect razor. To each their own.

Because I can get a better shave with the Tech doesn’t mean that it is a better razor than my Timeless.

Over a period of time, a quartz Casio watch will eventually start to keep better time than a mechanical Rolex, but you’ll be hard pressed to find someone who thinks a Casio is a better watch than a Rolex. You can make similar comparisons with cars, suits, whatever.

Of course you might find razors in the more inexpensive range that might be better suited for your face than an offering over $100.00. What works for your face doesn’t work for everyone.

Last edited:
First off, this isn't a comprehensive review.

I just got this razor in today and it was shave day for me.

You just got the razor in and you are reviewing it after one shave?

I would not recommend this razor based on my experience with it. That is, its too heavy, thick and aggressive. Its weight makes it awkward to shave. The cost factor is a huge thing for most people. I have money to blow on these things but others don't and so for them this review may be helpful.

Your experience? One shave? How can you make a credible recommendation?

I think it is suitable for when you have thicker hair after a few days, you can use a more aggressive setting.

How would you know? You haven't used it for a few days.

I'm not used to shaving with DEs but anyway, this is my review of it.

Ah, the money quote. You are reviewing a razor even though you are an inexperienced DE shaver.

All in all, the razor is just TOO EXPENSIVE for the masses and it is marketed to the masses. I believe that is the problem.

You are right about one thing--the razor is too expensive to be a razor being marketed to the masses. The marketing is exactly the opposite of what you describe.

You just got the razor in and you are reviewing it after one shave?

Your experience? One shave? How can you make a credible recommendation?

How would you know? You haven't used it for a few days.

Ah, the money quote. You are reviewing a razor even though you are an inexperienced DE shaver.

You are right about one thing--the razor is too expensive to be a razor being marketed to the masses. The marketing is exactly the opposite of what you describe.

proxy.php

Amen!

I learned to shave when I was 14 on a Super 109, which I still have. I love adjustables, however they get pretty pricey.
Fatboy
Slim
Toggle
Super
Rockwell 6c
Merkur Futur
Merkur Progress
Parker Variant
Q Shave Parthenon

Since you have both, try your Progress top cap on your Variant sometime. Fits like a glove. Smoother, more agressive per setting and gets under the nose better than the stock Variant cap. Looks nice too. Found out by accident after a busted Variant cap. I call it my ”Vargress”

Attachments

• 57D2B804-4324-4083-B2E0-563B7756BB47.jpeg
    57D2B804-4324-4083-B2E0-563B7756BB47.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 4053AECB-89C3-4D75-AAE5-F87E0C69A587.jpeg
    4053AECB-89C3-4D75-AAE5-F87E0C69A587.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
Fatboy
Slim
Toggle
Super
Rockwell 6c
Merkur Futur
Merkur Progress
Parker Variant
Q Shave Parthenon

Like your lineup! Could use a Gibbs adjustable in that rotation....

Like your lineup! Could use a Gibbs adjustable in that rotation....

Speaking of Gibbs, always wanted to get one but put it off when one could be had for about $40.00. Now they’re going for $150.00 + since the Rex came out.

Speaking of Gibbs, always wanted to get one but put it off when one could be had for about $40.00. Now they’re going for $150.00 + since the Rex came out.

Yes, the prices for them has gone up quite a bit. They were certainly a steal back at $40.... I love mine and that is one razor I will not sell, along with my Gillette Toggle

The OP makes a lot of assumptions based on one shave. I have written reviews on razors after one shave and continue to follow up with multiple shaves. My opinion of these razors is just that, my opinion of how it works FOR ME. To then make assumptions on how this razor would work for others is truly an error in judgment. I enjoy my shaves with the Rex, I like the knurling and appreciate the weight of the razor. I get a very enjoyable shave using it at level 4.5. This is my opinion of the razor and as always YMMV

I have a Rex too and been using it for about three weeks. I have tried quite a few razors until I got the Rex. Once I started using it, I liked it so much that I ended up selling most of my other razors. For the first time this morning, my shave with the Rex has become better than those with Rockwell 6s, which was my former favorite.
I actually really like the knurling on it. Would have liked it to be a little lighter, but still like its aesthetics over some other high end SS razors that are the favorites of many.

Not that im trying to pile on for another first down, but i've read and watched a lot of reviews on razors and this the first time i've read about somebody complaining that the knurling was too good. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've a Rex Ambassador from the group buy on the other forum. impeccable build but sadly QC issues. One side shaves very harsh compared to the other. I have informed Matt and sent the razor back for correction.

Southsider, I realized I actually made a typo. Of course I AM used to shaving with DE's! I've been doing it straight for 11 years now! Maybe you missed the first few lines in my original post where I mentioned I've used my TECH for 10 years straight?

As I mentioned, this is my review. It is my opinion. Never stated facts. Thats why its called a review. If you don't like my review, that's too bad for you as it doesn't affect me. My post was for others to view my opinion and not take them as facts. Just like one guy hates one razor, another will love it. Do yourself a favor, go buy the razor and use it and enjoy it. You won't need my review for your justification....

Hopefully nobody is trying to badger you good sir. We are all family here. I personally never post a review based off one first shave. Mindsets change after a few attempts. At least mine does. That's the point I was trying to make. Have a great day.

Thanks. I realize that it may be too soon to post a full review. My first impression on it still stands as I believe it is too heavy, thick and expensive. I did not mention it shaved terrible. I did mention I had a pretty good shave out of it actually. Therefore, I will be giving it some more shaves with different blades and prep and post again. I must say that after shaving with the tech for 10 years in the shower and now switching over to the sink, my technique has a lot more work to do. I used to shave every other day in the shower with the help of steam but with that out of the picture, things have changed and I can only shave comfortably every 3 days at minimum which really bothers me now.

I've been using the Merkur 34c, Rockwell 6S mostly on setting 6 (but will try 5 next time), and my Tech. The tech to me over the sink seems to bring about an undesirable shave. It is too mild and does not shave me smooth as my hair is coarse. The others are smoother. I have also been using other blades between the Personna sold in CVS (i believe it is lab blur) and Gillette Platinums. I may need to start doing hot towels or possibly shave with a pot of boiling water underneath me for some steam. The scuttle is ok but not as effective as steam.

Have a great day as well.

As I mentioned, this is my review. It is my opinion. Never stated facts. Thats why its called a review. If you don't like my review, that's too bad for you as it doesn't affect me. My post was for others to view my opinion and not take them as facts. Just like one guy hates one razor, another will love it. Do yourself a favor, go buy the razor and use it and enjoy it. You won't need my review for your justification....

I was probably a bit hard on your review as well.

It just seemed you were making some exaggerated assumptions on why members would or would not purchase this razor. It came across as an anti-Rex rant vice a thoughtful even if negative review. But I realize that was likely not your intent.

If the CVS blades are made in Israel, you are right, they are probably the Personnas. They just split the company and there is another plant in Northern Virginia. The current Lab Blues, Hospital, injectors and a myriad of other blades are produced in Virginia. Israel still has their factory and produce DE blades but they are no longer US based, but I believe still use the Personna name.

I have a coarse beard also and never had very good results with the Personnas made in Israel nor the Lab Blues made here. A lot of people swear by them, but they just don’t work well on my face.

A very sharp, rigid blade is the Kai and it might work for you as it did me. Very smooth and they last me at least 5 days of daily shaving. Another is the Gillette Yellow 7 O’Clock made in the St. Petersburg plant, also rigid and sharp. I will try other blades here and there but always go back to Kai and the Yellows.

Top Bottom