What's new

REX Ambassador review and adjustables in general

First off, this isn't a comprehensive review.

I just got this razor in today and it was shave day for me. At first hand, I felt this razor was too big for me. It is heavy. The diameter of the handle is too thick and the knurling is too aggressive. I don't mind it being 3 piece instead of a TTO/butterfly. I did not try all the dials because I know this is a more aggressive razor and I used a tech for 10 years before realizing my hair got coarser over the last 10 years (from 25 to 35) and my favorite razor NOW (back then was too aggressive!) is the Merkur 34 hands down. Not only in its design, but its cost. But I noticed even 2 was too aggressive for me. And I use the 6 plate on my Rockwell 6S as anything less is mild.

Anyway, I feel that on setting 1.5, it shaves pretty good but it just feels too heavy overall and did not seem as smooth as my Merkur. Maybe I have to get used to it. I feel that I got a pretty good shave out of it but here is the thing about adjustables. There are too many variables. I feel that in general, adjustables give you more anxiety about shaving since the variables increase 10 fold. Not only are there different blades you can use, but then all the different settings on the razor never allow you to hone in on your technique properly. The dial on this is amazing, no clicks. What that means is anything from 0.5 (yes half) to almost 6.5 and anything in between. Its called "infinite" for that reason. There is no 1, 1.5, 2, etc. You could go 2.23 or 1.76 for all you want!

I feel that adjustables have their advantages and disadvantages but I also have the Rockwell 6S and I prefer the REX over that only because I can change dials on the fly but then again, the REX is $249 and the 6S is only $100 ($50 for the chrome) and I get smooth shaves out of the 6S

I would not recommend this razor based on my experience with it. That is, its too heavy, thick and aggressive. Its weight makes it awkward to shave. The cost factor is a huge thing for most people. I have money to blow on these things but others don't and so for them this review may be helpful.

One shave in and you are casting it off? Give it a few weeks before making final judgments. Shave one on my Rex was pretty good. I made an adjustment on the second shave by trying a very shallow angle that did not work out for me.

Shave 3 and beyond I used a steep angle and have been loving it ever since. Anything less than setting 5 was too mild for me. I shave on 6.5 only now. As always, YMMV.

My first Shave with my rex the weight does feel a little different. Also depends on what razors you are use to using. The rex is an amazing razor. It's dethroned a few of my top guns. It's a keeper !

I bought the Timeless 95 OC in stainless because I thought it was one of the most beautiful razors out there. Upon receipt, you could really see the craftsmanship and it looked even better than all the pictures.

That said, it was my worst shaver for a while before I finally got it dialed in. Initially, I could only get DFS with a Kai, but now I can get BBS with any blade. Out of all my razors, vintage and modern, the Timeless took the longest to get right.

Give it some time. I’ve found that adjustables are pretty straight forward.

When shaving with the grain, go with the highest setting where it still remains smooth and go to the lowest or second to lowest settings for all against the grain strokes, including neck/throat areas.

My adjustables include the Fatboy, Slim, Super 84, Variant and I will soon be getting my Rex.

No I am not casting it off specifically. I am casting all adjustables off but I feel the REX is too expensive for most people to even consider an adjustable. It isn't the holy grail is what I intend to say and I've tried others such as the SLIM, and Rockwell 6S and I feel for the price, it isn't worth it. I can gladly keep it and use it but it wouldn't really be in my rotation as much as fixed razors. I think it is suitable for when you have thicker hair after a few days, you can use a more aggressive setting. That is if you don't have a more aggressive razor. It does shave good but as mentioned, the handle and weight is awkward. For me, it isn't practical.

The weight/balance issues of the Rex aren't present in one of its inspirations, the Gibbs #17 adjustable. I recently bought a Rex when they ran a sale on them, and it isn't as fine an instrument as the Gibbs. Still a good razor, but I guess I expected more.

I kind of like adjustables, although the only one I have left in my stable is a Fatboy. The Fatboy is an awesome razor and will never leave my den.

For many years adjustable razors were my favorite. My first ones were the FB and Slim and I used them exclusively for more than 50 years. Then I bought two Progress razors that were converted to Megress razors. However, when I tried a slant razors the picture changed and now slants are my weapons of choice.

Did you load the blades correctly?

You need to press it deep into the bars on the top cap before screwing in the handle.

I saw it on YouTube.

Save yourself a ton of money and get the fantastic Parker Variant!

The Variant is an awesome razor for sure. People are put off by the Zamac head but what most people don’t know is the thread is brass and this is where most of those Zamac issues occur. If you don’t bang them around, it should last decades.

Of course I loaded the blade correctly. I'm not used to shaving with DEs but anyway, this is my review of it. This review isn't really even suited for the masses since they won't bother spending $250 on a razor no matter what and they shouldn't because the Merkur 34 is a much better razor and available for 1/10th the price! And the ones who CAN afford it, probably will buy it just for the heck of it even if it sucks, just to have it because they have 500 razors and 40 Paladin brushes (you know who you are!), or because they want to try something new.

Hell I know people that can shave with ANYTHING and they do have many razors in their rotation but will shave with different razors out of boredom because to them, shaving is an art. One guy mentioned it is about mastering each razor since each razor requires different technique to shave properly. To them this isn't about finding what works for them as lots of people on this forum who are desperate for that holy grail razor that will give them the best shave of their life.

Sadly that doesn't really exist since the variables determined by that are not limited to just the razor itself but others such as technique, blades, prep, skin sensitivity, water type, water temp, days of growth (if i wait 3-4 days I get super smooth BBS with WTG and ATG passes but if i wait 2 days forget it, I cant even shave XTG), and even what you eat and time of day can affect your shave! In fact, for those seeking that holy grail razor, they should completely look past this one because of the fact it is adjustable and very expensive. Those two alone are enough reasons for them to buy something practical and effective such as the Merkur 34. I am not against adjustables for the sake of using them but for newcomers, I believe they can actually make the experience worse since they cannot and will not focus on their technique but mindlessly change dials to try to get a better shave. I believe they are efficient when it comes to variances in hair growth for experienced users. I can't use my TECH as effectively after 5 days of growth as compared to the next day or so just to keep it stubble-free. I guess thats why others prefer just to wack it down with the R41.

All in all, the razor is just TOO EXPENSIVE for the masses and it is marketed to the masses. I believe that is the problem.

This razor is for the hardcore enthusiasts. People buying a razor just to shave and be done with won't buy this anyway. It was never intended to be mass market anyway.

This is a reminder to those looking for that holy grail adjustable. It doesn't exist. I do believe the REX is marketed to the masses. Not the world per se. The masses in wetshaving that is. Other razors are cheaper especially vintage ones. This one is for hardcore enthusiasts. Correct on that one.

For many years adjustable razors were my favorite. My first ones were the FB and Slim and I used them exclusively for more than 50 years. Then I bought two Progress razors that were converted to Megress razors. However, when I tried a slant razors the picture changed and now slants are my weapons of choice.

Wow 50 years straight of using the adjustable razors! I do hear the slants are in a league of their own.

I love my Rex. Been using it exclusively for 2 months. Sold off my other razors and this one will be it until the grave.

I don’t really agree with OP about adjustables. I think most generally work pretty well and I enjoy the ability to adjust settings for a milder feeling (or more aggressive) shave on the fly. Just my thoughts.

I don’t own a Rex so have no real comments about it. I will say that despite the high price it appears as a very well built razor, and an all SS adjustable is quite an impressive feat.

Top Bottom