What's new

REX Ambassador Quality Control Issue?

Hi All,

I recently bought a REX Ambassador and have noticed a few nicks that have popped up after cleaning it twice with a very soft toothbrush.

The first time I cleaned it I noticed a small nick that appeared on the bar or blade guard. Its fairly small but feels pretty rough and catches your skin or nail when run over it. However, it does not affect the quality of the shave. (Also the first time I cleaned it it left a bunch of small scratches on the top cover which I had mentioned in another thread).

After using it for another week it was time to clean it out again before changing blades and once it dried off I noticed a small gouge that appeared on the base plate where the bars from the top cap sit into. When I took a closer look it seems like it may have been a defect from the machining process because it’s very smooth and there’s no way a soft toothbrush could cause that kind of damage. Again, this does not affect the quality of the shave.

Is it possible that both nicks were caused during the manufacturing process and maybe some kind of compound was applied over it and polished which may have come off during cleaning? None of the gouges were there when I received the brand new razor as I definitely would have noticed. I’m afraid to clean it anymore in case I discover anything else.

The REX is the most expensive razor in my rotation and the only reason I bought it was so I could hand it down to my kids and/or grandkids because of its build quality but now I’m a little bummed out if this is what happens after a few uses what will it look like when it’s time to pass it down? Not to mention I have babied the heck out of the razor since I’ve owned it in order to preserve it as best as I could.

Should I reach out to REX support or am I being too picky? Considering the cost of the razor I did not expect something like this to happen and my OCD will drive me crazy if I have to look at those defects everyday.

Thank you very much for your input!

Attachments

• 510054F4-6F03-4780-9F2C-25B80D89D041.jpeg
    510054F4-6F03-4780-9F2C-25B80D89D041.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 164
  • C107A93F-7922-42D2-BB16-5A10542204CA.jpeg
    C107A93F-7922-42D2-BB16-5A10542204CA.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 159
  • 36F4778B-C34E-482E-8C47-70691E3C3382.jpeg
    36F4778B-C34E-482E-8C47-70691E3C3382.jpeg
    548.7 KB · Views: 157
Those dings happened after coating. As you can see the base metal. If you did not see them when you first got it. I highly doubt that they were covered up by anything. Have you considered that you may have done this somehow?

Tools will not remain pristine when you use them. If you are unhappy with the razor I suggest you return it for a refund and find a razor that is up to your standards.

That is the problem with sharp arrises, they show up dings very easily. Get used to it or find another razor with rounded angles. You will pick a few more dings during daily use and maintenance.
The ding in the first photo was probably not caused by you during cleaning, it came out of the factory that way.

R

romsitsa

Hello, if the "pits" weren't there when you received it, then it's up to the sellers goodwill. The ding in the center looks like a manufacturing error, but the small one one the bar could have been caused even by a blade.
Stainless steel is not hard enough to be scratch resistant (no matter what marketing says), so it will develop scratches, whatever you do.

You should contact the vendor and politely request (insist on) a repair or replacement. It’s worth the effort to do so.

My Rex Ambassador is my favorite razor. However, of the 2 razors I’ve purchased from Razor Emporium (the Ambassador and a Gillette made to order), both had glaring quality control problems. In both cases, I sent them back for rework. The Ambassador came back flawless. They even buffed out some scratches I had accidentally put in the baseplate from a blade that hadn’t engages on the pins in the top cap. The Gillette wasn’t as perfect as it should’ve been for the price, but it was good enough.

I know there were some issues with the early run Ambassadors, but I recently bought an Ambassador directly from Razor Emporium and it was flawless. Sorry for your trouble.

What is the plate code on your Ambassador?

I know there were some issues with the early run Ambassadors, but I recently bought an Ambassador directly from Razor Emporium and it was flawless. Sorry for your trouble.

What is the plate code on your Ambassador?
The one I have ends in ‘O4’. I guess it was manufactured during the last quarter of 2019?

The plate I got was a P1. I know the company recently moved workshops / offices and I wonder if it affected their stock as well? Could they have inadvertently put a previously returned unit in the new stock stream?

It looks like I ordered mine at the end of June.

Have you contacted Matt at Razor Emporium? It should be a pretty easy replacement, considering this post by RE/Rex owner Matt on another shave forum last week:

”I am sorry to hear about this issue. I've always taken the position that it's far easier to make a customer happy with a replacement or rework or whatever than let them be upset. They will spread the negative word much farther than if you just take care of them.

If it has my name on it (razor emporium or rex) I stand behind it. Period.“

Have you contacted Matt at Razor Emporium? It should be a pretty easy replacement, considering this post by RE/Rex owner Matt on another shave forum last week:

”I am sorry to hear about this issue. I've always taken the position that it's far easier to make a customer happy with a replacement or rework or whatever than let them be upset. They will spread the negative word much farther than if you just take care of them.

If it has my name on it (razor emporium or rex) I stand behind it. Period.“
Thanks for your input. I reached out to REX support and Matt said he will replace the base plate. I’ll be sending him my razor.

Thanks for your input. I reached out to REX support and Matt said he will replace the base plate. I’ll be sending him my razor.

Good to hear. My experiences with Matt at Razor Emporium have been top notch in dealing with problems like this.

That base plate does look like a problem from the factory.

Top Bottom