What's new

Rex Ambassador/Pearl Flexi

Hi all,

I currently only own one adjustable razor (the Parker Variant, although I also own a couple of 'plate' adjustables such as the Karve) and was thinking of trying another.

My question is twofold, firstly any thoughts or advice on the 2 mentioned? I gather that the Pearl may be a cheaper copy of the Ambassador, so if anyone has tried both, does the Rex justify a cost circa 3 times as much (I recognise that the materials will be better and it will last longer etc, but does it shave better?).

My second question (which for my wife would undoubtedly be the first question!) is, given I have a Karve and Variant, do I need either?!!

thank you

I have read that the Rex Ambassador tends to be more blade forward. The Pearl Flexi seems to get good reviews. I have been using the Denali, which is like a Rex Ambassador, but with the intention of a smoother, less blade forward design.

I have read that the Rex Ambassador tends to be more blade forward. The Pearl Flexi seems to get good reviews. I have been using the Denali, which is like a Rex Ambassador, but with the intention of a smoother, less blade forward design.
Where can you find the denali

Fayiz D.

Hi all,

I currently only own one adjustable razor (the Parker Variant, although I also own a couple of 'plate' adjustables such as the Karve) and was thinking of trying another.

My question is twofold, firstly any thoughts or advice on the 2 mentioned? I gather that the Pearl may be a cheaper copy of the Ambassador, so if anyone has tried both, does the Rex justify a cost circa 3 times as much (I recognise that the materials will be better and it will last longer etc, but does it shave better?).

My second question (which for my wife would undoubtedly be the first question!) is, given I have a Karve and Variant, do I need either?!!

thank you

I owned in the past the Ambassador. I also own an original Gibbs and now I have a Flexi.
First of all not the Rex and not the Flexi shaves like Gibbs.
For your question. Rex is beautifully made and feels very high quality. Flexi also feels very well made but of course not the Rex standard. Flexi for me shaves a bit smoother than a Rex and it also slightly less aggressive.
Flexi is very very good razor and it is a steal for the money they ask for it.
Does the Rex justify its cost? Not.
But it your decision to make.
Hope it was helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the only new razor you need is the GC .84.
Or maybe the EJ 3one6.
But definitely the .84.
Neither will work for you if you looking for an adjustable.
I'm curious about Rex and Flexi, but having the two I mentioned I can't justify the additional expense.
Unless I get a Wolfman.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I own Rex and absolutely like its efficiency, comfort and excellent handle, and I think its price and quality match.

But given that you want to know the balance between shaving performance and price, I would say that razors that exceed karve/6s/gamechanger/lupo... are all at a premium, and even the fact that the "second razor" itself is a premium.

Wives don’t understand why we need plural razors, just as we can’t understand the lipstick on their desk.

Maybe get a Pearl Flexi. Experience how it works for you. It'sa bit softer and less blade feel on the skin compared to the Ambassador. If you like it, and need a lighter, more blade feel and efficient stainless steel version - get the Rex Ambassador and put the Flexi in your travel pouch. The Ambassador is more blade feel but not harsh- I've an earlier N2 2018 model and a recently purchased latest 2021 series.

And if you don't like any one or both- there's always BST - they always go fast !

Last edited:
I owned in the past the Ambassador. I also own an original Gibbs and now I have a Flexi.
First of all not the Rex and not the Flexi shaves like Gibbs.
For your question. Rex is beautifully made and feels very high quality. Flexi also feels very well made but of course not the Rex standard. Flexi for me shaves a bit smoother than a Rex and it also slightly less aggressive.
Flexi is very very good razor and it is a steal for the money they ask for it.
Does the Rex justify its cost? Not.
But it your decision to make.
Hope it was helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I concur! The Rex is my favorite razor but my Flexi (which I bought for traveling) shaves just as good, albeit a little less efficiently.

As mentioned above, the quality of materials is different (which explains the price difference), so it is the weight. Pearl is smoother than Rex, but is heavier. This is not a problem if you like heavy razors. I have to mention that Pearl is well balanced, though. I would suggest trying Flexi Pearl first Since your investment would require less money.

Hi all,

Many thanks for all your replies.

I took the plunge (used all my brownie points with my wife!) and bought the Flexi. Just had my first shave with it, and very happy. Two passes, setting 4 on face and 1.5 on neck. Very pleased with the results and in my view the heft of the thing really helps with ‘let the weight of the razor’ do the work.

Hi all,

Many thanks for all your replies.

I took the plunge (used all my brownie points with my wife!) and bought the Flexi. Just had my first shave with it, and very happy. Two passes, setting 4 on face and 1.5 on neck. Very pleased with the results and in my view the heft of the thing really helps with ‘let the weight of the razor’ do the work.
Enjoy!

Excellent choice! I have both, and like them equally for slightly different reasons.

If you enjoy the Flexi (and I suspect your satisfaction will only grow from here), the Rex offers a lighter, more responsive, razor with a markedly more tactile grip.

Is it, "worth it"? Possibly not, but I don't mind taking a trip with my Flexi, whereas the Rex will generally stay at home. Of course, you can have a couple (or three) Flexis for one Rex.

If you have the funds and opportunity, I highly recommend the Rex too!😎

I would choose the Flexi over the Rex all day long.

The Rex is not as smooth, even when you dial down to the lowest settings.

Also, for as expensive as the Rex is, I expected the craftsmanship to be a little better.

Just my two cents.

(Sent from mobile)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Where can you find the denali

Fayiz D.

This is mine.

11-19-21.Denali.Adjustable.640.JPG

I ordered it directly from Giovanni. It was shipped from Florida.

I think there are a few more available to us in the USA.

I've not shaved with it yet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have the Rex, the Flexi, and the Variant. The Variant shaves at least as well and probably better for me so I don't think you need either of the others. The Flexi is very heavy. For me, it borders on too heavy. It shaves ok but I have to consciously keep the pressure off. If you're used to "using the weight of the razor to do the work", well for me that is too much and it will irritate. The Rex is better in that regard but it still doesn't shave as smooth as the original Gibbs. The Variant really punches above it's price.

Top Bottom