What's new

REX ambassador first shave

I have my shave ritual that helps those bad shaves barely ever happen, wet your beard down well use proraso white when your face starts to dry then throw a coat of something like maggards Lime shave oil, post i use proraso green for the cooling and a good splash i use fine accoutrements italian citrus you can tell when you use a splash that its putting much needed oils back into your skin after your shave so close just a thought

I start my shave with my Ambassador on 5 moving up to 5.5 often
I use PAA Cube as my preshave. I switched to the Blackland Blackbird titanium. I’m starting to learn this razor and am getting good shaves. Thanks for the help.

Just to jump in and provide some info on my journey with the Ambassador. I have been doing the DE thing for over 20 years and dispensed with everything except an Edwin Jagger and feather blades. A few years ago I bought a World's Finest and shifted to that with Feathers. Last year I bought the Ambassador and tried everything for 8 months before I gave up on all of the nicks and weepers. I tossed it in the drawer.
Then I decided to come back to B&B and read a bunch of posts. I decided to try two things. I bought some Astra blades and did all of my passes with a setting of 1, moving up to 2 for pass 3. Wonder of wonder, bbs in 3 passes, no cuts or nicks, where it takes 4 passes with my World's Finest and Feathers. Clearly the less sharp blade and the non-macho lowest setting for the Ambassador made a huge difference.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Just to jump in and provide some info on my journey with the Ambassador. I have been doing the DE thing for over 20 years and dispensed with everything except an Edwin Jagger and feather blades. A few years ago I bought a World's Finest and shifted to that with Feathers. Last year I bought the Ambassador and tried everything for 8 months before I gave up on all of the nicks and weepers. I tossed it in the drawer.
Then I decided to come back to B&B and read a bunch of posts. I decided to try two things. I bought some Astra blades and did all of my passes with a setting of 1, moving up to 2 for pass 3. Wonder of wonder, bbs in 3 passes, no cuts or nicks, where it takes 4 passes with my World's Finest and Feathers. Clearly the less sharp blade and the non-macho lowest setting for the Ambassador made a huge difference.
When people use Gillette fatboy/slim / Rockwell 6s/ Merkur Progress...etc other adjustable razors, they usually start to try middle scale like 3 or 4.

And the Rex Ambassador offers a wider range of aggression options (adding some high aggression range) which is well-intentioned, but people unknowingly get used to using the Ambassador according to the scale on other razors, causing frustration.
I admit that I also found Ambassador a bit scary at first.

Indeed, just lower the settings and the Ambassador will show its good side; and love it more and more with longer use.

Everything you said is spot on truth! Thanks for sharing your experiences, i found the nacet to be a great pairing for the rex (its what i use in my fatboys) the derby extras are too mild for me but i havnt put one in the ambassador yet, maybe ill give one a shot and see what happens! I also had an exceptional shave with a gillette 7oclock black wrapper, it was what i had lying about so i threw it in on my first shave and boy was it nice.. i really like the 7oclocks they all shave really nicely. Yellow green and black!
I used my Rex for the first time this morning, along with the Orange Label Derby Extras. I was pleasantly surprised to obtain an almost BBS shave with such a lowly blade. I can finally use up my stash of Derby's for good results and some cost savings also. Of course I will throw in some high quality blades from time to time, just to keep it interesting. Hail to the Rex, what a great razor!

You ahould try the iridium super! I dind it to be the beat combo!

When people use Gillette fatboy/slim / Rockwell 6s/ Merkur Progress...etc other adjustable razors, they usually start to try middle scale like 3 or 4.

And the Rex Ambassador offers a wider range of aggression options (adding some high aggression range) which is well-intentioned, but people unknowingly get used to using the Ambassador according to the scale on other razors, causing frustration.
I admit that I also found Ambassador a bit scary at first.

Indeed, just lower the settings and the Ambassador will show its good side; and love it more and more with longer use.
Been bouncing around with the settings on my T2 Rex Ambassador and agree with you. More comfortable at the lower settings. At setting 4, I was getting an almost R41 level shave, but then I got a bite all of a sudden. It was a long lasting BBS however, almost the same shave is available at lower settings. I have been doing 3, 2, and then 1.5 for final. All I can say is that nice shaves are available with the Rex, and it has taken first place in the rotation group. (What rotation group is left, that is!)

I finally got around to getting my first shave with the Rex Ambassador i threw a black super stainless 7 oclock blade i had layin around and i was very pleasantly surprised. This razor is very heavy in the hand (which i love)it knocks down hair easy cause of this. The nice short bulldog handle is my style and no chance of it slipping out of your hand due to the machining. Wow this was a nice shave, a 300$ shave? Well lets just say the razor performed great held the blade firm and square with very little play and my gaps were on point. I like the 3 piece design for simple loading disassembly cleaning and drying. My hats off to RE for this beast razor , the build quality is top notch. I shaved only 2 passes wtg and cross and got a very nice acceptable and comfortable shave setting on 2.5 so theres much more room to adjust! Im near bbs a little stubble here or there which i could have taken more time and slowed down and i have no doubt i can get a perfect shave with this beast of steel. Id love to know if anybody picked one of these up and their experiences so far! Now will it replace my fatboy? No, not a chance, i love gillette and i love how the fatboys were built with all those parts and pieces mating into one marvelous creation! Anyone have suggestions on a new age adjustable razor that they absolutely love?
I thought this was a two piece razor. Is this one broken?

Top Bottom