What's new

Rex Ambassador Adjustable Razor - First Time Experience

I recently acquired the Rex Ambassador from a member on this site a couple of weeks back. It is an adjustable saftey razor that has a dial from 1 to 6.
I finally got the chance to use it last night for the very first time. All I can say is... WOW !!!

My shave was a 3-day growth on cheeks and neck.

I set the Ambassador dial setting to 3, which matches my dial setting on the Mercur Futur.
I used an Astra blade.
Preshave was Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol
Shave Cream was Taylor of Old Bond Jyrman Street sample size - first time using this which lathers up nicely. I may have needed a bit more cream - but the lather was good enough to get the shave done
Silver badger Brush with Mr. Fine Shaving Bowl used

I really liked the shave with this razor which gave me a BBS shave. The shave felt smooth compared to the Futur. I had to shave over the areas again as I was not feeling the blade as agressive as I do with the Futur set on 3. I must like aggressive shaves since I never really dialed it down on the Futur. But I will need to do some experimenting on dialing it down on the neck area when it comes to the Futur.

With the Ambassador, in the neck area, I felt that the 3 setting was only "good enough" which got the job done. But I am so used to feeling more blade when shaving the neck area. For my next shave, I will push the setting up to 4 or maybe even 5. With the Futur, the 3 setting is fine for the cheek area. I never felt the need to go any further than that. But with the neck area, I will need to dial it down as my shaving tendency is to try to get the neck area BBS. But after 10 years, I refuse to believe that a neck-line BBS may not be possible no matter how hard I try.

This razor could very well unseat my Futur, but I do want to give it a head-to-head competition before I come to that conclusion.

Should that become the reality, I made a promise to myself to tempt @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker to up his credit card limit so high that he could purchase not only a Merkur Futur, but also to purchase so many more creams and soaps, that he will need to mortgage his house to satisfy his shaving nirvana.

Selling my Merkur Futur to him will become my endgame. :)

Last edited:
As much as the Futur is loved by many, it doesn’t hold the blade as rigidly as the Ambassador. This, I have found, is the difference between a close shave on the neck and self mutilation.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I recently acquired the Rex Ambassador from a member on this site a couple of weeks back. It is an adjustable saftey razor that has a dial from 1 to 6.
I finally got the chance to use it last night for the very first time. All I can say is... WOW !!!

My shave was a 3-day growth on cheeks and neck.

I set the Ambassador dial setting to 3, which matches my dial setting on the Mercur Futur.
I used an Astra blade.
Preshave was Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol
Shave Cream was Taylor of Old Bond Jyrman Street sample size - first time using this which lathers up nicely. I may have needed a bit more cream - but the lather was good enough to get the shave done
Silver badger Brush with Mr. Fine Shaving Bowl used

I really liked the shave with this razor which gave me a BBS shave. The shave felt smooth compared to the Futur. I had to shave over the areas again as I was not feeling the blade as agressive as I do with the Futur set on 3. I must like aggressive shaves since I never really dialed it down on the Futur. But I will need to do some experimenting on dialing it down on the neck area when it comes to the Futur.

With the Ambassador, in the neck area, I felt that the 3 setting was only "good enough" which got the job done. But I am so used to feeling more blade when shaving the neck area. For my next shave, I will push the setting up to 4 or maybe even 5. With the Futur, the 3 setting is fine for the cheek area. I never felt the need to go any further than that. But with the neck area, I will need to dial it down as my shaving tendency is to try to get the neck area BBS. But after 10 years, I refuse to believe that a neck-line BBS may not be possible no matter how hard I try.

This razor could very well unseat my Futur, but I do want to give it a head-to-head competition before I come to that conclusion.

Should that become the reality, I made a promise to myself to tempt @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker to up his credit card limit so high that he could purchase not only a Merkur Futur, but also to purchase so many more creams and soaps, that he will need to mortgage his house to satisfy his shaving nirvana.

Selling my Merkur Futur to him will become my endgame. :)

I really thank you for mentioning me, as it insured that I was able to see this post quicker then I would have, if I had to hunt it down in a long list of threads. I can't tell you how pleased I am that you love your Rex Ambassador after the first shave with it. Now you know what I been saying the whole time ha? Smooth shave right? Exactly! There is just something about the Rex Ambassador that just makes you enjoy life.

I shaved with my Rex Ambassador today infact, 80% BBS, remaining 20% DFS. And guess where the DFS always is? Thats right, the neck. You are so right, its hard as heck to try to get the neck totally BBS. It technically can be done, but you have to do everything 100% right, and you have to be 100% careful doing it, or risk knicks, weepers, or capillary bleeding of the unwanted. This was an excellent first take on your Ambassador.

I hope that you continue to use your Ambassador for many more shaves, and continue to report in on them.. And please, don't forget the pictures, I love pictures. 😍

I hope that you continue to use your Ambassador for many more shaves, and continue to report in on them.. And please, don't forget the pictures, I love pictures. 😍

Oh I will for sure !!! Glad to have an Ambassador Commrade here with me.

Note I still have to check out another acquizition purchase which is the T2 Razor which will be sometime soon, if not next.
Next shaving day will be Friday or Saturday.

Top Bottom