What's new

'Reviving' Cigars

Morning Gents,

In a moment of unforgiveable memory-lapse, I purchased a box of very large, very tasty Dominican Cohibas, 50 in all. I put them in my humidor with a humidifier (only a cheap setup) and promptly forgot about them!

Whilst tidying up yesterday I realised that these (not so little) beauties have been without air or moisture for over a year, and the hygrometer in the humidor seems to have given up the ghost (it refused to budge from 50% no matter where I put it :confused1)

So here's my question: given they demonstrate little shrinkage, some with minimal cracking at the ends, and they still have a good aroma and feel - can they be saved?

I've topped up my humidifier and I'm popping out at some point to buy a new hygrometer, but should I be adding more humidity at this stage, or introduce it slowly? Warm or cold location for the box etc etc...

Any hints? I'd really kick myself if the whole box is a write-off :bored:

Here's a couple of pics:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cheers,
Chris

If you're going to attempt to reintroduce moisture to those sticks, do it gradually. Just based on the stick you have pictured, I wouldn't worry about the bulk of them. I had a batch like that, that were stored dry for about a year, and a couple of months down the road smoked as well as I would have imagined them to smoke if they had been stored at the proper humidity the whole time.

Just my non-expert opinion. If you find that they won't burn properly and plan on throwing them out, I'll gladly take them off your hands. :biggrin:

I agree, go slowly. If you try to increase the humidity quickly, the tobacco will swell and you run the risk of cracking the wrappers.

Hehe, thanks chaps!

I really need to pick up a decent hygrometer, as without it I'm flying blind.

And I feel that now is a good time to point out you seem to forget just how much we get ripped off over here in the UK for cigars - A single Cohiba this size would be well in excess of £16 here! ($24 ish). That said, they are cuban :biggrin:

The idea is to get these little 'uns all smoked by next July, when I head out to Tampa Bay and can once again stock up the humidor from every smokers dream location, Ybor City :D

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Smoke one now and see how they are. I know that living in the UK your humidity is pretty high year round so it may not be a total loss. If you find that they need more moisture like Rob said do it slowly, the reason your not getting over 50% is probably because the humidor needs reseasoned, the wood us just sucking up all the moisture you put into it.

the reason your not getting over 50% is probably because the humidor needs reseasoned, the wood us just sucking up all the moisture you put into it.

Good point - hadn't thought of that.

From the photo it doesn't look too bad. 50% isn't too bad. I always felt 63-65% was ideal.
Squeeze one near the middle. Is it still "springy", or does it crunch?
If it's crunchy, I agree that you should try to re-introduce moisture slowly over time or they will split.

There is no substitute for smoking one to determine the condition. Give it a go.

To be honest, those do not look that bad...How do they sound when you "squeeze " them? All cracking noises, like walking in a forest covered with dried leaves? (what an image, eh?) It is difficult to explain sensations over the internet and I do not speak a perfect English, but according to that pic...smoke one and then tell us!

But in any event, try to re-introduce the humidity gradually..one more things, any little holes in any of the cigars?

Regards

Squeezing in the middle does crackle a bit..

Probably won't get to smoke one for at least a week - the weather heare in england is terrible and my other half hates the smell of cigar smoke in the house! Oddly enough she loves the smell of cigars being smoked, just not the smell of it in the lounge :tongue_sm

And no, the cigars are thankfully beetle free :)

A little crackle when you squeeze in the middle is not such a bad thing. Judging by the picture they actually look very good. Now that I've wiped the drool off my keyboard, I'll continue to add what's already been said. Keep them in a properly set humidor and when you're ready to have one next week, it should be fine. Now when the wrapper is totally peeling off, that's not so good. They can still be saved, but it would just take longer. Dry leaves will still absorb moisture, but it must be done gradually.

Smoke one now and see how they are. I know that living in the UK your humidity is pretty high year round so it may not be a total loss. .

+1

And I wouldn't be so quick to worry about your hygrometer, as they can be confusing. The humidity displayed is relative to the temperature of the room, and, in my case, the room in which my humidor sits is warmer in summer than in winter. I just go by feel. When the cigars feel right, I know my hydration is right. Too wet, and I'll partially cover my hydration. If I went solely by my hygrometer reading I'd be constantly fussing for no real purpose.

It also helps to keep your humidor full of cigars, as they will help to moderate the environment in your humidor

If you wouild like an independant assessment you can ship some to me and I will give you an honest opinion as to whether you have revivied them. To get the most accurate opinion you should ship me several and include expensive cigars for comparisions puropses.
Disclaimer-The only experience I have is as a smoker of cheap cigars as often as I can get them.:lol:

Are those dominican Cohibas? I swear I see some black and yellow on that label. :)

They are indeed - I prefer the Cuban, but they cost a leeeetle more....

If you wouild like an independant assessment you can ship some to me and I will give you an honest opinion as to whether you have revivied them. To get the most accurate opinion you should ship me several and include expensive cigars for comparisions puropses.
Disclaimer-The only experience I have is as a smoker of cheap cigars as often as I can get them.

I think I'll risk it, but thanks for the offer :biggrin:

Last edited:
Managed to get the humidity up by 10% over the last week, hopefully that's not too quick.

I haven't tested the cigars for cracking yet, will have to check tomorrow and see how they are! Still haven't had a chance to smoke one - UK smoking laws prohibit me from enjoying a cigar without standing in the rain somewhere. (Smoking is now banned in all public indoor areas and any outdoor areas that are used extensively, such as railway station platforms).

Managed to get the humidity up by 10% over the last week, hopefully that's not too quick.

I haven't tested the cigars for cracking yet, will have to check tomorrow and see how they are! Still haven't had a chance to smoke one - UK smoking laws prohibit me from enjoying a cigar without standing in the rain somewhere. (Smoking is now banned in all public indoor areas and any outdoor areas that are used extensively, such as railway station platforms).

Don't worry, we're right behind you! I read of some silly legislation calls today that want to ban tobacco from the homes of anyone who is a parent of a child under 18. Not only ban smoking in the home, but ban possession of tobacco in the house. Strange world we live in. :rolleyes:

Let us know how they smoke when you get around to it.

There were some interesting stats published here in the UK - the smoking ban actually took smokers who used to only smoke in pubs, and moved them into their own homes, often with children present. So in one foul swoop the government ruined the pub industry and increased the amount of second hand smoke that was likely round the home (now obviously that is down to the individual, but still...)

Grr

Rant over.

Top Bottom