What's new

Revisiting the shavette

I decided to try my shavette today. I've been using straights the last couple months so figured would try it out. Overall, I feel my straights are a lot better. The shavette i feel did a little better in the neck area though. I will stick to my straights.

The shavettes I used was a broken In half d e blade fink you’re razor has its own long professional blades iv heard ther not as keen as d e blade

I started with a shavette and payed my dues in blood and skin irritation. Moved on to straights and after about a year tried the half DE shavette again. With my technique settled it was honestly one of the best shaves ever. I was so impressed I bought a Feather SS and occasionally I use it for as long as the blade lasts in-between my normal SR rotation. Love it, but I always go back to my straights. Variety is the spice of life!

Side note: The Feather SS is a lot more forgiving than a half-DE shavette, but still gives an excellent shave. It just takes a bit of getting used to the attack angle.

Last edited:
I have five shavettes (all FAC) and heaps of traditional straights. I mostly use my shavettes just because of convenience, and since I work long hours.

Generally, a good traditional straight with a good edge is a little more comfortable, but of course they are a high maintenance item.

I have a Feather SS coming this week and thought I'd venture into the badlands.
Big fan of the FAC here, especially the kamisori style. If I ever venture back into the world of shavettes, it would be a FAC.
Traditional straights are just such a hassle and I always found them to be tuggy compared to a Feather.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I love my traditional straight razors and use them most often, however, I find shavettes to be excellent shavers. In fact I love my Parker SR1. Pretty easy to get 90% bbs on a single pass then just a little touch up to go all the way. I didn’t find a shavette to be the best first razor but others may. After I learned to use a straight razor, I gag no problem with the shavette. Also, they can’t be beat for travel.

I decided to try my shavette today. I've been using straights the last couple months so figured would try it out. Overall, I feel my straights are a lot better. The shavette i feel did a little better in the neck area though. I will stick to my straights.
What model did you try?

It's the cheap one, magic by master barber. I use shark ss blades. I could probably try for a better shavette at some point but like the straights better for now. I also dont mind the maintenance. Its kind of relaxing for me.

I have several straights and a Feather Artist Club SS. I prefer the Feather mostly due to its ease of use as a total package. Well, that and the shaves are at least as good.

Also, I feel that the Feather is a good training razor as you remove the blade maintenance variable and just concentrate on learning to shave with it. How many newbies screw up a good edge with a strop? I know I did. The Feather eliminates that issue, just rinse and store like a DE.

I have not yet tried a Feather shavette, but that is only a question of time. Of the ones I have tried I prefer Sedef and Parker because they hold the blade more firmly. You can clearly feel the blade vibrating less than with e.g. a Dovo or one a push-type shavette.

I have not yet tried a Feather shavette, but that is only a question of time. Of the ones I have tried I prefer Sedef and Parker because they hold the blade more firmly. You can clearly feel the blade vibrating less than with e.g. a Dovo or one a push-type shavette.

This is very true! That's why the clam type of blade mechanism is so much better.
The Universal full blade is great shavette.
You can get the same closeness and smoothness with a shavette as a well honed straight razor.
Most people who have problems are not used to such a sharp edge. Very few can hone to that level.
Not all blades are created equal - that's for sure, but with a decent blade it is comparable to the straight.

The Feather Artist Club blades in Feather shavettes and hair shaper blades in Weck Sextoblades are much thicker than DE blades in push type shavettes or thin Dovo long blades. Rock solid with no flex, vibration or chatter.

I went back to my Feather Artist Club folding DX and take it when I travel. Gives a great shave but I need to be very careful when using it after a long layoff.

Top Bottom