What's new

Revisiting the German Wilkinson Sword

Got this one in a local store at my country. Are these the same as sold in Germany?

Very nice blades by the way. I got 2 weeks of shaves so far and I am still using the blade.

Attachments

• IMG_20210405_081221.jpg
    IMG_20210405_081221.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 335
Are the blades in the white boxes labeled Wilkinson Sword?

I know that Personna ships some blades in white plastic boxes. It is my understanding that the blades formerly made by Personna Israel are now being made in Germany, presumably in the same plant making the Wilkinson Sword blades since the brands (along with Schick) are owned by Edgewell. I know that for some Edgewell products, the three brand names seem to be interchangeable depending upon where the product is marketed. I hope that is not the case with DE blades, however, as the Personna blade nomenclature is already confusing enough.

when I read about that before I presumed the Israeli plant was closed. But it seems the CVS brand and Walgreens brand are still made in Israel. Is there another manufacturer there, or perhaps these are old boxes?

when I read about that before I presumed the Israeli plant was closed. But it seems the CVS brand and Walgreens brand are still made in Israel. Is there another manufacturer there, or perhaps these are old boxes?

The Personna plant is Israel was still listed on the Edgewell web site until just a few months ago. However, it is no longer listed. Thus, it appears the plant is completely closed. However, there could be inventory of blades made in Israel scattered all over the planet. It may even be that the blades you found in your CVS and Walgreens may have been made in Israel, but packaged elsewhere.

My local Meijer store used to sell Israeli blades, but the only ones I have seen in the past six months have come from Germany. However, they seem to be similar in quality to the ones from Israel. I only tried one tuck, however, as store bought blades are more expensive than bulk purchases.

I know this is an older post, but several years ago I purchased these blades from a local retailer. Initially, I had significant problems with them; they were too dull and tugged uncomfortably in my Merkur 34. Someone had published a trick on one of the forums where each edge of the blade would be pulled through styrofoam a couple of times before first use. This effectively removes the polymer coating and makes them much sharper and more comfortable, of least in my case. I found them to be a very forgiving. They were much better than the Merkur Blades and had a similar feel to the Red Personnas, but were more durable.

I prefer the PolSilver and the Nacet, but the modified version of these are quite functional.

Top Bottom