What's new

Revisiting my Harry's cartridges

I started DE wet shaving just this past spring after using cartridges for over 40 years. Since my first DE shave with my King C Gillette razor, I've used only DE and SE razors. I've also gone hog wild buying vintage gear, and now have almost 200 vintage razors, a couple hundred vintage blades, and a couple vintage blade sharpening machines. My collection spans 1905 to 1985 and is pretty comprehensive. I don't have that many "mint" sets, and I've gotten about half a dozen of them replated by Back Roads Gold. I've also got about half a dozen new DE razors, but I gave my KCG razor to my eldest son. Because I went all in, I still have a few Harry's cartridges, Harry's shave gel, and Harry's balm and lotion that are gathering dust. Bottom line, I'm deeply committed to DE and SE shaving.

My Harry's stuff has been tapping me on the shoulder for a while now. Hey dude, remember us? So, with much trepidation last Thursday, I went back and used my Harry's razor with a brand new cartridge. To be fair, I used it with a shaving soap and brush rather than my canned Harry's shave gel. I actually worried that I was going to find out that Harry's razors really are great and that my shaves had gotten better simply because I was paying more attention and using better lather. Well, my Harry's razor did shave my whiskers, but nowhere near as close as I get with my old DE and SE gear. I didn't have a lot of irritation, but I would say it was only a decently close shave. By that evening, my beard was back. My DE shaves typically last all day long.

I was actually quite relieved. I now know that a DE shave or an SE shave is far better when done right than a Harry's shave. Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with these cartridges and gel :).

I'd love to hear about anyone else's experiences when going back to try a cartridge razor.

Funny, I kept my carts and canned gel around for travel, but I decided during our summer vacation that I didn't want to do that again, so I've been trying to use it up since we got back. I've been shaving Monday-Thursday with the carts, then Friday morning and Saturday afternoon with my DE so I have a proper shave for the weekend.

When I used to shave with carts, I just shaved like I saw on tv ads - 1 pass WTG. So I could probably do better knowing what I know now, but I don't really want to bother, so I've still just been shaving the 1 pass. So with that caveat, my cart shaves haven't been anywhere near as close as my DE shaves. In fact, I'd say my face feels about how I expect to feel about 18-24 hours after a DE shave. From the B&B standards, I'd call it a CCS-, as opposed to the DFS+/BBS- I get with my DE. Furthermore, I really dislike the cheap feel of the plastic cart on my face, something that never used to bother me when that was all I knew.

And then there's the canned gel. That stuff is just plain not slick. For example, when I shave along my jawline, I go from ear to chin, then pull up on my cheek and repeat to get my lower jawline. With a real soap or cream, I have to put a bit of alum on my fingertips, otherwise there's too much residual slickness and I can't hold my cheek up. Then there's the scent, which I can only describe as "chemical". I'm sooooo happy to be almost out of the stuff. I think. It feels like there can't be more than a few shaves left in the can, though it's felt like that for like 3 weeks. The stuff never hung on this long when I wanted it to last, but now that I want it empty it refuses to die! I know I should just bin it, but I've come this far, I feel like I need to see it out, lol!

Anyway, it's hard to believe that this once passed as an acceptable shave. I can't wait to get back to my regular gear full-time!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I shaved last week in the shower with a Bic Metal. It's a single blade, disposable razor.

I was running late. It did an acceptable job. My only real complaint is that it doesn't pivot like any self respecting disposable razor should!

That's my only real gripe about DE shaving: no pivot! I actually have to THINK when I shave if I want a good shave!

When I used to shave in the shower with disposables I was free to let my mind focus on more important matters, like solving werld hunger and how I could next irritate @fast shaver !

I started DE wet shaving just this past spring after using cartridges for over 40 years. Since my first DE shave with my King C Gillette razor, I've used only DE and SE razors. I've also gone hog wild buying vintage gear, and now have almost 200 vintage razors, a couple hundred vintage blades, and a couple vintage blade sharpening machines. My collection spans 1905 to 1985 and is pretty comprehensive. I don't have that many "mint" sets, and I've gotten about half a dozen of them replated by Back Roads Gold. I've also got about half a dozen new DE razors, but I gave my KCG razor to my eldest son. Because I went all in, I still have a few Harry's cartridges, Harry's shave gel, and Harry's balm and lotion that are gathering dust. Bottom line, I'm deeply committed to DE and SE shaving.

My Harry's stuff has been tapping me on the shoulder for a while now. Hey dude, remember us? So, with much trepidation last Thursday, I went back and used my Harry's razor with a brand new cartridge. To be fair, I used it with a shaving soap and brush rather than my canned Harry's shave gel. I actually worried that I was going to find out that Harry's razors really are great and that my shaves had gotten better simply because I was paying more attention and using better lather. Well, my Harry's razor did shave my whiskers, but nowhere near as close as I get with my old DE and SE gear. I didn't have a lot of irritation, but I would say it was only a decently close shave. By that evening, my beard was back. My DE shaves typically last all day long.

I was actually quite relieved. I now know that a DE shave or an SE shave is far better when done right than a Harry's shave. Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with these cartridges and gel :).

I'd love to hear about anyone else's experiences when going back to try a cartridge razor.
Funny I recently gave my Harry’s equipment to my wife. I gave 4 new cartridges and a handle in OD green lol.

I’d think my gillette DE blades are way better shaves.

Same for me: I use a Hydro 5 if traveling and not checking bags. They work pretty well except for the ingrown hairs and clogging...

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Same for me: I use a Hydro 5 if traveling and not checking bags. They work pretty well except for the ingrown hairs and clogging...
The clogging! Booooo!!! I had forgotten about that aspect of carts. As I was reading this thread I was considering rummaging through "the drawer" to see if I could scare something up. Thanks to @StewB I'll just live vicariously from other brave members and take a hard pass.

Yep, I hate the clogging...the clogging is actually one of the main reasons I switched to DE shaving in the first place...

Clogging? Can't you just rinse your cart razors under hot water every few passes? I recently wrote about my Mach3 experience and didn't have any issues with that. There were other issues but turning the faucet on for a rinse kept things clean.

Clogging? Can't you just rinse your cart razors under hot water every few passes? I recently wrote about my Mach3 experience and didn't have any issues with that. There were other issues but turning the faucet on for a rinse kept things clean.
Wow, it never occurred to me to try rinsing the cartridge head under water to unclog it... ;)

To answer the question, yes I rinse it, and no that doesn't unclog it.

I can get a perfectly acceptable shave with almost any cart. Notable exception being the absolute cheapest disposable from the euro shop.

The shaves I get now from carts are much better than when I only used carts. My opinion is after using DE and straights I now know how to shave.

I think I'll stick to my straights though.

Even when I was regularly shaving with cartridges, I never thought the Harry's system was very good.

Since I am a regular air traveler who does not care to check luggage, I still use cartridges fairly frequently. I was fortunate to never suffer from ingrown hairs or didn't seem to have issues with clogging too much. I get excellent results with several different cartridges, but they just don't feel as good as a DE blade during the shave itself. Bought a batch of 12 Fusion5 blades on Prime day and they work well.

Even when I was regularly shaving with cartridges, I never thought the Harry's system was very good.

Since I am a regular air traveler who does not care to check luggage, I still use cartridges fairly frequently. I was fortunate to never suffer from ingrown hairs or didn't seem to have issues with clogging too much. I get excellent results with several different cartridges, but they just don't feel as good as a DE blade during the shave itself. Bought a batch of 12 Fusion5 blades on Prime day and they work well.
I recently discovered these disposable KAI single edge razors that I bought from Connaught. They work pretty decently and feel more like an injector than a cartridge. They would work in carry on luggage. Here's a link on the shave.
PXL_20221018_130601464.jpg

I have found that the carts with three blades rinse much easier than four or five. I'm thinking when you try to cram more than two or three blades into a cart it reduces the space between the blades which makes the cart harder to rinse. That has been my experience.

The other problem for me when when using carts is that I don't shave every day, so more bulk is being removed with each pass, which again tends to clog the cart.

My DE razor has never clogged under any circumstance.

I definitely agree with this. (DE at least, I haven’t taken up straights.) I no longer have a cartridge razor but if for some reason I ever have to use one again, I’m confident I could get a much better shave than I used to.
I think a lot of hate for carts is because people don't know how to shave. Moving to more traditional methods (straight, SE and DE) forces you to learn or pay a blood sacrifice. When the knowledge is applied to a cart, the shaves usually are better than you remember.

Wow, it never occurred to me to try rinsing the cartridge head under water to unclog it... ;)

To answer the question, yes I rinse it, and no that doesn't unclog it.
So you shave with non-water soluble shaving product? Swishing in a basin of water is not the same thing as running it under a hot faucet. Rinsing razors in basin water is a poor choice whether DE, straight, or cart.

Top Bottom