What's new

revisiting form

Lately I have hit one of those shave plateaus where the shaves are good, but I've been left feeling that they could/should be a little bit better. This is, I'm sure, partly due to the fact that I've had no consistency or routine in product use for the last month. I've been skipping around from razor to razor and cream to soap to cream. What I realized yesterday morning, however, was that over time, I've allowed myself to begin putting some unnecessary pressure on the razor. Once realized, I felt dumb enough about it as this is one of those things that I am more than eager to offer up to any newbie who has shared their problems. The good part of the story is, my shaves are back on track.

To anyone sitting on one of these shave plateaus, don't be too proud to re-examine your technique/form and see if you haven't allowed a bad habit or two to develop.

Kyle,

Could you elaborate some on what you were doing wrong and how you fixed it?

B/c as a "newbie" I find myself all over the place. Trying new stuff and having great shaves and really bad ones (like yesterday & today). I am still trying to learn the basics from scratch.

Thanks,

Tito

Kyle said:
I've had no consistency or routine in product use for the last month. I've been skipping around from razor to razor and cream to soap to cream.

I have found myself doing this as well. This is especially bad for me because I have only been DE shaving for about 3 months. I have recently decided that I am going to use only 1 combination (razor and cream or soap) per week. This will at least allow me some variety in the aftershave department. Hopefully this will improve my technique and it will not take me long to adjust to different razors in the future.

In regards to using many different products, I didn't mean to imply that this is always bad. I've been experimenting with some of the less mainstream products and this has caused the occasional bad shave that takes a day to recover from. Jim, if you can stick to a single lather product a week, then you are a strong man. I would pick 2 or 3 that I knew to be good and rotate them during the week.

In regards to technique, my best shaves come from using VERY LITTLE pressure, mostly allowing the weight of the razor to provide the pressure. Lately, I had allowed myself to carelessly begin pressing down on the razor. It was nothing drastic, but just enough to cause some minor irritation. Fixing the problem required nothing more than paying a little bit closer attention to what I was doing.

Kyle said:
Lately I have hit one of those shave plateaus where the shaves are good, but I've been left feeling that they could/should be a little bit better. This is, I'm sure, partly due to the fact that I've had no consistency or routine in product use for the last month. I've been skipping around from razor to razor and cream to soap to cream. What I realized yesterday morning, however, was that over time, I've allowed myself to begin putting some unnecessary pressure on the razor. Once realized, I felt dumb enough about it as this is one of those things that I am more than eager to offer up to any newbie who has shared their problems. The good part of the story is, my shaves are back on track.

To anyone sitting on one of these shave plateaus, don't be too proud to re-examine your technique/form and see if you haven't allowed a bad habit or two to develop.

Kyle,

You've thrown down the gauntlet, so now I'm calling you out. Your challenge? For one week, one razor, one soap or cream, one blade. You believe you have hit a plateau, or wall, so to speak. Well, I suggest otherwise. Use the same tools for one week. At the end of the week, answer three questions. First, is the shave better than it was a week ago? Second, is the entire process as enjoyable as it was two weeks ago? Third, which is more important?

I know that I have days when I could have a "better" shave. But at what cost?

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
You've thrown down the gauntlet, so now I'm calling you out. Your challenge? For one week, one razor, one soap or cream, one blade. You believe you have hit a plateau, or wall, so to speak. Well, I suggest otherwise. Use the same tools for one week. At the end of the week, answer three questions. First, is the shave better than it was a week ago? Second, is the entire process as enjoyable as it was two weeks ago? Third, which is more important?

Should we extent this challenge to others, myself included?

letterk said:
Should we extent this challenge to others, myself included?

Absolutely. Take a week, two, three, a month. Shave with the same tools. You'll learn those items inside out! But, will the shave be as enjoyable? If I need that "perfect shave", I have certain tools I turn to. But, the enjoyment to me is using the different items. Is the shave always as good? No, but I don't care. As long as it looks good, and I'm happy with it, I've got no complaints.

Randy

Actually, I am currently in the process of doing exactly this( except for the soap/cream). I am currently using the Merkur Vision with Derby blades-received my sampler pack and want to find out which blade is best for my face. Details on the shaves to follow(first week so far).

Marty

Unless I toss in a straight razor, I only load one DE a week with a blade. I then use it all week, and regardless of how many times I use a straight, it gets replaced on Sunday. I have no desire to use the same tools for an extended period. From time to time, I will do so if I am evaluating an item. But otherwise, I want variety!

Randy

Kyle said:
In regards to using many different products, I didn't mean to imply that this is always bad. I've been experimenting with some of the less mainstream products and this has caused the occasional bad shave that takes a day to recover from. Jim, if you can stick to a single lather product a week, then you are a strong man. I would pick 2 or 3 that I knew to be good and rotate them during the week.

I realized after submitting that last post how difficult it would be to just use one cream or soap. I do not think it will be that hard to stick with one razor.
But, for the sake of the challenge, beginning next Monday I will try to use the same setup from start to finish for the entire week.

I used Edge Gel for 15 years or more, everyday! :sad: Since beginning DE shaving again, nearly a year ago, I haven't used the same cream or soap two days in a row! :biggrin: All I was looking for when I began this journey was an el cheapo shaving brush, a green rubber shaving mug and some warm lather. Several hundred dollars later I'm still looking for shaving brushes, mugs and warm [fragrant] lather...who knew there would be so many to buy and try? :ohmy:

I have finally come to the point of being able to shave for an entire week with the same DE if I really discipline myself. :thumbup: I feel like Randy though, I want variety and as long as I'm happy with the shave, that's really all that matters! Like others, I endured shaving for years, so now I'm going to enjoy it while I can. Oh...I just remembered I need to go try out my new Castle Forbes Lavender cream...or will it be a Taylor Rose day...no, it's feelin' more like a KMF Patchouli day! :biggrin:

Randy,
Let me think about it. It doesn't sound even remotely pleasant, but I will consider it. I'll let you know something by Sunday.

I can't possibly do it, I'd end up having to move my shaving gear between addresses. I live in central london during the week and Kent at the weekend!

Kyle said:
Randy,
Let me think about it. It doesn't sound even remotely pleasant, but I will consider it. I'll let you know something by Sunday.

I wouldn't say it "doesn't sound pleasant". Look at your SOTD today. The perfect commitment for Proraso for a week. I think that is "doesn't sound fun"! I think this is just another way of looking at the shave.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Absolutely. Take a week, two, three, a month. Shave with the same tools. You'll learn those items inside out! But, will the shave be as enjoyable? If I need that "perfect shave", I have certain tools I turn to. But, the enjoyment to me is using the different items. Is the shave always as good? No, but I don't care. As long as it looks good, and I'm happy with it, I've got no complaints.

Randy

My position exactly--variety is the Old Spice of life!

Hmmm, my shaves stunk this week! No consistency... different blade every day... different creams... different settings on my future. I know its my fault, in fact I'm probably going to have to go to work tomorrow /w out a shave b/c of my indulgent shaving practices. :bored: I should know better, milder blade and less ambitious shaves for awhile.

-Brandon

Jim Thompson said:
I realized after submitting that last post how difficult it would be to just use one cream or soap. I do not think it will be that hard to stick with one razor.
But, for the sake of the challenge, beginning next Monday I will try to use the same setup from start to finish for the entire week.

:blush: I have an update on my attempt to use just one setup fpr the entire week.
I only made it 2 days before changing everything:bored:. I guess variety is the spice of life.

No doubt. I'd rather suffer a questionable shave now and again than give up the variety.

I kind of agree - but I think for a newbie, some consistency can be a very good thing at times. It is awfully hard to concentrate on learning good technique using a different cream, razor, and blade every day. Right now, using just one razor and blade and just a few similar creams (I couldn't pick just one either) is helping a lot. (I may switch blades though - the merkurs really tug a lot on my beard, no matter how much I work on softening).

moses said:
I kind of agree - but I think for a newbie, some consistency can be a very good thing at times. It is awfully hard to concentrate on learning good technique using a different cream, razor, and blade every day. Right now, using just one razor and blade and just a few similar creams (I couldn't pick just one either) is helping a lot. (I may switch blades though - the merkurs really tug a lot on my beard, no matter how much I work on softening).
Very true, Moses. I definitely think that a single razor is advisable for a gent who is just learning this mad science.

Top Bottom