What's new

Revisiting an Old Friend - Mike Natural Soaps

Mike's was a good a soap. I say "was" because, simply put, every time in the past few years I've ever thought to visit his site to buy something, at least one thing I want is out of stock. Every. Time. Checking today, I see now that's he's more or less given up on bath soaps, as all but one are missing completely from the site.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Clearly he's downsized considerably. Someone told me he is a one man shop and back in the day was going to college and doing the soap thing on his spare time. It seems as though that's still the case. Although by now maybe a full time job. I remember back in the day seeing a whole bunch more soaps available. In my opinion it's the definition of hobbyist. I'm OK with a minimal variety and waiting for batches to be made.

Clearly he's downsized considerably. Someone told me he is a one man shop and back in the day was going to college and doing the soap thing on his spare time. It seems as though that's still the case. Although by now maybe a full time job. I remember back in the day seeing a whole bunch more soaps available. In my opinion it's the definition of hobbyist. I'm OK with a minimal variety and waiting for batches to be made.

I don't mind waiting on his soaps. For me, they are worth the wait. Have yet to find a better soap out there.

It's good to see Mike's being talked about more. His soaps have been around a long time and still up there with the best of all the newer artisans IMO. If I could have soap from only 1 maker, Mike's would be it. YMMV

A tin of Lily of the Valley was the first proper shaving soap I used from start to finish. The smell was not my favorite, a little too sweet, but what am I going to do when it's such a stellar shave soap? Gotta use it up!

Thankfully I've got a tin of Barbershop that I've been sitting on for about two years ready to go, I think this thread has motivated me to start using it.. Once the DRH Marlborough is finished..

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Mike's was a good a soap. I say "was" because, simply put, every time in the past few years I've ever thought to visit his site to buy something, at least one thing I want is out of stock. Every. Time. Checking today, I see now that's he's more or less given up on bath soaps, as all but one are missing completely from the site.

I don't know Mike or ever communicate with him but I also understand he is a one man shop. He moved to Michigan a few years ago to concentrate on his education (Masters? PhD?). Mike's soaps have always been "hit or miss" availability wise but I don't think it's gotten any worse. It does look like he is downsizing his offerings though. Maybe to concentrate more on the shave soaps? Probably his best seller.

I have no idea what his current situation is. Whatever is happening, I hope he continues to make shave soaps for a loong time

Last edited:
His soaps are now available at Maggard's, where stock is usually better than his homepage. Still, they sellout fast. Pine & Cedarwood and Lime are in stock now.

I've tried dozens of artisan soaps over the years. Very few can match Mike's. None are better.

Mike's is one of my favorites. His barbershop was the first artisan soap I tried. Great soap, and very forgiving when lathering. I've tried everything from nearly dry to soaking wet, bloomed, not bloomed, etc, and can always get a good lather from it. I'm working on a tin of the Hungarian Lavender now.

Couldn't agree more. I need to get back to mikes one day. Rose and cedar wood was fantastic.

I purchased this scent recently and was very disappoint in the scent (and the scent only).

In your opinion, does it smell like something that you would typically find in a refrigerator? When I first smelled it, the very first thing I thought of was * *** ** *******. I shaved with it, aired it out, let it dry and I still only smell this one thing. I can't get over it.

Go smell! Can you get what I'm thinking of?

I purchased this scent recently and was very disappoint in the scent (and the scent only).

In your opinion, does it smell like something that you would typically find in a refrigerator? When I first smelled it, the very first thing I thought of was * *** ** *******. I shaved with it, aired it out, let it dry and I still only smell this one thing. I can't get over it.

Go smell! Can you get what I'm thinking of?

Not at all. I 3017 a tin of Mikes rose. It was outstanding in every way from start to finish.

What makes Mike's so good imo is that it excels in all areas: It is easy to lather, is slick and protective, has good after feel, and the scents are pleasingly straightforward. On top of that, it's a good value.

The availability thing doesn't bother me. I get Facebook alerts when he has a new batch ready and I order if I need some.

My Rose and Cedar smells, to me, like a jar of pickles. The lather is extraordinary though.

Im going to try to trade it for another Mike's scent or just buy another.

2 quarts deep into a 12 year old bottle of scotch and I wouldn't confuse rose and cedar with a pickle. Just sayin.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
2 quarts deep into a 12 year old bottle of scotch and I wouldn't confuse rose and cedar with a pickle. Just sayin.
Now that's funny!!
Maybe cuz I can relate to lots of scotch and confusion!

OK, you guys are scaring me . . . I guess I'd better spring for another tin of Hungarian Lavender just in case Mike is moving on and losing interest . . .

Top Bottom