What's new

Reviews Of 8 Different DE Blades

Thanks to @Pippirull for his generous PIF that I won.! I used the same Ozark Mountain shave soap & the same Gillette Tech for each shave to cut down on variables. So, here we go in no special order of the Blades.
7 O'clock Sharp Edge: It was scratchy for me but, gave me a DFS with my medium beard. Not a bad blade at all.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel: It was a little scratchy but, gave me a nice smooth DFS.
Rapira Super Stainless: This blade felt smoother to me & resulted in another DFS.
Sputnnik: Very sharp & smooth resulting in a DFS.
Mystery Blade: Scratchy as heck & not smooth but, gave me a good shave after about 4 passes. @Pippirull said it was a Derby blade with the blade markings removed. My beard started to grow back in about 5 hours. Probably a good beginner blade.
Rapira Stainless Steel: Sharp & smooth resulting in a DFS.
Ladas Blade: Very sharp & smooth resulting in very little neck irritation. I was surprised by this blade & got a DFS from it.
Astra SP Blade: It was scratchy but, still gave me a DFS.
Rubie Blade: Wow, Real sharp & smooth & it really impressed me.! A DFS. Very slight neck irritation with the Rubie Blade.
Voskhod Blade: Another Wow. It was sharp & smooth as the Rubie Blade. Another DFS.! I only got very slight neck irritation from the Voskhod blade as well.
I promised @Pippirull I would do a review on these Blades. The amazing thing is that I did not get one nick from any of these blades at all. I guess Stirling Ozark Mountain is a very nice soap offering cushion & plenty of slickness.

Nice review although I have only ever tried the Astra sp out of the ones you mention. I did try a Gillette of some sort once and it was pretty harsh. A good shave soap is what matters more than anything. I have had a couple of really bad shaves experimenting with a couple of razorock offerings and started to wonder if I had a bad blade or after 25 yrs my form had gotten bad. I whipped up some proraso and all was right in the world of shaving again.

I am surprised that the SP gave you trouble though. Most everyone can navigate that blade pretty well but it's not for all I guess.

Thank you @fast shaver for your reviews, it was my pleasure to share some blades.
I do agree with you in one way or another in most of your reviews. I'm a bit surprised tho about the Astras. They are my absolute favorite of all, but YMMV :)
My personal top three is Astra SP, Gillette 7oc yellow and Ladas.
But imo none of those blades are bad, I could use any of them for a long time without feeling bad.
Interesting with the mystery blade. I decided to mask a Derby and see your impression, if the bad impressions about derby is based partly on preconceived opinions or if it's genuine. Now your impression seems to match those most people have about derby.
Thank you again for the results!

Thank you @fast shaver for your reviews, it was my pleasure to share some blades.
I do agree with you in one way or another in most of your reviews. I'm a bit surprised tho about the Astras. They are my absolute favorite of all, but YMMV :)
My personal top three is Astra SP, Gillette 7oc yellow and Ladas.
But imo none of those blades are bad, I could use any of them for a long time without feeling bad.
Interesting with the mystery blade. I decided to mask a Derby and see your impression, if the bad impressions about derby is based partly on preconceived opinions or if it's genuine. Now your impression seems to match those most people have about derby.
Thank you again for the results!
I gotta ask how you disguised the derby blades? I also agree that derbys have always been bad to put it mildly to my face. I'm amazed at the hate dorco 300 gets on here yet the girl at Sally's told me they couldn't give derbys away after they started selling dorcos.

I gotta ask how you disguised the derby blades? I also agree that derbys have always been bad to put it mildly to my face. I'm amazed at the hate dorco 300 gets on here yet the girl at Sally's told me they couldn't give derbys away after they started selling dorcos.
I masked them by carefully grind the printed name away with fine sandpaper. Of course never touching the edge. I'll post a picture of before and after grinding.
20170406_194338.jpg
20170406_194842.jpg

I've tried several of those blades and for the most part agree with your review. Sputnik and Ladas were both a huge surprise for me, and Astra SP are a bit rough on me too. I'm a huge fan of Russian blades, but I definitely give the edge to St Pete's over Moscow.

I am going to put the Ladas Blade to the test & see how many shaves I can get from it. So far its got 3 nice smooth shaves on it with no sign of the Ladas blade getting dull.

Top Bottom