What's new

REVIEW: Yates Precision 921-M razor and Spaceman Leather cases

This is a great thread - thank you. I’m very interested in this razor, as I like mild and efficient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nav

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Heard good things about this razor. Your thoughtful, detailed review confirms them. Putting this one on my list.

Thanks for posting.

This is a great thread - thank you. I’m very interested in this razor, as I like mild and efficient
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard good things about this razor. Your thoughtful, detailed review confirms them. Putting this one on my list.
Thanks for posting.

What a fine review! I now have another razor to save up for.

Thanks guys!

The Yates is definitely worthy of your consideration! Wonderful razor with a unique stonewash finish.

They also offer the H plate should you require more efficiency.

Thanks guys!
The Yates is definitely worthy of your consideration! Wonderful razor with a unique stonewash finish.
They also offer the H plate should you require more efficiency.

Thanks for the review!
Very nice razor. Which razor would you compare it to? I like mild razors: Merkur 42C, EJ 89, Rockwell on plate 3 and Game Changer 68.

Thanks for the review!
Very nice razor. Which razor would you compare it to? I like mild razors: Merkur 42C, EJ 89, Rockwell on plate 3 and Game Changer 68.

I find the M plate to be more efficient than EJ89, 34C and the like, but without compromising on comfort. In fact, the Yates M is one of the most comfortable razors I've ever used!

Great review!! I share the enthusiasm for the Yates 921. I had the good fortune to try a bead blast finish 921 out for a week and it is now my holy grail razor. Here are some of my thoughts from two weeks ago:

First shave: M Plate
I honestly was not expecting much from the M plate; just wanted to get it out of the way first. Boy oh boy what a smooth comfortable shave. Two passes and I could have been done. Gentle ATG pass left an effortless BBS. I am quite impressed by the great efficiency with no blade feel. There is no irritation at all on my neck. (the Karve C OC left my neck feeling a bit hot last time I used it).

Second shave: M on face, H on head
Face shave with M was a repeat: amazingly efficient, smooth, and comfortable. Head shave with H was a wonderfully comfortable 2 pass affair. Shaving with the Yates puts me in the mind of how the Henson medium feels. The Henson medium is my go-to for head shaving. Efficient and safe feeling, but it the Henson does require some buffing to catch everything; Yates H was more efficient. The back bottom corners behind the ears, where the skull curves in, is very prone to nicks, sometimes significant ones. Like the Henson, the Yates handles that danger zone safely and comfortably.

Third shave: Hybrid plate on face, HE on head
I am not a fan of dual sided plates; the lack of symmetry violates my feng shui. The hybrid plate certainly looks stunning on the razor. However, the brass plate felt harsher/harder/colder in contrast to the warm/softer feeling of the bead blast stainless. Perhaps the contrast would not be as noticeable on the as machined ss version.

Fourth shave: EH plate increases blade feel and efficiency, but feels non-menacing I could feel the blade a little more and noticed the gap. It took a long time for me to feel stubble, so it definitely upped the long-term efficiency. No irritation at all using H and EH plates.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Yates 921-EH (Bead Blast Finish) (RazoRock Ti Halo Handle)
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald (24mm Synbad Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
20210718_154208~2.jpg

Full shave notes here:

Following on from my original review of the Yates razor with M and Hybrid plates...I received my H plate with updated top cap and have been using it daily for the last week.

This time, I got the best blasted finish and it's gorgeous! The stonewash finish is somewhat unique and different to most finishes on the market. But if one is a fan of bead blasted, they will not be disappointed with this one!

The top cap was redesigned, late last year I believe. It is not as rounded as the original cap and this really helps to find the optimal angle. But this is not to say it's a very narrow range angle, like the Fine Marvel for example. It's kind of like a hybrid cap where it's in between a standard rounded cap and the "set" angle of the Marvel or a GEM razor.
Finding the angle is super easy and the razor feels very intuitive in use.
The YPM logo on the cap has been reduced in size and looks very classy!

The extreme blade bend is an aspect of yates which I love! Firstly, such a bend minimises any blade chatter so even with a gap of 1.03mm (and exposure of +0.13mm), it feels smooth as silk! Surprisingly for me, the aggression H plate compared to the M plate feels to me like the H plate would have a marginally higher gap/exposure but in reality, the difference is huge (M: 0.68mm/neutral to H: 1.03mm/+0.13mm).
So there's a slight increase in aggression with a big jump in efficiency. What more could one ask for?!

The geometry of the Yates is still one of my all time favorites! It never feels like it's going to bite (I get zero nicks, weepers, creepers!), it's very smooth, easy to find the angle and is highly efficient.

Note: the handle is one I had. I prefer slightly lighter handles on my more efficient razors and this one is a good fit for the H plate for my preferences.

20210804_102553~(1).jpg
20210804_102621~(1).jpg
20210804_102637~(1).jpg
20210804_102719~(1).jpg
20210804_102743~(1).jpg
20210804_102733~(1).jpg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
From everything I've read--including your review--this appears to be quite the razor. It's definitely on my list.

Just to refresh me, how do the heads run in terms of mildness? (I'm a feather fan.)

TIA, Bill

From everything I've read--including your review--this appears to be quite the razor. It's definitely on my list.

Just to refresh me, how do the heads run in terms of mildness? (I'm a feather fan.)

TIA, Bill
M is the mildest, the hybrid SB side is the M and the other side is a M OC, the H is next than the EH is the most efficient.

TIA, Bill

The heads from mildest to most efficient:
M (0.68mm gap/neutral exposure)
HYBRID (same as M but with one side OC)
H (1.03mm gap/+0.13mm exposure)
EH (1.27mm gap/+0.23mm exposure)

The head design and geometry really makes Yates an efficient shaver with high comfort and less blade feel.

Yates Precision Manufacturing (YPM) is a relative newcomer to the world of artisan DE razors. They are a family business and all products are machined in their workshop in the US.

I got the razor with the shorter handle choice, M plate and the hybrid plate.

Here are some pics of this beauty!!...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

PACKAGING:

The packaging is 100% environmentally friendly and biodegradable. I prefer this packaging to the flip box type used by most other razor makers. The flip top boxes don’t serve any purpose as they can’t be used for travel so in my view, are wasteful. In the case of YPM, one can keep the packaging or discard it without any detriment. I kept mine as I quite like it!

proxy.php

proxy.php

FIT & FINISH:

The stonewash finish is what drew me to this razor to begin with. I’m not a huge fan of polished/shiny things so this was right up my alley! The finish is flawless and everything fits perfectly. The threading is very smooth too!

The hybrid SB/OC plate is made of brass, whereas the other plates are made of stainless steel with the stonewash finish. The hybrid plate looks striking when assembled with the rest of the razor!

ERGONOMICS (Weight, Balance, Overhang):

The shorter handle is fairly wide but feels very comfortable and well balanced with the head. The razor is hefty and you can feel this in your hand but it doesn’t feel cumbersome. The balance/weight distribution makes it a very comfortable razor to hold and wield around the face.

There is no overhang but the top cap has cut-outs so one can easily remove the blade from the cap very easily.

COMFORT / BLADE CLAMPING / BLADE CHATTER:

This is an aspect of the razor that really shows just how well designed this razor is!!

The blade is centred by the long posts and there is minimal play. Once tightened, there is zero play as the blade is clamped very tightly (you can hear the blade being torqued in the razor head as you tighten it up).

The blade bend is also more than most other razors, which helps to keep the blade very rigid.

These factors really allows the razor to behave like a GEM razor with absolutely minimal blade chatter. It feels ultra smooth on the skin and leads to an amazingly comfortable shave!

The blade bend also helps make the cutting angle very intuitive. I personally find razors that require riding the cap are not as intuitive or comfortable to use. Take the Karve for example, it’s an excellent razor but I find is sensitive to angle and if I don’t ride the cap, it tends to feel like it’s scraping the skin.

EFFICIENCY / BLADE GAP / BLADE EXPOSURE / BLADE REVEAL:

The blade gap of the M plate and the hybrid plate is 0.68mm with neutral blade exposure. This may seem like a relatively small blade gap however, it has good efficiency. The hybrid OC side provides slightly more efficiency without loss of comfort.

I am able to get a DFS+ in 4 passes with this razor, which I didn’t think would be possible given the blade gap. But it just goes to show that blade gap is not everything when it comes to razor design and function.

Note: I have the H plate on the way (1.02mm gap with positive exposure) however USPS is taking their sweet time to get it to me! Once I have had a chance to use it, I’ll update this review to compare it to the M plate. I suspect it will easily get me to BBS as a couple of my favourites are around this level (Karve D, ATT Windsor H).

OVERALL:

I would conclude by saying this razor took me by surprise! With the plethora of choices out there, YPM is offering a razor that is extremely well designed and executed! The stonewash finish allows for a unique addition to the den.

The razor provides what most of us look for in a high quality razor, but at a price that is hard to compete with!! ($125 for a stainless steel razor that is machined in the US…I don’t think there is another razor that comes in at this price!)

Another major factor is that the owner of YPM, Jake, is operating like a true artisan in that he is active within the community and is literally taking onboard what the consumers want!

There’s a lot of products that are in the pipeline and I am really looking forward to what YPM comes out with a time goes on.

I shall post my updated review once I have used the H plate (along with the newly designed top cap).

SPACEMAN LEATHER ACCESSORIES:

These accessories are a very classy addition to travel with a DE razor. The leather razor head cover is awesome! All my DE razors fit it perfectly but the Progress can be a tight fit due to the much bigger head size (it still fits though).

The flip open leather case is beautiful! It just oozes style and is incredibly functional. The case holds the razor and a tuck of blades. Once closed up, it’ll protect your investment during your travels! These are hand-made with 100% leather and is essentially a joint venture between YPM and Spaceman Leather.

If you like high-end luxury leather accessories, these are guaranteed to satisfy!!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice Review!
I am looking for one of the Yates modular razor stands. Been out of stock for a while. Any Ideas? If folks could keep an eye out for a gently used one I can do cash or trade. Have a 2 mint razors looking for a home Muhle R89 grande and and Phoenix Ascension Twist in Stainless
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2588.jpg
    IMG_2588.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 36

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Great razor, great review and those leather guards and case are a excellent way to take your razor on vacations with out damaging them.

Following on from my original review of the Yates razor with M and Hybrid plates...I received my H plate with updated top cap and have been using it daily for the last week.

This time, I got the best blasted finish and it's gorgeous! The stonewash finish is somewhat unique and different to most finishes on the market. But if one is a fan of bead blasted, they will not be disappointed with this one!

The top cap was redesigned, late last year I believe. It is not as rounded as the original cap and this really helps to find the optimal angle. But this is not to say it's a very narrow range angle, like the Fine Marvel for example. It's kind of like a hybrid cap where it's in between a standard rounded cap and the "set" angle of the Marvel or a GEM razor.
Finding the angle is super easy and the razor feels very intuitive in use.
The YPM logo on the cap has been reduced in size and looks very classy!

The extreme blade bend is an aspect of yates which I love! Firstly, such a bend minimises any blade chatter so even with a gap of 1.03mm (and exposure of +0.13mm), it feels smooth as silk! Surprisingly for me, the aggression H plate compared to the M plate feels to me like the H plate would have a marginally higher gap/exposure but in reality, the difference is huge (M: 0.68mm/neutral to H: 1.03mm/+0.13mm).
So there's a slight increase in aggression with a big jump in efficiency. What more could one ask for?!

The geometry of the Yates is still one of my all time favorites! It never feels like it's going to bite (I get zero nicks, weepers, creepers!), it's very smooth, easy to find the angle and is highly efficient.

Note: the handle is one I had. I prefer slightly lighter handles on my more efficient razors and this one is a good fit for the H plate for my preferences.

View attachment 1306607View attachment 1306608View attachment 1306609View attachment 1306610View attachment 1306611View attachment 1306612
What handle do you have on it, I like it?

Top Bottom