What's new

Review: Truefitt & Hill Classic Aftershave Balm

I can't believe that there isn't a review of T&H Classic Aftershave Balm on these boards, but then, there are very few reviews of it, and firms like westcoastshaving.com don't even carry it. I've always been a balm guy, and I've tried a lot of them. I've read a ton of reviews, and T&H scented balms get consistently great, if not the best, balm reviews. But its rare that anybody reviews their Classic.

• Scent. The Classic isn't "scented" like T&H's 1805 balm, Grafton balm, etc... Although they don't advertise it as such, IMHO this is T&H's "unscented" balm, if you will. I say "unscented" because, of course, it does have a scent. Its just a very mellow clean scent that won't get in the way of your favorite cologne or soap scent. Frankly, I love the smell, but I'm not one for over the top scents.
  • Effectiveness. It has a wonderful texture that leaves my face and neck feel very cool and soothed. Its not sticky, and my skin absorbs it quickly. If you like an aftershave burn, then this isn't for you, as there's no burn whatsoever. Other reviews compare the performance to Art of Shaving balm, which I also like, but I think the Classic is better by far.
  • Texture. Its a thicker balm, so if you prefer a splash or a milk, then its probably not for you.
  • Price. Even though its T&H, its not that pricey. Its cheaper by volume than all the T&H scented balms. Its the same price as the T&H scented balms (generally $48), but twice the volume: 200 ml of Classic vs. 100 ml of the scented. That's 24¢ per ml for the Classic and 48¢ per ml for the scented, and they have the same ingredients except for the scent. Art of Shaving Balm, which is quite good, IMHO, is $25 for 60 ml which is a whopping $2.40 per ml! I know Nivea is far cheaper, but for whatever reason, Nivea leaves my skin itching terribly, so its not an option for me.
So, for me anyway, I've found a winner. I'm not a collector by any means. I don't fill my cabinet with a variety of stuff. I want what works, then I stick with it. Unless T&H changes the recipe or stops making it, this is my balm of choice. I really love this stuff and look forward to using it again and again.

proxy.php

Im a BIG TH fan. Have you tried their preshave oil and soaps as well? I believe they also produce the best preshave oil available and are consistently amongst the best shave soaps as well.
Thanks for the suggestion! I just happen to looking for some pre-shave oil and I'm eager to try something new.

Top Bottom