What's new

Review: Tiki Bar Soaps Salty Air

Thought I would give this a brief review since I quite like it, it's my first Tiki Bar Soaps product, and because it's a brand that I don't think gets as much attention as some of the other artisan makers.

My understanding is that she had some business difficulties, but Groomatorium/Chiseled Face came to a deal with her and took over production of the brand.

Salty Air:

Description: "Tiki’s Salty Air Shaving Soap is a classic blend of ocean water drenched with sweet saltwater taffy – it reminds me of a bright summer day on the boardwalk near the ocean, with the breeze blowing through my hair and the smell of saltwater taffy wafting from the shops, freshly made."

Ingredients: Aqua, Potassium Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Sterate, Sodium Stearte, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Rcinoleate, Sodium Ricinoleate, Potassium Kokum Butterate, Sodium Kokum Butterate, Vegetable Glycerin, Lanolin, Fragrance.

SA2.jpg

This is a tallow based soap and I found it to load quite easily, as it's on the softer side, which I like. I've used it with my Omega 10066, but I suspect a less scritchy brush like my cashmere synthetic or silvertip will still have no trouble.

SA1.jpg

Performance wise I have no complaints. Maybe not quite on par with some of the top names we know and love, like Declaration Grooming, but it is definitely a cut above some other popular names. I would put it above Stirling or TOBS for example.

I might just need a few more shaves with it to dial in technique, but I struggled to make a thicker lather with it, however that did not detract from the slickness. A slick lather was relatively easy to produce, with residual slickness being quite good. Pretty good post shave feel as well, my skin does not feel dried out after using this soap. I did feel a slight tingle after leaving it on my skin for a few minutes, so maybe a slight irritation to one of the ingredients. Not enough to be bothersome and no lasting effect from it though.

I quite like this scent. I love the ocean and the beach, so any good scent within that theme is a win for me. If subtle scents aren't your thing you may be left unimpressed, but to my nose it brings the gentle smell of a salty breeze, with just a hint of sweetness. Personally I think the maker's description is spot on: fresh ocean air and salt water taffy.

If you like that scent profile this is definitely a recommendation from me and I will be more than happy to try out more Tiki Bar Soap products in the future.

Nice review, @Frozenshades!! I've only tried Tiki Bar Soap's The Captain, love the scent and performance, and my synthetic brushes have no problem lathering it. Very glad the Groomatorium was able to partner with Tiki Bar Soaps to produce these soaps. I've seen several scents that I wanted to check out and Salty Air was one of them. Thanks!!

I am glad that Groomatorium is keeping the brand alive. I was a huge fan of their soaps until everything sort of fell apart. I still have and enjoy several of their soaps including Salty Air. You did a very nice review and nailed the scent description. Thanks.

Tiki are fantastic soaps.
Too bad the original owner let it fall apart the way it did. I feel it was her ego that got in the way.

I have 3 tiki soaps and like them all...cabernet neroli, grand cru and kon tiki.

Does anyone know if the soap base is the same or if it’s a different base with Tiki scents. I wonder the same thing about LASSCo. I think that Chiseled Face has a nice base, so I’m not suggesting that any soaps are inferior. Just curious really.

Have a tub of The Captain that is the Tiki made by Rob of Chiseled Face but have not lathered it yet.

Am a fan of the original Tiki Bar Soaps and it is cool this brand is still available for people to try. Amanda had many different soap formulas but her Vegan base is by far my favorite, simple ingredients but amazing performance IMO.

Have a tub of The Captain that is the Tiki made by Rob of Chiseled Face but have not lathered it yet.

Am a fan of the original Tiki Bar Soaps and it is cool this brand is still available for people to try. Amanda had many different soap formulas but her Vegan base is by far my favorite, simple ingredients but amazing performance IMO.

Volcano is still listed on the Tiki Website in the vegan base, but listed as sold out. So I'm not sure if it's still being made or not. I don't know the whole story or how the brand changed hands, so I don't know what changes if any Rob made to Tiki soaps. What I do know, is I foresee buying samples of the rest of the scents in the future though.

Top Bottom