What's new

Review Thread for Japanese Style Feather A/C....

Excellent review... I was considering purchasing one but your assessment echoed a couple of my bigger fears with the Japanese style - namely the "awkwardness" of the grip leading to poor control and ultimately a worse shave.

A couple points on the photography, if I may be so bold... :a49: the 5th pic down's saturation seems a bit off, and I was initially confused as to whether it was actually a white handled version of the razor (like the standard DX on ClassicShaving's site). BUT.... the last two photos with the gleam off the shank... totally hot. :thumbup1: And for what it's worth, I also really like the oversaturation in the first picture -- it gives the packaging even more of a downtown Tokyo feel, IMO.

Excellent review... I was considering purchasing one but your assessment echoed a couple of my bigger fears with the Japanese style - namely the "awkwardness" of the grip leading to poor control and ultimately a worse shave.

A couple points on the photography, if I may be so bold... :a49: the 5th pic down's saturation seems a bit off, and I was initially confused as to whether it was actually a white handled version of the razor (like the standard DX on ClassicShaving's site). BUT.... the last two photos with the gleam off the shank... totally hot. :thumbup1: And for what it's worth, I also really like the oversaturation in the first picture -- it gives the packaging even more of a downtown Tokyo feel, IMO.

Pat,
I used 3 different cameras during 3 different sessions, so they are all over the place :biggrin:

If you like those pics - just wait till you see the next feather (DX Teakwood) review I'll post up within the next day or two. :biggrin:

Joel:
While I like my ACD-N Feather for a change of pace, I too find it moderately more awkward to use than one of my traditional str8s. There is also the matter of it being a bit more unforgiving (with either Pro or Super blades) than the traditional razors. I also can usually get a better shave out of my Puma str8 than the Feather. Perhaps this is due to the more extensive experience with the traditional style over the Japanese version, I don't know. A nice review though!

Wayne

Joel:
While I like my ACD-N Feather for a change of pace, I too find it moderately more awkward to use than one of my traditional str8s. There is also the matter of it being a bit more unforgiving (with either Pro or Super blades) than the traditional razors. I also can usually get a better shave out of my Puma str8 than the Feather. Perhaps this is due to the more extensive experience with the traditional style over the Japanese version, I don't know. A nice review though!

Wayne

Wayne,
I think you'd be surprised.... if you try a traditional Japanese straight razor (like a Tosuke) I think you'll find the results to be superb, and you'll immediatly feel as though you have every bit as much control as a European straight razor. Traditional Japanese straight razors are an exquisite joy to shave with, however it is my contention that the FEATHER version is not. The design, weight, balance, feedback and so on and so forth create exactly as you put it, an awkward feel - but make no mistake, this does not apply to traditional Japanese straight razors as a whole, so I wouldn't suggest writing those off!

Hope this helps :smile:

I have a Feather, non-folding RG razor. It looks like the DX in the review except it did not come with the plastic case. I haven't taken it on any trips, but I've discovered it will fit into a plastic, tubular, travel toothbrush holder. It's not a snug fit, so it would have to be padded in the holder somehow -- and I think you'd want the razor to be sans blade for a trip.

Top Bottom