What's new

REVIEW: The Tatara Nodachi Razor

Update

I got the Nodachi OC plate and it is great. Smoother than the Nodachi SB. Like the Masamune OC with better efficiency. Also grabbed the mini Nodachi handle at the same time. Could easily sell both SB plates and just use OCs.

IMG_1181.jpg

Freaking RAD. Every time I think I’m good or have my sights on “just one more razor” I see these reviews and think, “I’d like to try that one, too!”

S&H Do It.png

I have the Tartara Nodachi base and top cap on the Mesamune handle and it's my top performer. I have the Mesamune base and top cap as well for the times I want a little milder shave. Very high quality and great shaving razors. My other razors that this has topped are Blackbird, Windsor, Yates, H&S P076, Timeless 95, Henson Ti22, Rocca, 3one6....just to give you some reference. The performance of all these listed are very similar (great BBS results for me), but the Tatara just edges them in closeness, feel, comfort, and agility....while also being fun to use.

Agreed, I find the glide a little better with the dark finish. Have both finishes and the dark is fine but don't expect it stay looking brand new forever. The finish does fade a bit and start to look more like a black oxide BB. It doesn't bother me.

IMG_0856.jpg

Reactions: nav
Agreed, I find the glide a little better with the dark finish. Have both finishes and the dark is fine but don't expect it stay looking brand new forever. The finish does fade a bit and start to look more like a black oxide BB. It doesn't bother me.

View attachment 1333048
Really thinking of getting the Masa

View attachment 1333048
really thinking of the Masamune Nadachi OC with dark finish. Just want a little different look.

Tatara is my top performer as well right now - masamune base and nodachi cap. Razors it has topped include Timeless .68 & .95, Yates M & H plates, Blackbird, Fatip. Timeless is equal to Tatara in smoothness in my experience, but Tatara is my favorite in terms of appearance, agility, smoothness, efficiency, build quality, the whole package.

Thank you all:cheerful:

I have black Nodachi OC and SB. Was thinking about getting satin finish one too in a wish of extra glide but seems like it leans opposite. Also I have thought about Timeless... but as it seems like my beloved Black Nodachi OC tops them...

I can buy another 20 soaps with the money saved:cuppa:

Not my experience at all. It does Not fade and turn colors like the blackbird. At least mine hasn't. A little drop of oil here and there goes a long ways.
I've been using the Nodachi dark for nearly two years and nothing has faded or turned off color. Nothing. 0.

Did you buy new? I know some of the early dark razors had issues with the coating. What oil are you using?

I have been using the Masamune Nodachi (the combination with open and closed comb) for about two months now and have more recently started alternatively using the Muramasa Adjustable.

Both are exquisite razors, smooth, comfortable and highly efficient.
In my experience (my previous safety razor was a Mühle R101 open comb), there is little difference in efficiency between the Masamune Nodachi with open comb and the one with closed comb, which largely can be attributed to the identical blade exposure and blade gap. In fact, I use the closed comb head more often than the open comb head because it feels more comfortable without sacrificing shave efficiency.

The razor may be quite expensive, but the built is outstanding and being made from stainless steel also has an effect on price.

Even more expensive is the Muramasa Adjustable that was released a few weeks ago.
It takes a unique approach to adjustable design in so far that both the blade gap and the blade exposure can be actively controlled. Quite a nifty little tool; the question is whether one is willing to pay a price that is more than double the price of the Masamune Nodachi.

The comfort and efficiency of a shave with a Muramasa Adjustable is no improvement over the Masamune Nodachi and I suspect few will constantly want to modify their Muramasa's setting. I started from a mid range, went all the way up to the highest setting (5) found no improvement over the next lower one, went back one notch (to 4) and this is where it has stayed ever since.
The Muramasa handle is also shorter than the Nodachi (and Mühle R41 for that matter) and the length of the Nodachi handle is just about perfect for me.

Both razors have the natural (silver) matte finish, as I quite like this colour and after previous experiences with black watches I tend to avoid a black finish, as it can fade, flake, and will show scratches and blemishes more easily than a natural metal finish.
Except for open and closed comb, I have not experimented on my Masamune Nodachi with other base or top plates, or with other handles.
Car or razor 'tuning' tends to be expensive but does IMO rarely yield a measurable overall improvement.
But people do it anyways, because it gives them a personalised car or razor to be proud of.

B.

Last edited:
I have the black Masamune with Open comb. It's nice. I am getting the closed comb. I want to get the closed comb Nodaci not not the open. Idk about the Cap. Maybe. I want to collect them all. I love this razor.

Top Bottom