What's new

REVIEW: The Tatara Nodachi Razor

Since getting the nodachi razor, I had found myself curiously wondering how the nodachi base with the masamune cap would feel for my daily 4 pass shave (WTG, XTG, 2xATG).

The nodachi head is a highly efficient beast. Two or more days growth get swiped away effortlessly!

So I got a masamune cap and as usual Tatara were very easy to deal with, providing great service and fast shipping!

Here are some pics of the head…cos we all love pics right?

The Samurai logo on the bottom of the base plate is my favourite branding of any razor brand!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

For daily shaves, I added the masamune cap, which reduces the blade exposure from +0.13mm to -0.03mm, but retains the 0.90mm blade gap.

The net 0.16mm reduction of blade exposure is something I could notice from the first stroke!

The combo of negative exposure with the relatively larger gap really muted the blade feel and added comfort for my daily shaves, with a little less efficiency than the full nodachi head.

This feels quite close to being in between Karve C and D plates...good combo of smoothness and efficiency.

One difference I want to note when comparing to most other razors is that the tatara head weighs less than most other SS razors. I presume this is due to the thinner base plate. This means the razor needs to be pushed forward as the weight of the head is lighter. This however adds a level of maneuverability and makes it incredibly nimble!

I would suggest this combo for anyone that want a higher blade gap without the positive exposure. Luckily, tatara allow customisation so one can choose any combination they like.

Nice update. Does the masamune cap with the nodachi base allow for a more steeper angle shave? I like to use a steeper angle (not riding cap but the bar) and would like to get one of these razors, but your comment about riding the cap (first post) turned me off a bit. I have found out over the years and many razor acquisitions, that I like a razor that can operate at a steeper angle with a larger blade gap and neutral blade exposure.

Nice update. Does the masamune cap with the nodachi base allow for a more steeper angle shave? I like to use a steeper angle (not riding cap but the bar) and would like to get one of these razors, but your comment about riding the cap (first post) turned me off a bit. I have found out over the years and many razor acquisitions, that I like a razor that can operate at a steeper angle with a larger blade gap and neutral blade exposure.
I've not yet tried that combination but have the base plates and top caps here to be able to do so. There's a handy chart on the Tatara website that lays out the blade exposure and gaps:

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 5.50.57 PM.jpg

The Masamune to me is efficient but effortless with little blade feel. The "full" Nodachi has notable blade feel that got my attention when I first used it! Beautiful, highly efficient shave - but it commanded respect from a feel perspective. Having the full set gives a nice range of selections.

Yeah, I did notice the angle was a bit more natural with the nod/mas combo. Although the full nodachi is not as finicky as say the Karve.

Like you, I also prefer a larger gap with neutral exposure.

Anyone else find the Masamune OC smoother than the SB? Even with a feather blade.

A friend of mine finds the OC smoother than the SB, and with higher efficiency.

I find that riding the cap with Tatara razors just gives me terrible burn and tugs a lot. A more neutral angle or even riding the bar is much better for me. But note that I'm in the minority here, I think.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I ordered my Tatara Nodachi a while back. A week later I ordered an open comb baseplate. The baseplate arrived at my home in Oz earlier this week but no sign of the razor. It is a bit like having fuel in the tank of your car but no wheels. 😤😤😤

Yeah, I did notice the angle was a bit more natural with the nod/mas combo. Although the full nodachi is not as finicky as say the Karve.

Like you, I also prefer a larger gap with neutral exposure.

Thanks for the informations. I have a Karve and do not like it. It leaves my face sore no matter what I do or what blade I use. Chris told me that it's better to rid the cap with the Karve. My preference is to ride the bar not the cap, so I guess that's why I don't like the Karve. I can't seem to use a shallow angle no matter what I do....lol. Can't teach an old dog new tricks I guess.

Reactions: nav
I find that riding the cap with Tatara razors just gives me terrible burn and tugs a lot. A more neutral angle or even riding the bar is much better for me. But note that I'm in the minority here, I think.

Thanks for the input. I'm a bit nervous to order, but this helps me out.

Well, no irritation for me but riding the cap does reduce efficiency for me. Neutral or even leaning into the safety bar is better.

Note I'm using a different angle for OC compared to SB (steeper).

Regarding the Karve, I couldn't get that razor to work for me either. Tried a bunch of angles, cap to bar and did get irritation even on mild plates. Sold the Karve and kept the Tatara.

Interesting thread. I've been happy with my Masamune with both baseplates. If I had to choose, I would choose the closed comb baseplate but not by much. The variety is fun.

In that vein, I'd like to try a Nodachi cap (more blade exposure) or baseplate (more blade gap). Would either swap retain the smoothness and add just a bit of efficiency? Which one? I know you guys will tell me to get a full Nodachi, try both, and report back. And I may do that. But I'd like the benefit of your experience. Thanks.

Interesting thread. I've been happy with my Masamune with both baseplates. If I had to choose, I would choose the closed comb baseplate but not by much. The variety is fun.

In that vein, I'd like to try a Nodachi cap (more blade exposure) or baseplate (more blade gap). Would either swap retain the smoothness and add just a bit of efficiency? Which one? I know you guys will tell me to get a full Nodachi, try both, and report back. And I may do that. But I'd like the benefit of your experience. Thanks.

My first post in this thread is with full nodachi head and the updated review from a couple of days back is nodachi base with masamune cap.

The mixed combo definitely makes it smoother due to lower exposure at a very slight expense of efficiency.

I've tried mixing up all the parts (other than Nodachi OC plate).

In order of smoothness for me it goes

Full Masamune -0.13
Nodachi plate + Masamune cap -0.03
Masamune plate + Nodachi cap neutral
|
Full Nodachi +0.13

Both mixed combos are smoother than all Nodachi. I can feel the difference between -0.03 and neutral on my face and prefer Nodachi plate and Masamune cap. I didn't like all Nodachi without a less sharp blade, i.e. wouldn't use a feather but astra was fine.

I don't have the Nodachi parts anymore. I prefer comfort over efficiency.

I have the Nodachi setup, cap and base, and use it at a steeper angle, no problem.

Top Bottom