What's new

Review: The Artisan Soap Shoppe Agave (Tallow)

proxy.php

This review will be on the TASS Agave (Tallow) shave soap.

The gear will be a Merkur 23c head on a WSC 84g handle, Astra SP blade (2nd shave) and an Omega 10098 Pro boar brush.

Description and ingredients:The Agave plant, grown in Mexico, produces two products known to the wider world -agave sweetener and tequila. But now it also lends its name to this aroma which focuses more on the cactus-like plant than its more well-known exports. Notes of dark cucumber blend with cedarwood for a masculine, outdoorsy scent.

Size: 6oz of soap

Made in the USA

Ingredients: Tallow, Coconut Oil, Stearic Acid, potassium hydroxide, Glycerin, sodium hydroxide, Sodium Lactate, Fragrance

Scent: 7/10 This scent is unique. The smell of the agave cactus really comes through slightly softened by the cedarwood. The best comparison I have is to working in the garden weeding and picking the vegetables or smelling a fresh salad. Now this is not necessarily a bad thing. The soap doesn’t stink or smell bad. It’s just very unusual. I paired it with Clubman’s Citrus Musk and it blended quite well.

Lather: 10/10 It’s tallow based so it’s thirsty just like their other soaps. I did not pre-soak the soap but it still loaded easily with just a wet brush. I then transferred to my scuttle and commenced to building lather, adding water as needed, until I had a thick, rich, very slick and very fragrant lather. I had more than enough for my standard 3 passes and a very good BBS shave. It had excellent slickness and face feel with no tightness afterwards.

There were no issues after the shave with irritation or anything else.

Conclusion: This one will not be restocked in my stash after the tub is finished. There is nothing wrong with the performance, I just don’t care for the scent. Again, however, YMMV.

Thank you for reading and happy shaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom