What's new

Review: Shea Moisture African Black Soap Shave Butter Creme

Shea Moisture Shave's African Black Soap Shave Butter Creme. Available in Walgreen's where I live for less than $10 per 6 oz. tub.

Absolute crap.

First of all, when I opened it, there was a dime-size spot of mold sitting on top. But I can deal with surface mold, and I'm incredibly cheap. So I scooped out the mold and surrounding cream with a teaspoon.

Then the smell hit me. Not rancid. Just nasty smelling. Like someone mixed the essential oils of mud, black tar, and wet dog. Yuck, you want me to shave with that?! But, I persevered. Did I mention I'm incredibly cheap?

I smeared a good bit in my Turkish shaving mug and went to work with my wet Omega Pro 48 brush. Nothing. Just wet cream. Not a bit of lather. WTH? So I looked at the label. "Apply directly to face with fingers or brush. Use sparingly." So I did.

It was like smearing butter on my face., except not as slippery and really foul smelling. It didn't seem soapy at all, so I used quite a bit and went at it with my brush, going for a face lather. Nothing. The brush just smeared this foul smelling stuff around. I wondered if maybe it had separated or something, but no, it looked like nice shaving cream in the tub. But it wasn't.

Well, I'm not that cheap. "F- this," I muttered and tossed the whole container in the trash.

And I grabbed some Barrister & Mann Sandalwood Latha and started over. But first I had to spend 5 minutes scrubbing my face, bowl, and brush to be rid of the offending putridity.

I'm so cheap that ordinarily I would have thrown out the contents and saved the container. But there are some things that just can't be forgiven or forgotten.

Don't buy it.
Don't accept it as a gift.
Don't even walk down the aisle where it is sold.

You'd be better off shaving with the stuff you scoop out your kitchen drain to clear a clog.

2 years ago I purchased a tub of this at the Harmon store. I honestly didn't think it was that bad. The scent was ok and the cream's performance wasn't bad at all. My only complaint was that it clogged up my razor.

However I must say that I got better shaves using Gillette gel. Never again. Happy with my soaps and creams.

Didn't save the receipt. But I did dig the container out of the trash, emptied it and rinsed it, and put it in the dishwasher. I am that cheap it turns out. Hey, some pucks come without containers and need a home.

Top Bottom