What's new

Review: Rockwell 6S, Merfur Futur, Merkur 34C...what's my favourite...

Hello,

I started wet shaving a few months ago...and got hooked (big time).

My personal review of the 3 DE razors l purchased and have been using (just my personal thoughts):

Merkur Futur, Polished finish:

I'll start off by stating, l personally believe this
DE razor is a piece of mechanical Art (so beautiful). The heft, and balance of this fine instrument is outstanding.

Looks great with it's a matching polished stand.

Having said that, man! this is one aggressive razor. I do use and enjoy it. But, you have to treat like a surgical tool, even at a level 1setting.

The audible feedback is like no razor l've experienced (fantastic). It's great to have in den, but a razor that commands a lot of attention when shaving.

Please note, l do have sensitive skin. So, perhaps others might find the Futur at higher settings just fine.

Nevertheless, a classic razor.

Rockwell 6S:

Love that this razor is stainless steel...and will outlast my lifetime. The ingenuity of the 6 plates is fantastic mechanical engineering. l doubt one can not find the perfect shave with plate experimentation.

With it's matching stand, this razor looks awesome and performs the same.

A real winner and tremendous value.

Merkur 34C:

What can l say...when l researched this DE razor it kept coming in a lot of people's "top 5 best DE safety razors".

Now l understand why. I get a perfect shave, "everytime". The smaller handle is actually an advantage, so easy to handle with great balance.

Interestingly, it's my least expensive DE razor that l own but, now it's my favourite go to razor.

I love! all 3 DE razors (would not change any),...

But, if l could only have one DE razor for life, it would be the Merkur 34C.

I'm now considering another DE razor (?).

Cheers.

Nice review.

I still really want to try a Merkur 34C. Back when I got into DE razors, I was deciding between an Edwin Jagger and the 34C as my first razor. I ended up going with the Edwin Jagger, but I've always had the 34C in the back of my mind as one of the "must try" razors. I'm sure I'll probably just end up adding one to an order some day in a moment of weakness when I'm ordering other supplies. Your review certainly rekindled the thoughts about getting one.

I have only just recently bought a Merkur 34c and I agree it’s an outstanding razor I so wish I had bought one years ago. Until recently most of my shaves have been with vintage razors but having purchased several modern razors recently including De89 R89 and the 34c . The 34c is the one that always delivers a perfect shave.

Thanks.

There are a lot of great razors out there (for sure). But, for the money, the Merkur 34c is "a classic" and worth every cent (just my opinion).

It's my understanding that the Merkur 34c HD hasn't changed much since the 1930's.

To me it's the modern day fat boy (no offence to my vintage friends),..in fact both have very similar deminsions.

Merku 34C HD:

APPROXIMATE DIMENSIONS:
Overall length: 84 mm
Cutting head width: 41 mm
Cutting head depth: 25 mm
Handle diameter: 12 mm
Knob diameter: 15 mm
Weight: 2.72 oz (77g)

GILLETTE FATBOY RAZOR DIMENSIONS:

Weight: 80g
Total length: 88mm
Handle length: 78mm
Handle Diameter: 11.5mm
Width of head: 43.3mm
Height of head: 10.5mm

PS: The Fatboy is obviously at a much higher price point and quite collectible.

If/when l buy a vintage DE razor...it would be a Gillette Fatboy.

Hello,
When I started wet shaving about two years ago, I purchased a Viking Chieftain JR. I found that I wanted a different style razor after using a butterfly razor. Therefore, I purchased the Merkur 34C HD. It has become my go to razor as I can shave with it and feel comfortable with most plates. I have also purchased a Rockwell 6S and enjoy it as well. However, I find myself again and again using the 34C. Other razors that I have use inclued the EJ DE 89, the game changer 68, The Gillette heritage, the new king C Gillette razor, the parker 87R (A TTO razor), and a few Gillette Tech clones. My latest purchase include the Merkur Progress and the RazoRock Mamba. I find myself enjoying mild razors. A few other things I have learned about wet shaving is that I prefer creams and soaps without lanolin. I have used some creams and soaps that have lanolin and they have irritated my skin. Of course, it may have been some other ingredients that caused irritation. However, just to be safe, I stay away from soaps with that ingredient. Have a great evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello,
When I started wet shaving about two years ago, I purchased a Viking Chieftain JR. I found that I wanted a different style razor after using a butterfly razor. Therefore, I purchased the Merkur 34C HD. It has become my go to razor as I can shave with it and feel comfortable with most plates. I have also purchased a Rockwell 6S and enjoy it as well. However, I find myself again and again using the 34C. Other razors that I have use inclued the EJ DE 89, the game changer 68, The Gillette heritage, the new king C Gillette razor, the parker 87R (A TTO razor), and a few Gillette Tech clones. My latest purchase include the Merkur Progress and the RazoRock Mamba. I find myself enjoying mild razors. A few other things I have learned about wet shaving is that I prefer creams and soaps without lanolin. I have used some creams and soaps that have lanolin and they have irritated my skin. Of course, it may have been some other ingredients that caused irritation. However, just to be safe, I stay away from soaps with that ingredient. Have a great evening.

How would you compare your EJ DE89 and your Game Changer .68 in terms of aggressiveness / efficiency? I have the Jagger, love the shave it provides. I'm looking into getting a game changer but hesitating between the .68 and the .84

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

How would you compare your EJ DE89 and your Game Changer .68 in terms of aggressiveness / efficiency? I have the Jagger, love the shave it provides. I'm looking into getting a game changer but hesitating between the .68 and the .84

Good morning. Between the Jagger 89 and the Game Changer 68, you would go from mild to midaggression. The game changer is smooth but it definitely has a blade gap. The Jagger provides a great shave, but it’s very mild which would allow you to use sharper blates.

Good morning. Between the Jagger 89 and the Game Changer 68, you would go from mild to midaggression. The game changer is smooth but it definitely has a blade gap. The Jagger provides a great shave, but it’s very mild which would allow you to use sharper blates.

Good afternoon! Thank you for the insight. So just to recap, even though the Jagger has a blade gap of .76 and the game changer .68, I would still go up in aggression?

Good afternoon! Thank you for the insight. So just to recap, even though the Jagger has a blade gap of .76 and the game changer .68, I would still go up in aggression?

Hello. Well, if you put it that way, the Jagger would be more aggressive. However, I don’t feel that when I shave with the Jagger 89. I feel it to be very mild compared to the game changer 68. Unless Razorock uses different measurements. I hope this helps.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I started DE shaving with the Merkur 38c. Very comfortable and efficient, but I was curious to try other razors. I picked up a value priced Wilkinson Sword and find it also a forgiving razor, plus I like the way the blade loads, handle longer than I prefer. Bring on the Edwin Jagger DE89, I like this one as well, all different, but great for my needs. After reading several reviews I’m awaiting a Merkur 34C and looking forward to see how it compares. I’m very satisfied with what most users describe as a MILD razor. Although depending on the blade and my attention span....anything can happen.

Top Bottom