What's new

Review: Pitralon Classic (Germany)

I've been using that Pitralon Classic ever since I started shaving, and that's been for a looong time. :001_cool:

I usually call that stuff "Doctor Pitralon" because it soothes even the worst razor burns (and mosquito bites), although it might feel like liquid fire in your face when you apply it straight onto freshly irritated skin.

That cedar oil and musk scent is nothing short of overwhelming, the slightly mentholic kick is pure refreshment and the scent is a quite long-lasting one. The perfectly shaped glass bottle with the plain logo sticker and the air-tight and leak-proof dark green plastic cap are a masterpiece of excellent product design - created in the wake of the Bauhaus "form follows function" idea. Although Pitralon was launched back in 1927 by a company named Lingner-Werke in Dresden, it must be noted that the formula was different and that "Pitralon Classic" as we know it today has been on the market "only" since 1964.

If I were to be marooned on a deserted island and be asked which after-shave lotion I would like to use for the rest of my life, I'd choose Pitralon Classic without thinking twice. I think that says it all.

proxy.php

Pitralon Classic: Glass bottle and cardboard packaging box

proxy.php

The bottle is plain but perfectly shaped. The cap seals it hermetically. The front-side sticker reads "Pitralon Classic since 1927" in German.

I'm a big fan of it but SWMBO is not, so it only gets worn to work. I find it has real staying power and I can still smell it faintly at the end of the day.

I'm a big fan of it but SWMBO is not, so it only gets worn to work.

My wife said it was either going to be her or I wearing Pitralon. I will greatly miss my wife. :D

No, just kidding, my significant other actually likes a whiff of Pitralon Classic on me.

I think I owe you a translation of what is written on the package depicted in my posting above:

On the front of the box it reads:
"mit natürlichem Zedernöl" - with natural cedarwood oil
" für richtige Männer" - for real men

On the back of the box it reads:
"Pitralon Classic Aftershave mit natürlichem Zedernöl pflegt und belebt die Haut. Dabei hat Pitralon Classic den bekannten, männlich würzig-herben Duft." - Pitralon Classic after-shave lotion with natural cedarwood oil nourishes and revitalizes the skin. Pitralon Classic has the famous manly spicy and herbal scent.
"Probieren Sie auch Pitralon Classic Pre Shave zur Vorbereitung der Haut auf die Elektrorasur." - Please try also Pitralon Classic pre-shave lotion so as to prepare the skin for electric shaving.

Last edited:
After Speick lotion this is my all time favorite as well. When weather is cool this is what I reach out for, often. The cedarwood oil is nothing short of magical to my nose and it does bring out a kind of herbaceous, warm but very clean and fresh smell.

My wife said it was either going to be her or I wearing Pitralon. I will greatly miss my wife. :D

No, just kidding, my significant other actually likes a whiff of Pitralon Classic on me.

I think I owe you a translation of what is written on the package depicted in my posting above:

"Pitralon Classic Aftershave mit natürlichem Zedernöl pflegt und belebt die Haut. Dabei hat Pitralon Classic den bekannten, männlich würzig-herben Duft." - Pitralon Classic after-shave lotion with natural cedarwood oil nourishes and revitalizes the skin. Pitralon Classic has the famous manly spicy and herbal scent.
"Probieren Sie auch Pitralon Classic Pre Shave zur Vorbereitung der Haut auf die Elektrorasur." - Please try also Pitralon Classic pre-shave lotion so as to prepare the skin for electric shaving.

Thanks for the translation!!

And your wife has GREAT TASTE!! :a29:

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Ditto, thanks. Can't remember if mine had all that German on it ... as with Speick; never be without, ja?

AA

Ditto, thanks. Can't remember if mine had all that German on it ... as with Speick; never be without, ja?

Exactly, those are part of my personal shaving universe: Speick Men shaving creme and Pitralon Classic after-shave lotion. I don't think I'll ever run out of supply as long as they make that stuff. :)

@BigJ : Thanks for the flowers! I'll pass them onto my SWMBO. :D

Bought it for 3.95 euros in Germany, the smell alone is so lovely, but it also works great for soothing the skin.pitralon.jpg

What is the Polar like...?
Smells like synthetic aqua scent tilting towards 'modern' type of scent profile. I don't think I am going to order it again. Original and classic are better smells any day. Green classic is my favorite and really not as 'dated' as original.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Power of Suggestion! Slapped Pitrolon on today for a rare compliment from the wife. Pine is fine!

AA

Top Bottom