What's new

Review: Pitralon Classic (Germany)

While cliché, things are considered classics for a reason, whether it's the unreliability and beauty of a E-Type Jaguar, a Rolex Datejust or Levi's 501 jeans. These things bypass trends and stab the test of time. I believe the fact that Pitralon Classic -- the German version -- is thusly named is no accident.

A few days ago, I distracted myself
With a personal haj to shave Mecca, or I took trip to Pasteur Pharmacy in search of an aftershave. I took a risk going in without a plan, but gents, I made it out spending less than $30. As I wandered through the aisles, went to a top shelf where I first saw some Spieck, then thyne eyes saw the varied bottles of Pitralon from across the European continent. After smelling a few, my aquiline nose selected the Pitralon Classic from Germany. The smell is a combination of pine and musk, which on paper seems like it would smell like bathroom cleaner, but to me (and my wife of almost 18 year) it smells like Carey Grant in To
Catch a Thief: manly with a bit of sex appeal and whimsy.

Today, I used it after the alum block and it greeted my face with a bit of a sting from the alcohol, that was quickly followed my some magical smoothing and soothing properties. I followed it up by putting Nivea after shave on my face (moisturizer in winter is key), which diluted the smell a bit. However, I re applied as was good. The scent isn't overwhelming and has legs -- or it will last throughout the day. And, at $15, for 100ml. It's the best bargain after my cheap bowl of Pho I get for $7 in Bridgeport, Connecticut.

5 Stars
IMG_7753.JPG

I should have also added, that the design of the bottle is top notch, from the logo to its shape. My 10 year old says "the bottle looks super nice" Moreover, it has a restrictor is built into the bottle, and the cap has an extra long plug to stay air tight.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great review. The for posting. I forgot I was interested in the blue flavor by this mfg did you happen to see or smell the blue?

Sweet review, thanks for that! Happy to hear that swmbo likes it so much...sadly, there is no joy in Mudville (my household).

Personally, I've been on and off with the Classic version for a few months. When you're looking for that "brisk"/cedar combo, there's nothing better. There's a sweet(?) note that can seem odd to my nose, but few aftershaves provide such a great combo of scent, comfort, and style. You're spot on about the bottle, one of the more iconic bottles out there.

Great review, thank you. I agree with your son's assessment of the bottle. Looks art deco to me, which fits with the date. I'm impressed that you only spent $30 at Pasteur's. That's self control! :001_smile

Great review. I picked up a bottle when visiting in Germany a couple of years ago.

A very nice scent, and a good product.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Finally made room for, and grabbed a bottle of German Pitralon.

Just amazing stuff! Wish I'd tried it before. Bit like Agua Brava but even better - shoot, this AS is probably stronger than the AB EdC.

AA

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Bull goose shaving has a 30% sale on pitalon .The code is pitralon. I got the polar and the German based on these positive reviews .

Top Bottom