What's new

Review on ShaverCheck of the Braun 7071cc shaver.

This Sunday is Father’s Day which is the one day other than Christmas/Chanukah for sales of electric shavers. I came across the review of Braun’s new 7071cc shaver on ShaverCheck. Although, I have a Braun 7893s shaver that’s only about 13 months old. I wanted to read their review to see if it’s worth upgrading for Father’s Day. According to ShaverCheck’s review, the previous 7 series shavers are cosiderd better including giving a closer shave. Anyone here own one and have anything to add to the review?

Here’s a link:

I own one, and here was my review:

Series 7 7071

I should add that I also own and use an earlier Series 7 as well - a 799cc-A. And I mostly have praise for the earlier model - smooth and comfortable, very robustly built, a groundbreaking design in its day. That said, referencing the older Braun, the paint dissolves in the alcohol cleaner eventually. The trimmer is flimsy, poorly placed, and prone to breaking. The battery indicator is a simple LCD, not back-lit, and not very useful. The head lock is also flimsy and prone to breakage, and again poorly placed. It vibrates more than any other Braun. The shave with the earlier 7, however, is probably as comfortable as you can get with an electric. I like them both, and use them both.

Last edited:
No experience with the 'new' series 7. I can say this: after my lengthy history with Braun shavers ranging from 3 to 9 (no need to rehash since most members reading this thread read those as well) I recently decided to get the second generation of the 'old' series 7 as I remember it being my favorite. This was coming off a lengthy stint with the series 3 (again). I have to say, now that my technique is good and my skin has adjusted... I like the series 3 more. It's got less unnecessary bells and whistles, it's got a better trimmer, it's got cheaper foil heads, and I find I actually prefer the non pivoting head. The cleaning station is more simple, practical, and reliable and overall everything about the shaver and base are very utilitarian. Since I can't return the series 7 I'm just going to sell it cheap to help offset the loss, though I never get any bites or interest when I BST electrics via B&B. Somehow (maybe because my series 3 is now 'worked in') the series 7 missed more flat hairs and left more irritation then the series 3, even on it's lowest 'sensitive' setting.

I own one, and here was my review:

Series 7 7071

I should add that I also own and use an earlier Series 7 as well - a 799cc-A. And I mostly have praise for the earlier model - smooth and comfortable, very robustly built, a groundbreaking design in its day. That said, referencing the older Braun, the paint dissolves in the alcohol cleaner eventually. The trimmer is flimsy, poorly placed, and prone to breaking. The battery indicator is a simple LCD, not back-lit, and not very useful. The head lock is also flimsy and prone to breakage, and again poorly placed. It vibrates more than any other Braun. The shave with the earlier 7, however, is probably as comfortable as you can get with an electric. I like them both, and use them both.

I agree that the older series has some shortcomings. I never lock the head because of the reports of the it breaking and also because I have no need to lock it. The battery indicator is a little weird but it works. The real question is does the newest version shave significantly better than the previous version? Do you have a preference?

I agree that the older series has some shortcomings. I never lock the head because of the reports of the it breaking and also because I have no need to lock it. The battery indicator is a little weird but it works. The real question is does the newest version shave significantly better than the previous version? Do you have a preference?

The newer series (7071+) shaves slightly closer for me - I'm guessing because the head really is more flexible, and stays in contact with the curves of the face better. The automatic "density detector" may contribute as well, but hard to say since it can't be turned off to compare. The flat trimmer bar seems to be more effective as well, although the foils are very similar to the earlier Braun. I actually like the detachable trimmer, and it's more robust and effective than the pop-up variety, but I understand the negatives of having to snap it on and off, although with practice it's not really significant. All that said, the new model is not as robust as the old model, with significantly more plastic, although that's true of 99% of all electrics made today. Noise and vibration are similar. I like the ergonomics of the new 7 better, and the lighter weight is actually a plus for me.

I do prefer the shave of the new model, but to me it's a more aggressive head, and it's possible to shave TOO close with too much pressure, where it's difficult to get razor burn with the old model. The replacement heads (73S/B) look like they're just about to come on the market, projected around $30-40, so in line with other Braun heads. I add also that I shave wet with both shavers, so can't really compare a dry shave. I do use the cleaning station, and I find the new design an improvement over the old one, and a plus is it uses the same cartridges. One minus is that you can't just charge the shaver in the station, pushing the Start button (which you need to do to charge it) starts a cleaning cycle. Overall, for me, it's a good shaver and a good system, and an improvement over the older model, although Ovidiu would disagree! :001_smile

Last edited:
The newer series (7071+) shaves slightly closer for me - I'm guessing because the head really is more flexible, and stays in contact with the curves of the face better. The automatic "density detector" may contribute as well, but hard to say since it can't be turned off to compare. The flat trimmer bar seems to be more effective as well, although the foils are very similar to the earlier Braun. I actually like the detachable trimmer, and it's more robust and effective than the pop-up variety, but I understand the negatives of having to snap it on and off, although with practice it's not really significant. All that said, the new model is not as robust as the old model, with significantly more plastic, although that's true of 99% of all electrics made today. Noise and vibration are similar. I like the ergonomics of the new 7 better, and the lighter weight is actually a plus for me.

I do prefer the shave of the new model, but to me it's a more aggressive head, and it's possible to shave TOO close with too much pressure, where it's difficult to get razor burn with the old model. The replacement heads (73S/B) look like they're just about to come on the market, projected around $30-40, so in line with other Braun heads. I add also that I shave wet with both shavers, so can't really compare a dry shave. I do use the cleaning station, and I find the new design an improvement over the old one, and a plus is it uses the same cartridges. One minus is that you can't just charge the shaver in the station, pushing the Start button (which you need to do to charge it) starts a cleaning cycle. Overall, for me, it's a good shaver and a good system, and an improvement over the older model, although Ovidiu would disagree! :001_smile

Thanks for an interesting answer. I’ve never heard anyone say a shaver shaves too close. I have never had a problem with razor burn with any shaver since I was a teenager. We all know that shavers are a very personal preference and the reviewer on ShaverCheck has the reverse opinion. Based on your comments I think I’m going to skip this version and keep using my 7893s. I have little use for a cleaning station and having a removable trimmer seems a lot of extra effort to trim my mustache once a week. Hopefully, I can get at least another four years of use out of my current shaver and who knows what will be available then.

Did anyone get a new shaver for Father’s Day?

Understood and best of luck with your choice. I'm actually using a 9000 Series Philips Norelco right now before I switch back to my DE rotation for awhile, but will likely start up with a Braun again when I switch back in a few weeks. My 799cc doesn't get as much of a workout as it used to, but will probably log a few shaves with it.

Top Bottom