What's new

Review on Captain's Choice aftershave balms

Merry Christmas, everyone! Hope you everyone has enjoyed their day thus far!

I'd like to thank Scott for providing me with his full line of samples. I want to extend my gratitude for his generous offer of his line of Captain's Choice aftershave balm. He also offered me a fully loaded Ford Raptor for this review, too. KIDDING! :laugh::lol:

The aftershave balms are this GFT skin-food-like lotion. If you're not familiar with Trumper's Skin Food, it's basically corn husker's lotion found in every super market or drug store. Easy to apply. No residue and adsorb easily into the skin, leaving behind an invisible layer of protection. Made with all-natural aloe vera and infused with botanical extracts, these shave balms deliver invisible shield of moisture that will leave your face feeling refreshed and nourished all day long. About $20 for a 4 oz bottle. Good quality balms that compete with the top, well-known brands out there.

Captain's Choice line consists of:

Bay Rum: The classic Bay-Rum scent. Heavy on the clove with a spicy and rich woody forest-like scent.

Lime: Least pleasurable scent. Smells like every citrus-scented industrial cleaner.

45th Parallel: If you've smelled Cella shave cream or the cherry topping on hot fudge sundae, this that scent. Sweet cherry and almond. Almost makes want to taste it, lol.

Sandalwood: By far the strongest and lingers the most. This was the scent of I preferred the most. It's got a 2-3 hour window before the scent vanishes. Nice, woodsy, manly scent. In my opinion, the best scent if you want longevity without projection.

Venture: Creed Aventus is what a lot of some reviewers compare this scent to. It's not super strong or overpowering. Very subtle and sophisticated. I've never smelled Creed Aventus, myself, but I know it is one of the most expensive fragrance's out there. It's $400 a bottle and available at Nordstrom. This scent doesn't linger as long as the Sandalwood does. It's right behind it.

This is what they look like:

Aftershave samples.jpgSamples.jpg

I didn't get supplied anything to review, but I did buy some CC bay rum aftershave balm, since I'm a sucker for bay rums.

Nice aftershave that leaves my face feeling really nice. On par with good lotions, and very soothing.

Great scent too, not quite 100% classic bay rum, but really really nice.

I got the sampler. Mixed feelings about the products. I understand that no balm has fragrance that lasts more then a few minutes. but in every sample I found the fragrance so light that I can smell the base more than the scent. I still think that the nourishing moisturizing quality is really nice. A sixth scent has been added "Nor'easter" I find that to have the most scent and by far is the most satisfying. Second favorite is the Sandalwood even though its doesn't smell like sandalwood to me. I would buy the Nor'easter and will. I imagine the non balm same scents with alcohol might be stronger and some more satisfying. Anyone try those?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I must say seems like a. Very unbiased review for getting free stuff.
im waiting for the review on the truck
My favcap scent is 45 but its not for every day. Ive not tried any balm but the splash is heavy scented except for venture.

I got the sampler. Mixed feelings about the products. I understand that no balm has fragrance that lasts more then a few minutes. but in every sample I found the fragrance so light that I can smell the base more than the scent. I still think that the nourishing moisturizing quality is really nice. A sixth scent has been added "Nor'easter" I find that to have the most scent and by far is the most satisfying. Second favorite is the Sandalwood even though its doesn't smell like sandalwood to me. I would buy the Nor'easter and will. I imagine the non balm same scents with alcohol might be stronger and some more satisfying. Anyone try those?
After a few more weeks going through the samples, I've come to the conclusion that I like 'Venture' the most. Call me crazy but for me it smells slightly like the ocean. I live in land locked Colorado but grew up on the east coast. It's kind of nostalgic for me. Another thing about these balms is they feel great on my normally dry skin and moisturize without feeling greasy for the whole day.

Top Bottom