What's new

Review of the Write Notepads and CO. Pocket Notebooks

Write Notepads and CO. Notebooks have been something that has been on my radar for a while and when the opportunity came up to be able to pick some up with free shipping that just put me over the edge to pick some up.
20171204_191651-1.jpg

I decided to pick up the "fingerprints" edition because they just look really unique. The notebook is 64 pages of 70# paper that they state "has been meticulously selected to perform best for most writing instruments." The notebooks do feel very sturdy and the paper is blank white paper that feels smooth to the touch and it does have this thicker feel to the pages.
20171204_191724-1.jpg
The notebook is pretty close to standard "pocket notebook" size such as a Field Notes, it is just a little bit wider. The reason for this width is the glue binding that is used to hold the notebook together. While this does make the notebook feel really sturdy it also causes one of my biggest complaints. The notebook is really difficult to make it lay flat. The binding does cause a raised hump in the middle of the notebook, and does get a little annoying if you write on both sides of the paper. Speaking of paper, the writing experience on this paper is really good.
20171204_191906-1.jpg

There was the tiniest bit of feathering with my pens that have a higher flow. The paper feels really smooth to write on even with my Extra Fine Cursive Italic that I consider to be really sharp. It is not as smooth as Rhodia because it is not a coated paper but because the paper is not coated the dry time is really good at under 5 sec. With pocket notebooks it is always hard to find that balance between good paper like the Rhodia pocket notebooks which has a higher price and higher dry time or something like Field Notes which the paper is not super great but the price is a little lower and the dry time is good.
20171204_192213-1.jpg

The Write Notepads pocket notebook has done a good job of finding paper that feels great to write on that also has a good dry time. Right now, for the price of $9.99 for a pack of 3 you get quality notebooks that are made in America that feel like they will stand up to anything that you will throw at it. Besides the binding everything else about this notebook just really hits on everything that I want out of a pocket notebook. If these notebooks sound like something that will interest you I do not believe that you will be disappointed picking up some of these.
20171204_192248-1.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
thx for posting and your review and pics
I wasn't aware of this notebook but now I think I have more items on my wish list. not sure I see the size of these...

thx for posting and your review and pics
I wasn't aware of this notebook but now I think I have more items on my wish list. not sure I see the size of these...

I believe they are 3 3/4" by 5 1/2" (1/4" wider than Field Notes)

Potential bonus for our Canadian forum members.... I had a discussion with a Canadian business owner, yesterday, who has plans to carry Write notepads in 2018. Keep your eyes peeled.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
they have a nice left handed note book thats a perfect gift idea.
I am also interested in the schon pens. but am unsure about the smallish size @ 4 inches.

they have a nice left handed note book thats a perfect gift idea.
I am also interested in the schon pens. but am unsure about the smallish size @ 4 inches.
Yes, the left handed notebooks are a great idea. They aren't unique to Write, but it's great that they offer them!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
As I mentioned previously I placed an order - and after that - and receiving the standard weve got your order standard robo type emails. I received a personalized email from the owner of the company thanking me for my business and letting me know if I had any questions I could reach out to him etc. This moved me to post again here and do a hat's off for this level of customer service and attention to detail even before I receive my shipment/order.

As I mentioned previously I placed an order - and after that - and receiving the standard weve got your order standard robo type emails. I received a personalized email from the owner of the company thanking me for my business and letting me know if I had any questions I could reach out to him etc. This moved me to post again here and do a hat's off for this level of customer service and attention to detail even before I receive my shipment/order.
I also enjoy those little touches when ordering from a company. You tend to see that a lot in these smaller niche businesses because they understand how important those little things are to customers.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Looks like a fair amount of feathering, although not too woolly of a line.
I'm more interested in how much show-through there is on the opposite side, especially if using a wet medium nib, for instance.

Looks like a fair amount of feathering, although not too woolly of a line.
I'm more interested in how much show-through there is on the opposite side, especially if using a wet medium nib, for instance.
I completely forgot to take a picture of the other side of the page I will get that up. I didn't really try a real gusher of a pen but I'll really stress test the paper to let you know how it would hold up.

here are the pictures for the samples of front and back of the page. It looks like the Pilot Custom Heritage 91 with a soft fine/medium nib with Pilot blue black must be digging into the paper because there was a significant amount of bleed through with that nib. My Medium nib Twsbi Eco and my Fine nib Pilot Metro did not show as much bleeding. So @nemo I really wish I could be of more help but this might give you more insight of the paper quality.
20171207_201024-1.jpg
20171207_201117-1.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
...here are the pictures for the samples of front and back of the page...

Thanks, that's a big help. Doesn't seem to be too bad for a non-coated paper.

I'll have to give 'em a try.

I'm glad I could help. It seems like the paper should hold up to most things but what I noticed that when I nib digs into the paper even just a bit or if the nib is sharp like a cursive Italic it causes more bleed through than with a broader smoother nib.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I received my order today. I mentioned before that the owner followed up with a separate email after my purchase. so A+ for communication. . (I purchased shave soap from a company in portland maine that emailed me and it has been over two weeks since my order or any reply to my two follow-on emails. so usually the bad business get the attention. Big plus to Write). The order was doubled packaged and carefully wrapped. I got a few notebooks - the reporters note book hopefully will become my "to do" book.
the paper is very nice and has a nice heft and not coated but held up well to my own version of a bleed test. sorry no pics. absolutely no feathering at all. the back side of the page showed what I wrote only very faintly. the back side would be usable given the bleed. in fact I wrote on the back and compared the other - initial side - and it is fine in terms of using the back page with the minimal amount of bleed. I used a franklin-christoph model 66 with a wide nib. maybe a "15" sorry I need a magnifying glass. and shin kai iroshizuku for reference. I will probably not frequently use this one with a fp anyway. Note book covers are very nice and hefty. double spiral rings are sturdy and pages turn without getting caught.

I like the rubber bands that comes with the notebook. But probably I will lose these. they are not attached. and not sure I would want them to be.

I also bought the slide rule (made in usa also). and its fantastic quality.

packaging came with some goodies like a vintage look postcard of Baltimore. wow inner harbor had trees once ... and a nice sticker.

all in all very satisfied. high quality and made in us so I will keep this company on my list to continue to look at / purchase.

I received my order today. I mentioned before that the owner followed up with a separate email after my purchase. so A+ for communication. . (I purchased shave soap from a company in portland maine that emailed me and it has been over two weeks since my order or any reply to my two follow-on emails. so usually the bad business get the attention. Big plus to Write). The order was doubled packaged and carefully wrapped. I got a few notebooks - the reporters note book hopefully will become my "to do" book.
the paper is very nice and has a nice heft and not coated but held up well to my own version of a bleed test. sorry no pics. absolutely no feathering at all. the back side of the page showed what I wrote only very faintly. the back side would be usable given the bleed. in fact I wrote on the back and compared the other - initial side - and it is fine in terms of using the back page with the minimal amount of bleed. I used a franklin-christoph model 66 with a wide nib. maybe a "15" sorry I need a magnifying glass. and shin kai iroshizuku for reference. I will probably not frequently use this one with a fp anyway. Note book covers are very nice and hefty. double spiral rings are sturdy and pages turn without getting caught.

I like the rubber bands that comes with the notebook. But probably I will lose these. they are not attached. and not sure I would want them to be.

I also bought the slide rule (made in usa also). and its fantastic quality.

packaging came with some goodies like a vintage look postcard of Baltimore. wow inner harbor had trees once ... and a nice sticker.

all in all very satisfied. high quality and made in us so I will keep this company on my list to continue to look at / purchase.
I'm glad that you are enjoying your order. Post up some pictures if you get a chance i'm sure that everyone would like to see what you purchased!

Top Bottom