What's new

Review of the Upcoming Fine Accoutrements SS New LC Homage Razor

3584653C-BCF3-4242-9B97-0204A09F2D2E.jpeg

Review of the Fine Accoutrements SS New LC Homage Safety Razor

Yesterday I received the new SS Safety Razor from Fine Accoutrements. It arrived in a plain padded paper mailer with each of the three parts of the razor in its own plastic bag.
809ABC12-2703-4375-81EB-50DF92A1FB06.jpeg

Initially, I was surprised by the basic nature of the packaging, but upon closer examination I noticed the fine Guilloche knurling on the handle along with the polish and evident quality of the build.
3AC48430-368B-484A-875E-82A1BCD14F14_1_201_a.jpeg

Since it was touted as mimicking the head geometry of the Gillette New LC, one of my favorite shaving safety razors, I looked for an open comb baseplate and instead found a safety bar baseplate reminiscent of the Muhle R41’s. Notice I said reminiscent, but with more distinctly rectangular lather channels that when viewed from the blade edge perspective did indeed bring to mind an open comb.
85422DB4-8349-430C-83F2-61B4DFBC77E7_1_201_a.jpeg

According to information later provided on the DFS forum, Todd, the owner of Fine Accoutrements explained that the packaging simplicity was all about attempting to control costs, while offering a SS razor designed to compete with SS razors from competing modern artisan safety razor providers, most of whose offerings are well north of $200 with some rare exceptions. As an admitted fanboy of Fine’s Marvel Safety Razor, I was eager to try this new offering. This new razor weighs in at 97.2 grams, and has a comfortable heft in hand.The guilloche knurling is remarkable, and much finer than that found on the Christopher Bradley razor handle from Karve Shaving. It almost seems to latch on to one’s fingers, providing an extremely secure, non-slip grip.

For this shave I selected the last blade from a tuck of Sharp Stars of which only 4 five blade tucks remain. These blades are quite sharp, but also unbelievably smooth shaving. Loading the blade was uneventful. It seated evenly with precision. Other parts of the shave included Mitchell’s Wool Fat shaving soap, the PAA Rabid Banana Preshave Cube, and my Viking Silvertip Badger Brush.Prior to my shower, I bloomed the MWF and soaked my shave brush in warm water. I began the shave with the usual cold water rinse and then scrubbed both mug and dome with the Rabid Banana Preshave Cube. The MWF delivered its usual yogurty, shiny and slick lather which was then applied to both face and head. I turned up my hearing aids and was rewarded with that delightful ‘buttering toast’ refrain as the Fine razor tore through the 24 hours of shave stubble in that first WTG pass. The second XTG pass continued the whisker reduction process to such an extent that I could have easily quit With a very respectable DFS++.

However, my friends at TSD who know me, know that I just can’t help but chase the baby! So, after lathering up for the third and final ATG pass I had at it and put the baby to bed. I feel refreshed, cool, clean and unbelievably velveteen! In summary this razor shaved every bit as well as my modern artisan offerings. It felt well-balanced in hand, and easily held its own and even out shaved some of my other SS modern artisan offerings $50 to $100 or more. I like this new razor and would recommend it unhesitatingly to anyone who asked. From a shave efficiency standpoint I would put it at about 6 or 7 on a 10 point scale. It’s well-engineered and easily lives up to the “Worlds Finest” assertion printed at the base of the handle.
FBF772D7-57E1-476A-BDB9-F79343D1D42C_1_201_a.jpeg

RAZOR: Fine Accoutrements SS New LC Homage Razor
BLADE: Sharp Star (1)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.

Last edited:
Thank you for the well-written review. Have they settled on a price?
Yes, the razor will be released on 7/23 for $165. There are only 100 razors that will be available in this first offering. First come first served!

Last edited:
...Todd, the owner of Fine Accoutrements explained that the packaging simplicity was all about attempting to control costs...
Well, it clearly didn't work!
:lol1:

...while offering a SS razor designed to compete with SS razors from competing modern artisan safety razor providers, most of whose offerings are well north of $200 with some rare exceptions...
Allow me to point out that you could buy three made-in-Canada stainless steel Razorock Game Changer razors for the cost of one of these made-in-China Fine razors.

You could buy six made-in-Italy all-brass Fatip Slant razors for the cost of one of these made-in-China Fine razors. Give one to all your friends!

Imagine, high-quality brass and stainless steel razors can be profitably made and sold in democratic countries such as Canada and Italy! No need to resort to Chinese outsourcing!

I know what I'm planning to get next. No doubt it will be one of the "rare exceptions".
:laugh:

Well, it clearly didn't work!
:lol1:

Allow me to point out that you could buy three made-in-Canada stainless steel Razorock Game Changer razors for the cost of one of these made-in-China Fine razors.

You could buy six made-in-Italy all-brass Fatip Slant razors for the cost of one of these made-in-China Fine razors. Give one to all your friends!

Imagine, high-quality brass and stainless steel razors can be profitably made and sold in democratic countries such as Canada and Italy! No need to resort to Chinese outsourcing!

I know what I'm planning to get next. No doubt it will be one of the "rare exceptions".
:laugh:
Good for you! I already own those razors. I’m quite happy with my pre-release Fine razor!

Great review, didn't even know Fine had this in the works.

So how does it feel on the face compared to a NEW LC?
It feels somewhat similar, but is a great shaver. For example I like to use my New LC baseplate with my AS-D2. That combo feels similar in the same sense as my Fine does. It has the same head geometry, although the baseplate on the Fine is not an OC, it feels like one and leaves the same kind of lather trails.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
View attachment 1128770

Review of the Fine Accoutrements SS New LC Homage Safety Razor

Yesterday I received the new SS Safety Razor from Fine Accoutrements. It arrived in a plain padded paper mailer with each of the three parts of the razor in its own plastic bag.
View attachment 1128765
Initially, I was surprised by the basic nature of the packaging, but upon closer examination I noticed the fine Guilloche knurling on the handle along with the polish and evident quality of the build.
View attachment 1128766
Since it was touted as mimicking the head geometry of the Gillette New LC, one of my favorite shaving safety razors, I looked for an open comb baseplate and instead found a safety bar baseplate reminiscent of the Muhle R41’s. Notice I said reminiscent, but with more distinctly rectangular lather channels that when viewed from the blade edge perspective did indeed bring to mind an open comb.
View attachment 1128767
According to information later provided on the DFS forum, Todd, the owner of Fine Accoutrements explained that the packaging simplicity was all about attempting to control costs, while offering a SS razor designed to compete with SS razors from competing modern artisan safety razor providers, most of whose offerings are well north of $200 with some rare exceptions. As an admitted fanboy of Fine’s Marvel Safety Razor, I was eager to try this new offering. This new razor weighs in at 97.2 grams, and has a comfortable heft in hand.The guilloche knurling is remarkable, and much finer than that found on the Christopher Bradley razor handle from Karve Shaving. It almost seems to latch on to one’s fingers, providing an extremely secure, non-slip grip.

For this shave I selected the last blade from a tuck of Sharp Stars of which only 4 five blade tucks remain. These blades are quite sharp, but also unbelievably smooth shaving. Loading the blade was uneventful. It seated evenly with precision. Other parts of the shave included Mitchell’s Wool Fat shaving soap, the PAA Rabid Banana Preshave Cube, and my Viking Silvertip Badger Brush.Prior to my shower, I bloomed the MWF and soaked my shave brush in warm water. I began the shave with the usual cold water rinse and then scrubbed both mug and dome with the Rabid Banana Preshave Cube. The MWF delivered its usual yogurty, shiny and slick lather which was then applied to both face and head. I turned up my hearing aids and was rewarded with that delightful ‘buttering toast’ refrain as the Fine razor tore through the 24 hours of shave stubble in that first WTG pass. The second XTG pass continued the whisker reduction process to such an extent that I could have easily quit With a very respectable DFS++.

However, my friends at TSD who know me, know that I just can’t help but chase the baby! So, after lathering up for the third and final ATG pass I had at it and put the baby to bed. I feel refreshed, cool, clean and unbelievably velveteen! In summary this razor shaved every bit as well as my modern artisan offerings. It felt well-balanced in hand, and easily held its own and even out shaved some of my other SS modern artisan offerings $50 to $100 or more. I like this new razor and would recommend it unhesitatingly to anyone who asked. From a shave efficiency standpoint I would put it at about 6 or 7 on a 10 point scale. It’s well-engineered and easily lives up to the “Worlds Finest” assertion printed at the base of the handle.
View attachment 1128769
RAZOR: Fine Accoutrements SS New LC Homage Razor
BLADE: Sharp Star (1)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.
Thanks for taking the time to post this nice review.

Every now and again I set a bit of time aside to read a post slowly and carefully. This was just such a time. Nice review/preview.

Top Bottom