What's new

Review of the OneBlade SE Razor

My understanding on Gem blades in the V2 Genesis were as you described. However I just had to give it a try and see for myself. I can say that I used a Gem blade with only the spine removed in my Genesis V2 today without any issue. As you noted it does not lock into place however the friction fit was tight and the blade did not have a smile. I have no problems getting good results with the Feather blade. The shave with the Gem blade this morning was a good as the shaves with a Feather. I will continue to use the Gem blade next week to verify the results.

Yes could you keep us updated on how the shave compares using the Gem vs Feather. If the shave is better in the V2 with the Gem blade without the spine I'd like to try it in mine. Honestly I have never taken the spine off a blade before and I'd like to find out the best method of doing it without damaging the edge.

Thanks

Yes could you keep us updated on how the shave compares using the Gem vs Feather. If the shave is better in the V2 with the Gem blade without the spine I'd like to try it in mine. Honestly I have never taken the spine off a blade before and I'd like to find out the best method of doing it without damaging the edge.

Thanks
Use 2 pliers. Hold the blade with one and the spine with the other. Gently rock back and forth and the spine opens up easily. The spine really comes off easier than oh think. It only takes 2-3 gentle rocks.

Use 2 pliers. Hold the blade with one and the spine with the other. Gently rock back and forth and the spine opens up easily. The spine really comes off easier than oh think. It only takes 2-3 gentle rocks.

Thank you so much for the instructions on to do it. In fact I've got to shave within the hour and I'm going to try the Gen in the Genesis V2 and compare to the Feather. I've got a ton of Gen blades so I'm hoping for the best.
:thumbsup:

You where spot on. It opened up very easily. In fact I'm going to start a new thread in a bit. I thought I'd kick it up a notch and compare both Gem & Feather blades in both the Genesis V1 vs V2 as I have both.

Last edited by a moderator:
You where spot on. It opened up very easily. In fact I'm going to start a new thread in a bit. I thought I'd kick it up a notch and compare both Gem & Feather blades in both the Genesis V1 vs V2 as I have both.
I would love to read your review. How did the Gem blade fit? Any modifications other than removing the spine? I am tempted to try a Gem blade but don't want to "shove" a blade it's not designed to use as the razor is not mine.

There's a couple OB threads here in the SE forum that has more than several comparisons between the Gem and FHS blades and even a Gem blade modification thread to use in the OB... Try the search function and you will find them all.

I would love to read your review. How did the Gem blade fit? Any modifications other than removing the spine? I am tempted to try a Gem blade but don't want to "shove" a blade it's not designed to use as the razor is not mine.
It fit in both the Genesis 1 and 2 and the only difference was with the Gem you don't get the click that you do with the Feather. in both they go right to the stops. I'll post up my comparison.

There's a couple OB threads here in the SE forum that has more than several comparisons between the Gem and FHS blades and even a Gem blade modification thread to use in the OB... Try the search function and you will find them all.

I've read most all of them and I agree the content is in them if you go all the way through them. The only thing is in most cases they talk a lot more about the Core with the exception of the pass around which I'd like to stay out of since I was not a part of it. The thread I'm interested in doing may be helpful to OB owners or those that might be thinking of picking up either a new V2 or a used V1.
Thanks for the input.

I've read most all of them and I agree the content is in them if you go all the way through them. The only thing is in most cases they talk a lot more about the Core with the exception of the pass around which I'd like to stay out of since I was not a part of it. The thread I'm interested in doing may be helpful to OB owners or those that might be thinking of picking up either a new V2 or a used V1.
Thanks for the input.
The threads I mentioned were from earlier in the year, (Jan-Mar), and at a time when no one had even heard about the Core...

eta... Here is the despining thead GEM PTFE Modification Instructions for OneBlade

Last edited:
Second shave with the Oneblade. It was much better. On day one the razor seemed to clog easily. Today I went with a thin lather and the results were much better.

proxy.php

IMG_1821.JPG

So today I did a little shave. My beloved 1912 against the Oneblade.

Oneblade- loaded with fresh Feather blade Retail is $399. Can sometimes be found for $300

British Ever Ready 1912- fresh Gem PTFE blade- No Retail- $15-30 buys a very nice 1912.

I thought about using a Gem blade in both, but decided to use what was recommended by the manufacturer.

Oneblade- Extremely easy to use and ridiculously comfortable. Reminds me of a cartridge razor, but of course better. It felt mild and left me with a very close comfortable shave. Not BBS, but close. The One blade is more comfortable than the 1912. The blade is very secure and the precision manufacturing is apparent. It feels and looks like a fine shaving instrument.

Ever Ready 1912- The British version is a tad more aggressive than it American cousin. The blade is more audible as it seems to sing when in use. The shave was not as comfortable as the Oneblade. It was however closer. After the third/final pass, I used each razor on the opposite side of my face on the chin area only. The Oneblade picked up a little stubble, but not much. The 1912 picked up where the Oneblade left off and finished the shave. I prefer the looks of the 1912, but there is no precision machining on this razor.

Final thoughts- The 1912 is more efficient than the Oneblade. The Oneblade really shines in terms of comfort. I could easily see a person convert from a cartridge razor to a Oneblade without a learning curve. The 1912 would take some getting used to. All things considered, you would have to choose between comfort and closeness. With the cost being so far apart, this would also affect the decision. The most asked question, "is the Oneblade worth the price tag?". That can only be answered by the user. If you are happy, then its worth it. If you spend $30 and are unhappy, then the $30 was a waste. The price of the Oneblade is out of my budget, so I do not have to choose :w00t:.

Thank you Charles @Komboloi for letting me use this wonderful razor.

Many thanks to @azwetshaver for his insights. Here's where the list stands:

Komboloi
dfoulk
RSP1
Heron
Feather-man
paintflinger
Sullybob
ShaverGN
JeffBr
intotheforge
Haggises
alabamalawyer
rabidus
azwetshaver
cgr86 (razor is in the mail)
jazzguy (next up)
Komboloi

@jazzguy, you'll want to make sure @cgr86 has your shipping address if he doesn't already.

Top Bottom