What's new

Review of the all-new Rockwell T2 Adjustable Razor

It should come as no surprise that I'm a huge fan of Rockwell razors, especially the 6S being one of my all-time favourite razors and one I will have in my den for my lifetime!

I ordered the recently launched Rockwell T2, which is essentially a fully revamped version of the Model T.

You can check out my original Model T review here:

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-review-of-the-rockwell-model-t.570032/

The T2 comes in the standard Rockwell packaging which looks great and keeps the razor safe during transit.
(I hope all razor companies switch to shipping razors in a small travel pouch or travel case or bio-degradable packaging)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The T2 looks quite similar to the Model T but there are design and construction changes that definitely improve upon the Model T. The section below the head look essentially the same but the head and inner components are different.

The biggest and most important change is the T-bar and it's fitting have been modified.
The bar extends up higher and now sits between the clamshell doors.

These changes may seem minor but honestly, they have transformed the razor completely in a practical sense….The blade alignment is perfect! No misalignment of blade reveal, no slanting of the blade, no bowing/smiling blade...It's just perfect! Pop the blade in, close the doors and you're good to go!

The doors on the T2 close and open without any lag (i.e. No "lazy" door). They also close evenly whereas on the Model T there were reports of the doors closing unevenly.

The adjuster ring turns smoothly and has infinity adjustment, so one can choose the setting perfect for them, whether it's 3.25/3.5/3.75 (or anything in between), rather than the click style which would limit it to only 3.5.

I find the settings on the T2 to be similar to the Model T on terms of efficiency and blade feel. Compared to the 6S/6C I find the T2 more efficient at the same setting. I would say a setting of 5 on the T2 is close to 6 on the 6S.

The T2 is a very smooth shaver!
It can be used at higher settings for more efficiency, without a harsh effect on the skin. Factors like blade gap, exposure, guard span, blade reveal are all balanced to make it a smooth and effective razor.

Overall, the T2 retains the best aspects of the Model T and improves on all the reported weaknesses to make a razor that is of a very high quality, aesthetically beautiful and highly functional.

Any Zamac still used in this one?

Oh yes. Here is the information that our member @Iron Paw got directly from Rockwell:

I emailed Rockwell about the T2, and the use of Zamac in it.
Their reply arrived this morning.
Quote:
"Thanks for contacting Rockwell Razors.
The Model T uses a combination of brass, stainless steel and chromed zinc components that meet extremely strict tolerance requirements. Multiple internal screws and springs are made of stainless steel. The T-bar assembly (safety bar, thrust plate and clamshells) is made of zinc. The dial adjuster, knob, internal nuts and the bottom end cap are made of brass

For transparency, there might be indeed Zamac components on the Model T razors, unfortunately. We wouldn't want to misinform you so I hope this information helps". Unquote:

So, the silo doors (clamshells) are still Zamac?
Or...have Rockwell forgotten already that the T2 diagram shows 'chromed brass externals' and a wee line leads to the silo doors?
The Rockwell T2 - https://getrockwell.com/blogs/journal/rockwell-t2
It sounds to me as if there are no substantial materials changes in the T2. It is essentially the same (in terms of materials) as the original Model T, which is to say major components (i.e. the T-bar assembly parts) are still zinc, aka Zamac.

This is on my list . So thanks for confirmation of what I suspected. I have the 6S and love it, also have the adjustable Merkur Futur and this is my next razor !!

Reactions: nav
I have bought the T2 and I can say that the razor Is an improved version of the T1. Very well built, no problems at all and It delivers the classical Rockwell shave: deep with a good comfort. I find that the T2, using the same regulation, gives a Little deeper shave than T1 while both delivers a deeper shave than the 6C. The only cons of this razor Is the Blade feel.

The doors look clunky to me. Aside from that it is a handsome razor.

Nobody can do the butterfly doors like Gillette.
Indeed, that goes to show again and again how far did Gillette knocked it out of the park back then. Fuss-free, accessible and reliable at a fraction of the price of current models. One other thing that escapes me, as far as I can tell - and please correct me if I'm wrong - none of the 'contemporary attempts' feature debossed numerals on the adjustment ring. I've tried to find out if and what kind of etching was used.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Indeed, that goes to show again and again how far did Gillette knocked it out of the park back then. Fuss-free, accessible and reliable at a fraction of the price of current models. One other thing that escapes me, as far as I can tell - and please correct me if I'm wrong - none of the 'contemporary attempts' feature debossed numerals on the adjustment ring. I've tried to find out if and what kind of etching was used.

"Yaqi adjustable"(Gibbs clone) feature debossed numerals on the adjustment ring.
"Merkur futur" was born approximately in the 1980s. It may be the fuzzy zone between contemporary and vintage (but closer to contemporary), adjustment ring is also engraved with gravure numbers.

"Debossed numerals" are easy to form directly on the mold, so brass and zamak and other cast products are more likely to be used.
Laser processing numbers can have more precise details and avoid losing paint during washing, which is a more convenient choice for modern machining processing.

Last edited:
"Yaqi adjustable"(Gibbs clone) feature debossed numerals on the adjustment ring.
"Merkur futur" was born approximately in the 1980s. It may be the fuzzy zone between contemporary and vintage (but closer to contemporary), adjustment ring is also engraved with gravure numbers.

"Debossed numerals" are easy to form directly on the mold, so brass and zamak and other cast products are more likely to be used.
Laser processing numbers can have more precise details and avoid losing paint during washing, which is a more convenient choice for modern machining processing.
My fault, bad thought projections. I meant it in the context of a durable base material, brass or ss.

ERS4

My fault, bad thought projections. I meant it in the context of a durable base material, brass or ss.

Rockwell 6s is also adjustable in a broad sense, and its numbers are debossed numerals; MIM processing involves mold manufacturing, so it is reasonable to use debossed numerals, which can reduce subsequent processing.

Laser engraving can also achieve deboss by increasing the power and burning time, but it will increase the higher cost.

Rockwell 6s is also adjustable in a broad sense, and its numbers are debossed numerals; MIM processing involves mold manufacturing, so it is reasonable to use debossed numerals, which can reduce subsequent processing.

Laser engraving can also achieve deboss by increasing the power and burning time, but it will increase the higher cost.
As it happens I've been in the mould manufacturing for quite a while now, ergo extensively familiar with all the above processes. Aside from a handful of precautions and exceptions, could be an alternative, although from a durability perspective it is still behind mould debossing if trans-generational aspects are to be considered. I was merely pointing at the feats that Gillette was able to pull back then, adjustable, brass, tto; although I cannot contest the appeal of a Rockwell 6s, it is still -from a technological standpoint- a simpler and less innovative, albeit effective DE razor.

As it happens I've been in the mould manufacturing for quite a while now, ergo extensively familiar with all the above processes. Aside from a handful of precautions and exceptions, could be an alternative, although from a durability perspective it is still behind mould debossing if trans-generational aspects are to be considered. I was merely pointing at the feats that Gillette was able to pull back then, adjustable, brass, tto; although I cannot contest the appeal of a Rockwell 6s, it is still -from a technological standpoint- a simpler and less innovative, albeit effective DE razor.
This is what I love about B&B. We actually have people with hands on experience in most of the areas we discuss. Thank you.

ERS4

This is what I love about B&B. We actually have people with hands on experience in most of the areas we discuss. Thank you.

Indeed, we all thank Anu for his contribution.
The gentleman's discussion in B&B taught me a lot.

It should come as no surprise that I'm a huge fan of Rockwell razors, especially the 6S being one of my all-time favourite razors and one I will have in my den for my lifetime!

I ordered the recently launched Rockwell T2, which is essentially a fully revamped version of the Model T.

You can check out my original Model T review here:

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-review-of-the-rockwell-model-t.570032/

The T2 comes in the standard Rockwell packaging which looks great and keeps the razor safe during transit.
(I hope all razor companies switch to shipping razors in a small travel pouch or travel case or bio-degradable packaging)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The T2 looks quite similar to the Model T but there are design and construction changes that definitely improve upon the Model T. The section below the head look essentially the same but the head and inner components are different.

The biggest and most important change is the T-bar and it's fitting have been modified.
The bar extends up higher and now sits between the clamshell doors.

These changes may seem minor but honestly, they have transformed the razor completely in a practical sense….The blade alignment is perfect! No misalignment of blade reveal, no slanting of the blade, no bowing/smiling blade...It's just perfect! Pop the blade in, close the doors and you're good to go!

The doors on the T2 close and open without any lag (i.e. No "lazy" door). They also close evenly whereas on the Model T there were reports of the doors closing unevenly.

The adjuster ring turns smoothly and has infinity adjustment, so one can choose the setting perfect for them, whether it's 3.25/3.5/3.75 (or anything in between), rather than the click style which would limit it to only 3.5.

I find the settings on the T2 to be similar to the Model T on terms of efficiency and blade feel. Compared to the 6S/6C I find the T2 more efficient at the same setting. I would say a setting of 5 on the T2 is close to 6 on the 6S.

The T2 is a very smooth shaver!
It can be used at higher settings for more efficiency, without a harsh effect on the skin. Factors like blade gap, exposure, guard span, blade reveal are all balanced to make it a smooth and effective razor.

Overall, the T2 retains the best aspects of the Model T and improves on all the reported weaknesses to make a razor that is of a very high quality, aesthetically beautiful and highly functional.
Awesome review. Thanks
I really like and appreciate adjustable razors. Do you happen to know where this one is made? I can't find any information regarding that.. anywhere

Reactions: nav
Awesome review. Thanks
I really like and appreciate adjustable razors. Do you happen to know where this one is made? I can't find any information regarding that.. anywhere

Thanks!!

Good question...I'm not sure actually.
Where a razor is made has never been important for me so honestly didn't check.

Perhaps one of the guys here have this info?

I know 6S is USA and 6C is China.
T2 may be Chinese made but assembled by Rockwell (just a presumption).

Thanks!!

Good question...I'm not sure actually.
Where a razor is made has never been important for me so honestly didn't check.

Perhaps one of the guys here have this info?

I know 6S is USA and 6C is China.
T2 may be Chinese made but assembled by Rockwell (just a presumption).
T2 is parts made in China, assembled in Canada I believe.

Top Bottom