What's new

Review of Proline and Dorco Artist Club blades

A few months back I was discussing Dorco blades and I was asked to share my thoughts, and being a man of my word, here it comes.

The Proline blades are definitely a full step down in sharpness compared to the Feather offerings. This means that they will shave easily and comfortably from new without wanting to constantly draw blood. I think they may be my preferred blade now after two shaves. I do like the Feathers, but my first four shaves with a new blade always has to proceed verrrry slowly and carefully, especially on the ATG passes.

The Dorco blades are yet another full step down in terms of sharpness, which makes me wonder how long they will last. I do very much like shaving with them because I can go full steam ahead from the very first shave. This blade also needs a more obtuse angle to compensate to the difference in sharpness compared to the Feathers.

So for those who are new to shavettes and wish to try this format, I recommend starting with the Dorcos which are the most forgiving. Then you can proceed to the Prolines, Kais, Feather Super Pros, and finally the Feather Pros.

I might add that I sourced the Dorco blades from Maggards, being the only source I could find. The Prolines I found on Ebay, and there were a few vendors for these.

Adding again to my comments above, the packaging of the Dorco blades is probably the best of any blade in this format, being much better than the Prolines which were rather tricky to load.

They are much easier to load into the razor. The magazine has an 'ergonomic' thumb slider that works very smoothly.

........ I recommend starting with the Dorcos which are the most forgiving. Then you can proceed to the Prolines, Kais, Feather Super Pros, and finally the Feather Pros.

Thanks... Great post, I just got a feather SS and some pro blades...

do you find the Feather Pros, sharper or more aggressive than Feather Super Pros?

which kai blade are you referring to? i have found captain, mild, mild pro so far.

I love the Schick Prolines. Smooth and comfy from the very first shave. I shave every other day and I'm getting 9 to 10 comfortable shaves out of a single blade, so essentially almost 3-weeks' worth of shaves from one blade, which I think is pretty good.

do you find the Feather Pros, sharper or more aggressive than Feather Super Pros?

Congratulations on the SS. it’s an amazing product. I find the supers more aggressive given the blade exposure. Not sure about sharpness. But if you have a very course beard I’d try the supers but only after you really have your tech down. They are insanely smooth but will bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which kai blade are you referring to? i have found captain, mild, mild pro so far.

I do find the Feather Pros to be slightly sharper than the Super Pros. No doubt this is because the Pros are about 2/3 the thickness of the Super Pros.

As an update, the Dorco blade was tossed after six shaves, while the Feathers will give me twelve, and yet are still sharper on the final shave than the Dorcos. The Proline blade is showing no sign of dulling after seven shaves.

I tried for the first time tonight, the combination of the Feather SS and the Proguard blade. I can tell you that this is a match made in heaven. It gave my easiest and smoothest shavette shave yet. It gave no hint of the harshness the other Feathers do on the first few shaves.

Oh and in answer to your other question - I was referring to the Kai Pink or Mild blade. I haven't tried the other Kais yet, but I will give my thoughts once I have.

I love the Schick Prolines. Smooth and comfy from the very first shave. I shave every other day and I'm getting 9 to 10 comfortable shaves out of a single blade, so essentially almost 3-weeks' worth of shaves from one blade, which I think is pretty good.

So as a comparison, how many shaves do you get with the Feather blades?

So as a comparison, how many shaves do you get with the Feather blades?
I toss the Feather out after about 5 or 6 shaves. The last Proline I used made it to 15 and was still doing a good job. It made me nervous so I replaced it, but I think it had a few more in it.

So the difference is even greater than I thought it was.

Top Bottom