What's new

Review of Pereira shavery soap

Pereira orange and cinnamon soap with activated carbon.
It looks similar to SV Dolomiti. Very hard puck in deep grey colour.
When you start to leather it it became brighter but the light grey colour remains.
Very easy to leather and the leather is very slick and protective. Very good glide and the post shave feel is excellent.
Very surprised with this soap. Never heard about it before but it became one of my best.
small-ceramic1111.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Never heard of it until now. Thanks for the review. Is the soap container ceramic?

Never heard of it until now. Thanks for the review. Is the soap container ceramic?[/QUOTE
There is a plastic and also the ceramic one. Take a look on their website. There is also other products on the site.
This soap I got from a group buy on my Facebook group of wet shavers in Israel.

It's an excellent soap. I've been using it since it was first released and, for me, it hits all the criteria we typically use to evaluate soaps. On June 29, 2018, Mantic59 reviewed the soap in Sharpologist and rated it highly.

The original soap with Activated Charcoal is available in both a metal tin and a ceramic dish. I acquired both and have already gone through the metal tin. I normally prefer tallow soaps, but this non-tallow soap is one of the exceptions which has earned a spot in my rotation. It lathers easily in Miami's hard water, and yields a thick, creamy, stable lather. The light scent has aquatic and floral notes. I don't usually care for strong floral notes, but this one is subtle and lovely.

There is an Orange Cinnamon version of the soap which is only available in a plastic tub. The scent is exactly what the name says. This version has less Activated Charcoal than the original version, so the color gray rather than black.

These photos are of the original Activated Charcoal version in the metal tin and ceramic dish. I don't have a photo of the Orange Cinnamon in the plastic tub.

20180609_152631.jpg

20180608_142656.jpg

Last edited:
I got it almost two weeks ago. A very nice gift to me.

So I got 3 soaps

It is very unique. I just have 5 soaps now, and I don't know much. It seems to me that it is like tabac but with a different scent to me.

I revived this thread since someone brought this soap to my attention. I just ordered one today of the Orange Cinnamon. I can't wait to try it. It has gotten great reviews.

It's been in my rotation since the past summer (bought it while vacationing in Portugal) and its a very good soap. Lathers well, glides well, and the post shave is excellent. Love the scent too.

One reviewer I trust said that it was not very slick if I recall and also drying to the skin.

No matter what product we are talking about there will always be someone who doesn't like it. Everyone has their own opinion. Most guys seem to like this one. Look at post #5. An excellent review and I trust his opinion.
This one seems to be a winner.

This is the ingredients list:

Ingredients: Charcoal Powder, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate,Laureth Sulfate, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Aqua (Water), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearic Acid, Kaolin,Benzyl salicylate, Coumarin, Citronellol, Linalool, Butylphenyl Parfum (Fragrance), Lanolin, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide)

It's not a traditional shaving soap. It is loaded with detergents/surfactants. It might lather up and shave great for all I know (I've never tried it), but my skin is highly sensitive to many of these ingredients, especially sodium lauryl sulfate. If you have sensitivity to SLS like I do, this "soap" is a non-starter.

It's not a traditional shaving soap. It is loaded with detergents/surfactants. It might lather up and shave great for all I know (I've never tried it), but my skin is highly sensitive to many of these ingredients, especially sodium lauryl sulfate. If you have sensitivity to SLS like I do, this "soap" is a non-starter.

Funny, this is one of the reasons I want to try this soap. SLS does not bother me but I find it prevents soap scum build up in my sink and pipes. I get tired of running a snake thru my pipes every 2 years.
I'm really looking forward to using it.

I got my soap in today, and tried it with tonight's shave. It is every bit as good as the other guys have said. Since it has already been covered quite well I'll just say I will be buying this soap again. Great stuff.

This is the ingredients list:

Ingredients: Charcoal Powder, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate,Laureth Sulfate, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Aqua (Water), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearic Acid, Kaolin,Benzyl salicylate, Coumarin, Citronellol, Linalool, Butylphenyl Parfum (Fragrance), Lanolin, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide)

That is an eye-opener.

Compare to the ingredients listed for Tallow & Steel Madagascar:
"Version 3: Stearic Acid, Water, Organic Argan Oil, Organic Glycerin, Essential Oils, Organic Castor Oil, Organic Safflower Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Tallow (Pasture-Raised), Organic Coconut Oil, Bentonite Clay, Sodium Hydroxide, Vitamin E, Silk"

I am happy with the one I have chosen.

That is an eye-opener.

Compare to the ingredients listed for Tallow & Steel Madagascar:
"Version 3: Stearic Acid, Water, Organic Argan Oil, Organic Glycerin, Essential Oils, Organic Castor Oil, Organic Safflower Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Tallow (Pasture-Raised), Organic Coconut Oil, Bentonite Clay, Sodium Hydroxide, Vitamin E, Silk"

Pereira's is far superior no question about it.

Last edited:
Far superior to T&S? For me, T&S is one of my favorites in terms of post shave feel (scents hit and miss). I don’t know anything about the Pereira soap, but is charcoal powder really the #1 ingredient?
This isn’t a being critical type of question, I really don’t know much about the chemistry of soaps but the Pereira list does seem much different than the other soaps that I really enjoy. That doesn’t mean it has be be bad, but it’s interesting.

Far superior to T&S? For me, T&S is one of my favorites in terms of post shave feel (scents hit and miss). I don’t know anything about the Pereira soap, but is charcoal powder really the #1 ingredient?
This isn’t a being critical type of question, I really don’t know much about the chemistry of soaps but the Pereira list does seem much different than the other soaps that I really enjoy. That doesn’t mean it has be be bad, but it’s interesting.

You have to try it to know what's it like. Of course everyone will have their own opinion. I love the stuff.

For me it's automatically inferior, and I don't have to try it to know that. Because I am sensitive to SLS, it's a non-starter.

I'm not the only person sensitive to it, either. Sensitivity to SLS is not rare.

As an example, I have seborrhea, which causes a lot of dandruff. I went to medicated shampoos for years with partial success. Finally I went to a dermatologist and got prescription anti-fungal shampoo, which worked a bit better, but was still not curative.

Made the switch to a shampoo bar without any foaming agents/detergents in it and my dandruff was gone in about two weeks. That was about 6 years ago.

Another example: I used to get a lot of canker sores. They hurt like crazy and lasted almost a week before they resolved. Switched to a toothpaste without SLS or SLES and the canker sores are gone.

I'm glad the product works for you. I'm just putting out a warning that this product is not in any way, shape, or form a traditional shave soap. It's mostly a collection of chemical foaming agents. Now that collection of foaming agents may well combine to make a fantastic lather for shaving, but even if it makes the best lather on planet earth, I can't use it. And I am not alone.

For those who are not sensitive and don't have a problem with it, enjoy it.

Top Bottom