What's new

REVIEW: My Yaqi synthetic brush addiction continues...

I like those rainbow looking brushes. How much of a backbone do they actually have?

The backbone on my rainbow brush on a scale of 1-5 would be about 3.5. I find it to have the ideal balance for a synthetic knot.

My APShaveCo tuxedo is a 5 and I can't splay it properly.

I find synthetics in general perform best when the backbone is 2.5-4.

Anything more than a 4, I'm not a fan but less than 2.5 is still ok as I enjoy the extra splay, like the TurnNshave angel hair which is a 25mm knot with the backbone of about a 1 on the scale, relative to my other synthetics, but I still love it!!

The backbone on my rainbow brush on a scale of 1-5 would be about 3.5. I find it to have the ideal balance for a synthetic knot.

Anything more than a 4, I'm not a fan but less than 2.5 is still ok as I enjoy the extra splay, like the TurnNshave angel hair which is a 25mm knot with the backbone of about a 1 on the scale, relative to my other synthetics, but I still love it!!
That's a good way to put it. So the Synbad would probably be 1 or 2 ish?

I have the Yaqi version of the synbad, which is set at a lower loft and has backbone of about a 3.

Coincidently, this also right up there for me as the backbone and splay are in excellent balance, but I do wish it was a 26mm knot instead of a 24mm.

I have the Yaqi version of the synbad, which is set at a lower loft and has backbone of about a 3.

Coincidently, this also right up there for me as the backbone and splay are in excellent balance, but I do wish it was a 26mm knot instead of a 24mm.
Oh alright,yeah I've got a 24mm , I want a larger knot too because it seems like a small 24. Thanks

That's a great scale there... I would put the Angel Hair at 1.5-2 though even with the loft at 56mm.

I have the APShaveCo SynBad set at about 56mm and would give it 2-2.5 and just used it yesterday and am thinking its about to overtake the Angel Hair for tops on my list...

That's a great scale there... I would put the Angel Hair at 1.5-2 though even with the loft at 56mm.

I have the APShaveCo SynBad set at about 56mm and would give it 2-2.5 and just used it yesterday and am thinking its about to overtake the Angel Hair for tops on my list...

Out of curiosity, which knot has less backbone than the angel hair, in your experience?

That synbad/Yaqi mew is just wonderful indeed!!

I did a modification on a rainbow image found on web. This would be my ideal shape. I hope I can make this modification, but don't know how.

Postino 20180823.jpg

Well, I own the evil zebra, the smaller red handled one with tuxedo knot, the mysterious space silver tip, and I ordered the high mountain silver tip today. Yaqi makes some fantastic brushes that are hard to beat for the price! I'd love to try that chasmere brush as well. I'd advise you to try their silver tips. Very densely packed, which gives them a good amount of backbone. I'm debating on selling my vulfix 2235s because I like them so much!

Out of curiosity, which knot has less backbone than the angel hair, in your experience?

That synbad/Yaqi mew is just wonderful indeed!!
The Cashmere from APShaveCo splays more easily than the Angel Hair and they are both set to the same loft. Pretty much all the knots I have set are 56-58mm and the only one I'm not sure about yet is the Timberwolf. I'm thinking maybe it needed to be higher yet as it is still a little stiff but I don't think I've used it enough so its really not broken in yet.

The Cashmere from APShaveCo splays more easily than the Angel Hair and they are both set to the same loft. Pretty much all the knots I have set are 56-58mm and the only one I'm not sure about yet is the Timberwolf. I'm thinking maybe it needed to be higher yet as it is still a little stiff but I don't think I've used it enough so its really not broken in yet.

I see. I haven't used the cashmere from AP but do have the 28mm cashmere from Yaqi, which is about a 2 in terms of backbone due to a glue bump, whereas my angel hair has no bump, hence the 1/5 backbone.

I really like the last couple of batches of Yaqi synthetics because they have low bumps but are also set a but deeper. This gives a good combining of backbone and splay whereas glue bumps give backbone at the expense of splay.

How would you assess the backbone of this brush? Mode than the Yaqi- Tuxedos?

The backbone is less than the Yaqi tuxedo but more than the Razorock plissoft as the Yaqi plissoft is slightly denser. It's a lovely knot!!

Top Bottom