What's new

Review: Monteverde Poquito

$image_1.jpg

So, I was looking for a narrow-bodied pen that would rest in my work notebook, which is smaller than a stenographer's pad. My uniform does not take large bodied pens comfortably in the pen pockets. I am inclined towards metal-bodied pens, smaller pens, and nibs larger than size Fine. This seemed to satisfy all criteria and serve my purpose, so I took a crack at the Monteverde Poquito.

$image.jpg

The pen is small, only 3/4ths the size of a Bic ballpoint unposted. Very. Small. I will attach pictures of the pen side-by-side with the Kaweco Sport, the nearest small-size pen I have on hand, and a medium-sized pen for comparison. It is lighter than the Pilot Metro and even medium-sized plastic pens, but heavier than disposables due to the metal body and feels solid. I wanted something that would hold up to being bounced around a bit. It hasn't leaked in my uniform pen pocket on the forearm, or in my pocket, or in my notebook, and I've got about a half a dozen sorties with it at high altitudes. If it went all Hero and spat up on me, it would have been returned already, however.

Comparative pics, with the Poquito, the Kaweco Sport, and the Jinhao X750 (a miscellaneous medium-sized pen I got at the same time as the Poquito to screw around with, the Jinhao is about the size of a Platinum Plaisir and a tiny bit larger than the Pilot Metro if I remember right)--
$image_2.jpg$image_3.jpg

Weight-- Overall: 17g (0.8oz) / Body: 12g (0.42oz) / Cap: 5g (0.18oz)
Length-- Overall, closed: 112mm (4.41in) / Overall, posted: 128mm (5.04in)

An adult male cannot write comfortably for any length of time with this thing unposted. I cup the palm of my hand over it and can manage, but it's weird. Clearly, it is designed to be used posted, and works well in that regard--it is essentially as comfortable to me as my unposted classic Sheaffers, say. If you have especially large hands and cannot use, for example, so large that you cannot use a Gillette NEW or Merkur 180 with their normal handles, this probably won't be a good choice for you.

The nib is smooth enough, but looks to be a generic 'Iridium Point Germany' nib. This may irritate you. I got it in Medium, because that's all it comes in. This may also irritate you! I like it better than the nib on the Kaweco Sport in Fine, but I have the feeling that the KS in Medium would work about as well. Note that I am left-handed, and prefer a pretty 'forgiving' nib because I write with the nib at a 60 degree angle. Sometimes, I write with the nib at a 120 degree angle or greater. I mention this because I have flow issues with some pens in Fine or Extra Fine due to the angle at which I hold the nib, and have this problem a bit with the Sport in fine; it's less of a factor with this pen in Medium (probably -because- it is a medium).

The pen requires a small-sized converter; I bought the 'Monteverde Mini-Converter' but the Kaweco Sport squeeze converter fits. International short cartridges fit, and I've used the Kaweco Sport cartridges without trouble. I have let it sit for a few days to a week and have no issues with the ink drying or not-flowing due to non-use, with both converter and cartridge. Mind you, I put the cap back on.

I paid $24, and at that price point I consider the Poquito a good value. I would grab it at $30, but would think twice at $40. It is a good budget compact, and while not the outrageous value I consider the Pilot Metropolitan, is worthy of consideration for those who want a small pen.

Last edited:
So, middling atrocious writing sample follows, pardon the iPad photo; don't have a decent camera out here:
$unnamed.jpg

In this case, Kaweco black cartridge on Rhodia paper. The nib is relatively smooth, though not the best I've had at the $10-25 range. At least it isn't scratchy. It is a more dry writer than the Pilot Metro, Lamy Safari, and Jinhao X750. If you think some mediums are a bit too wet for cheap copy paper at work due to feathering, that's a mark in its favor. I have a habit of making a 1 inch mark on scrap paper before I start writing and the habit is not necessary with this pen.

Last edited:
I got one of these a few months back, and it continues to be a go-to EDC at work (semiconductor engineering). Its little-bitty, but fits great in (and gets lost in) my jeans pocket with my keys. Love the metal body for its sturdiness. And the engraving on the nib may be a little cheesy, it makes me feel good looking at it -- kinda fancy.

Last edited:
I bought this same one, it's a great pocket pen, however beware of putting it in a pocket with anything else. Mine no longer has the coating on it and is down to the brass. It looked so bad that I ended up taking a sand/polish to it and now I have a full brass pen.

Top Bottom