What's new

Review: Liga Privada Dirty Rat

Figured since the nib has a sticky with a bunch of reviews, I'm hoping to maybe get something similar going in the brown leaf.

Brand: Liga Privada By Drew Estates
Size: 5 x 44 Corona
Wrapper: Connecticut Sungrown Habano
Filler: 5 different types of Honduran and Nicaraguan
Binder: Brazilian Mata Fina

Construction: It was a well rolled cigar with a nice oily dark brown wrapper. The wrapper was nice and oily with well constructed seams and very little veins. It also had a nice firm roll throughout the whole cigar.

Strength: This cigar had quite a bit of nic punch. I'm generally a pretty avid smoker of all things tobacco, but even then it got me a little light headed which is rare for me.

Flavors: Throughout the whole smoke there I noticed quite a bit of chocolate cocoa flavor along with a noticeable amount of earthy undertones to it. First third was spicer than the rest of the smoke. Second third was creamier but still held quite a bit of the cocoa and earthy flavor. What caught me a bit off guard was how it went from a spicy bold flavor to a more and more creamy mellow flavor. The last third mellowed out considerably from the first which is pretty opposite from most cigars I smoke where the end usually packs bolder, stronger, intense flavors.

Burn: Burn dead even from light till finish, ash was a dark grey and held tight for about an inch before I tapped it off.

Overview and other thoughts and impressions: This smoke produced a nice smooth draw. Since this cigar is a smaller gauge, I was surprised at the large abundant amount of smoke it produced. I will say that it definitely held up to the rave reviews that it has been getting. I only wished it was easier to get more of. If I ever get a chance, I will definately be buying as many boxes as I get my hands on.

I concur with all of the above, love those! I have only managed to stumble on to them once in a B&M & bought a half dozen or so; I wish I would have bought the entire box now.

Thanks for the great review Boro. As yet, I have not found a Drew Estate stick that I cared for. The flavor profile you describe here appeals to me, though. So I think I will give one of these a try. They do seem to be a bit overpriced, IMO. But I guess the only way to tell if they are overpriced, or properly priced is to smoke one!

I do like pigtails though. If we make this an ongoing thing, I may have to do a review for the PDR 1878 Capa Madura.

Thanks for the great review Boro. As yet, I have not found a Drew Estate stick that I cared for. The flavor profile you describe here appeals to me, though. So I think I will give one of these a try. They do seem to be a bit overpriced, IMO. But I guess the only way to tell if they are overpriced, or properly priced is to smoke one!

I do like pigtails though. If we make this an ongoing thing, I may have to do a review for the PDR 1878 Capa Madura.

Just curious, but what other drew estate sticks have you tried but didn't like? I've been a pretty big fan boy of the liga privada line by drew estates so far.

and i'll be looking forward to seeing the review on the PDR 1878 :thumbup1: I'm hoping to do 1 or 2 reviews a week, hopefully it will inspire a few others to do some as well.

Just curious, but what other drew estate sticks have you tried but didn't like? I've been a pretty big fan boy of the liga privada line by drew estates so far.

and i'll be looking forward to seeing the review on the PDR 1878 :thumbup1: I'm hoping to do 1 or 2 reviews a week, hopefully it will inspire a few others to do some as well.

I have tried the Natural, the Java wafer type cigar and an Acid or two. They did nothing for me.

But the Liga Privada actually looks like a cigar I might love. And I have heard good things about it even from those who aren't big Drew fans. Those comments, along with your review, have convinced me to give them a try.

Oh, and I won't be doing a PDR review until I restock. The only place I know that carries them is in Daytona Beach. Typically I go there only once every 3-4 months and I think the next scheduled trip is in May. But there are a few cigar stores in downtown St Augustine that I don't frequent, so I may take a walk later this week and check them out. The prices are a bit higher, but I could use stopping by a new shop just to see what's in stock.

Last edited:
I have tried the Natural, the Java wafer type cigar and an Acid or two. They did nothing for me.

But the Liga Privada actually looks like a cigar I might love. And I have heard good things about it even from those who aren't big Drew fans. Those comments, along with your review, have convinced me to give them a try.
Some people like those, but they are targeting a completely different market than the Liga Privada and Undercrown lines. Those are mainly infused cigars (not sure about the Natural line), and seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em proposition. If you like full-bodied cigars, definitely take a shot at the Ligas.

Some people like those, but they are targeting a completely different market than the Liga Privada and Undercrown lines. Those are mainly infused cigars (not sure about the Natural line), and seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em proposition. If you like full-bodied cigars, definitely take a shot at the Ligas.

That seems to be the case here. Completely different look and image from the other Drew stuff.

The Acid I tried was flavored but the others were not. I only tried the flavored because I recall smoking these really interesting flavored cigars back in the late 70's-early 80's. This crazy guy claimed to have a bunch of pre-embargo Cuban stock and he was infusing it with really fragrant oils. (I know--that sounds sacrilege to me now.) They were pretty interesting. You couldn't keep them in the same humidor as the other cigars--they were that strongly flavored/scented. I can't recall the name of the producer, but I think he just disappeared--unless he became Drew Estates. :laugh:

Anyway, the Acid was just an attempt at a bit of nostalgia. It failed. I haven't tried a flavored cigar since. Although I do have a couple of Maker's Mark cigars in my humidor (in their tubes). They were gifts ("He likes Maker's Mark and he likes cigars. These are perfect!") I'm not quite sure if I can bring myself to smoke one.

Top Bottom