What's new

Review - LA Shaving Soap Bespoke #1

My Bespoke sample be gone! After I got the sample a little hydrated it really gave fantastic shaves. I never would have sought a shaving soap with this type of scent, but it is really pleasant. It is a mellow burn, not a sharp stinger, of a scent. Recommend it without reservation. Thanks again for the sample!

Last edited:
What's the loading time on this soap? I see people compare this to MdC, and those same people say they can load MdC in 15 seconds enough for around 3 passes. Does this soap need a little longer loading, or is it about the same?

Wow, I shaved with it this morning. The smell is great. My wife even commented that it smelled good. As my wife puts it, I don't have the best sniffer around, so I wouldn't probably be able to pick out the individual notes, but I know that all together it smells great to me.

I have a couple questions for those who have used it.

1. The jar is small, are you taking out some and putting it in another bowl or something to load? Or are you loading right in the small opening? My smallest knot/shape had it slopping all over the place because of the small opening
  2. Is this a real thirsty soap? I am wondering if I couldn't have added more water.
  3. Has anyone tried it in a scuttle? How did it stand up against the heat?

I think that was all that was running through my head. I know the smell is great, my post shave face-feel is great, and the shave went great. Couldn't have asked for more this morning.

Wow, I shaved with it this morning. The smell is great. My wife even commented that it smelled good. As my wife puts it, I don't have the best sniffer around, so I wouldn't probably be able to pick out the individual notes, but I know that all together it smells great to me.

I have a couple questions for those who have used it.

1. The jar is small, are you taking out some and putting it in another bowl or something to load? Or are you loading right in the small opening? My smallest knot/shape had it slopping all over the place because of the small opening
  2. Is this a real thirsty soap? I am wondering if I couldn't have added more water.
  3. Has anyone tried it in a scuttle? How did it stand up against the heat?

I think that was all that was running through my head. I know the smell is great, my post shave face-feel is great, and the shave went great. Couldn't have asked for more this morning.

1. I transferred the soap from the small jar into a larger glass bowl and load from that.
2. Wouldn't call it thirsty.
3. If you use hot water straight from the tap in your scuttle you should be OK.

Thanks!

I have an anchor hocking glass jar I can put it in.

EDIT: Actually I have an old TOBS Mr. Taylor tub. I think I'll put it in there.

Last edited:
Can't believe I'm just seeing this thread now. Unless I posted in it and forgot...

You played a good game Scruff. Looking on the bright side of things I lost this auction and got me an R41. Glad to hear about the soap though. Might have to check this company out after the sabbatical.

And remember, be careful, for Saint Sue 2014 is JUST around the corner :)

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
So here's a little bump for this slightly older thread: I just got my first order of LASS - Vanilla/Eucalyptus/Spearmint. Absolutely smells wonderful, even better than I was expecting. Very nice scent and I can't wait to wake myself up to it tomorrow morning.

But I was also EXTREMELY pleased to find a sample of Bespoke No.1 also enclosed in the package as this thread really had my curiosity piqued. I opened it up and was met instantly by the Vetiver top note and a bit of pepper. Those are the two primary things that my nose picks up. Underneath I could find the clove and patchouli a bit as well, but I can't pick out the vanilla or bergamot at all. The scent is definitely an earthy vetiver to my nose. The other oils I didn't really pick up, although some of them I wouldn't now how to pick out anyway because my sniffer hasn't developed to that level yet.

Overall, I like it. I'm not a big vetiver guy, but I prefer this scent to the Mike's Vetiver I had in the past and gave away by a good bit. I do prefer the smell of B&M's Vetiver, Heather, and Clary Sage by a bit, but I have to admit that the two are very different vetiver fragrances and this one seems to put the Vetiver right up front more so than the B&M does, so big Vetiver fans will really like this Bespoke No.1.

I'd give the scent quality a 4/5 star rating, taking into account that I'm not a big fan of Vetiver as a top note but that I actually like this scent regardless. The strength is also exactly where it should be in my opinion, not too strong or too weak.

:thumbup:

Top Bottom